Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I believe, if you use iPlayer to watch live, catch up or on demand, you need a licence. 

iPlayer yes, I pad no... unless you watch iPlayer  ;)

The live TV loophole was made redundant about 5 years ago. If I remember correctly the only workaround now is if you record a +1 channel and then watch it later..

A simple BBC ' in-out' clause would be the answer..but agree with Brew..be careful what you wish for! I would  hate not to fast forward the adverts on the other approx 100 channels.

Sky football, BT joined in, now Amazon..

Do you have to buy a subscription to all three?

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Radio licences stopped sometime in the 60's (I think)

Not stopped, just integrated into the tv license. Have a look on tvlicencing.co.uk/how is the money spent.

Here's one that really 'pees me off', folks who do their shopping in petrol stations, leaving the car at the pump whilst meandering around aimlessly, instead of moving it out of the way !!! So that the queue behind can get filled up, pay and be on their way.

• Upvote 1

How do you define ‘poor’ though? What would be the cut off point? What evidence would need to be supplied? I’ve just received my over 75 free licence with the warning that it will only last until May 2020. That really is immoral to give free licences to the over 75’s and subsequently take them away. What next - the Christmas bonus?

That will be the square root of bugger all CT.

The TV licence generates an inordinate amount of grumbling, almost as much as parking fines  yet compared with other forms of taxation the amount is tiny.

The top bundle from Virgin is almost as much as the annual TV licence...  per month.

Could it be the fact payment is voluntary and not  taken surreptitiously  via PAYE or VAT?

4 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Claiming benefits would be the easiest solution but now it’s said that the licence fee might be abolished completely. 

This could veer into politics.

Getting rid of the licence will mean central government will have to pick up the tab and he who pays the piper calls the tune.

Governments, of any flavour, controlling the media is a very, very bad idea. It may also be the first step in selling it off.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Catfan

you go on about people claiming Pension Credit do you think this should be stopped? we are the 3rd richest country in the world and if we can't look after our own people, who, though no fault of their own need to claim Pension Credit. There will always be someone who gets though the net, but you have to know people's circumstances, what if they have worked all there lives but did not ever earn a decent living wage so only paid little into their NI stamps, so took out a firms pension to make up retirement money but still don't have enough to live on, or they could have  been  a carer for a family member, so you gave up your job to look after one of your family Care's Allowance stops when you reach pension age, so you have looked after someone for say 10 years on little money, so though no fault of you own you have to claim PC. Must admit I have not claimed but a few of my friends have.

Remember there for the grace of god go I.

Mary 1947

Mary please read my post again, I never suggested scrapping Pension Credit. I did suggest PC could be a yardstick for free TV licenses as PC is a means tested benefit.I suggested an added benefit for PC recipients.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, catfan said:

Mary 1947

Mary please read my post again, I never suggested scrapping Pension Credit. I did suggest PC could be a yardstick for free TV licenses as PC is a means tested benefit.I suggested an added benefit for PC recipients.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

I'm back on my soap box about packaging again.

The leader of the opposition bought some individual English pork pies so I thought I'd have one for lunch with a piece of bitey cheddar a pickled onion, an apple and some English mustard for the pork pie.

The pie was wrapped in a plastic bag (provided by the shop), a clear cellophane wrapper with a sticker and then a "shrink on" one inch wide plastic band around the pie telling me whose pie it was. Problem with the band was you could not rip it or get it of without destroying the pastry unless you got some scissors to cut it. I wonder which numpty thought that this was a good idea?

Why cant we go back to simpler times with just a quick wrap in butchers paper or pop it in a brown paper bag.

Because the H.S.E, snowflakes, numpties and other governing bodies would say it's unhygenic and we would all die from from some horrendous incurable disease.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My mobile phone provider keeps sending me texts asking if, for a few dollars more per month, I would like to increase my data download allowance.

If they looked at my current data usage they would see that I typically use less than 2% of my current allowance. So why on earth would I want more?

I don't use FaceTwit, InstaTok or SnapWhats. 99.9 percent of its use is a phone/text only. I'd unsubscribe but they do send messages reminding me to pay the bill which can be useful.

We get notices from the power company that we could go on 'budget' billing to even out our payments over the peak usage periods (usually summer air conditioning).

We added up our last years bills, then divide by 12 to see how it compared.   we would be paying a lot more per month over the years.  I suppose they need the money for their latest nuclear white elephant which is currently millions over budget. :(

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...