Things that pee you off...

3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I suppose they need the money for their latest nuclear white elephant which is currently millions over budget. :(

Only millions? you need a proper Brit company to come and show you how it's done. The HS2 line is already BILLIONS over budget and not a single mile of track laid yet...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Our electric utility is a Co-op, ie every customer is a shareholder, it's classed as a none profit corporation. I think we have the lowest Kw/h in the US, they are always suggesting ways to reduce our monthly bills.

Together with a couple of other Co-ops, we own our own coal fired station for base load, plus a large diesel station for back up during the hot mid summer months.

• Like 1

We don't have a Co-op in our area.  Have to go with the big guy, GA Power.  Judging by the power cuts we get every time it rains or the wind blows they need to spend a bit on their network.  I'd go off grid if I could afford it.

The big boy's didn't want the rural areas in the 1930's, so the people got together and formed the C0-operatives to bring electricity to the farmers and small towns.

Now they are trying to take over, if they manage it we know our rates will double.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Throw away society.

I have a Hayter lawnmower fitted with an electric motor. I bought it 25 years ago at my previous house where we had a big lawn but it is rather an overkill for my current lawn which is much smaller. However it’s built like a tank and in those 25 years has never missed a beat (except when I cut through the wire. Twice). I used it recently for the first time since it’s winter lay up and it started smoking. Investigation showed that there is a clever but simple pressed metal device that pushes on some brake shoe type material inside the motor that was rusted and very worn. Probably costs pennies to make. Hayter informed me today the motor is only available as a complete unit cost about £150.00. So I should throwaway a heavy lump of a motor for the sake of a simple piece I can’t get. Ridiculous.

This really p’ss me off.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Depends. There’s always someone out there who does bits for motors.

Possibly https://www.hayterspares.co.uk ? 

I’ve looked and looked Rob including there. No joy. Everyone just wants to sell the motor. I can and probably will just remove the brake unit. It will work without it. The downside is that the rotary blade will spin for some time after the power is cut, an obvious risk to toes and fingers but if I’m aware it’s my risk. I agree with you Ian Finn. I’ve had my monies worth out this but it still seems an extravagant waste to ditch a heavy quality motor for the lack of one tiny cheap part. 

2 hours ago, radfordred said:

Pee you off you say, see the post above, Was quoting the previous post really needed? It’s up there we can all see it ........... twice. :shout:

Yep, really so annoying. I am so peed off. ;-)

1 minute ago, West Bridgfordian said:

Yep, really so annoying. I am so peed off. ;-)

So am I. 

On 1/17/2015 at 6:11 AM, mick2me said:

Overquoting has is now getting out of hand.

Reading some threads it is now constant from some members who should know better!

Newbies can be excused, until they get the hang of it..

If this continues I will put accounts into moderate status, which mean your post will only appear when a moderator gets time to read and approve it.

Those who abuse the quote facility damage our ability to keep all our posts online.

If you do nor want your posts deleting do not abuse the quote facility.

Hats off to Mick2me for still paying for this site out of his pension fund, we’ve just had our house phone removed we don’t use it anymore? They say you don’t miss it until it’s gone? 

• Like 1

I would think that the quoting problem mick2me referred to is when long posts are quoted immediately below in a reply or multiple long quotes from previous replies are made in subsequent replies. I quoted a very short piece here and occasionally do quote an edited small portion of a post which I believe helps the context which I don’t think Mick2me had in mind when he said this. But don’t quote me.

Would not need to use the quote function so much if they brought back the post numbers.

I'm guessing that a lot of people use the "quote button +" at the end of the post which quotes all that is posted instead of highlighting just the bit they want and quote that.

Re Letsavagoo's lawnmower part, if you could make a sketch of the old part you could get a new one 3D printed in metal if it is not too big.

Not that expensive. If you have the right app on your smart phone the 3D printing company could use the photos to make the mathematical model needed for 3D printing.

• Like 1

No, no divi Oz, just lower rates than the giant corporations.

Motor parts, have you done a good search of the internet??? I have a Ryobi 240 volt circular saw that I bought when I lived down under and had given me good service, but the trigger switch went out. I searched all over for that part, which was made by Bosch, no luck, so the saw went in a box under the bench and sat there for a few years.

I tried several years later in a search of the net, again with the Bosch part number and came up with one success, a gentleman in China had them, so ordered a few as they were pretty cheap. One saw back in service!!

Looks like the feller buys NOS of electrical and electronic parts for his warehouse and makes a good living selling them.

Thanks for the thought Rob but mine has a fairly large electric motor not petrol.

Hayter don’t have an exploded view of the motor so no individual motor parts listed. Only one part number for the whole lump. Not much to the motor. No brushes as it induction so there’s the outer shell with all the windings, the rotating part on an axle, 2 bearings and then the two small parts that form the power off brake mechanism. The bearings aren’t a problem, they’re standard and easily obtained. 

Re: Quoting:

There do seem to be some here (and on other sites I visit) who think that 'quoting' is somehow inherently 'evil'.  Others seem to think that any post more than a couple of lines long is 'too much'.  This mystifies me. It's barely possible to have a conversation or discussion that way and anyway, as I frequently observe, nobody is obliged to read anything posted.. or quoted here.  There are whole threads here which I ignore because they hold no interest for me.

I believe there are a couple of issues here which may be getting confused.

1. I don't see how quoted text is anymore 'bandwidth hungry' than ordinary text in a post. I've checked on other sites and had the response from the owners that it only adds up to 'a few bytes'. One commented that no site should be running 'so close to the wind' that quote/post length is a significant 'bandwidth' issue.

On the other hand I do recognise that Mick pays for the site hosting himself and I for one would be happy to pay a small annual contribution to help in this regard.  Of course that can raise other issues.  Put simply, the site is Mick's and he could, if he wished, limit posts by character total, ban quoting altogether, or whatever he likes.. though I doubt he'd do so.  OTOH, if people had paid towards costs, they might reasonably demand a bit more say in 'what gives'.

2.  Posting/Quoting etiquette.

Clearly, just quoting a whole post , especially a long one, is not helpful and it is lazy.  Whether or not it is a bandwidth issue, it's just 'bad form'.  If you like a whole post, use the like button.

If you want to 'dissect a post' and respond to various points, then the 'quote selection' function is ideal.

I agree that restoring the post No./# code would make it easier just to just say " Oi... XXXXX.. your post #X is a load of XXXXXXX"  :laugh:

• Like 1

Lawnmower spares.

Theres a place in Wigan.  I've been in a couple of times though only for Flymo bits.  They do list Hayter.  It's about 5 miles from here. They were very helpful on both occasions, so may be worth a try.  They might have a s/h bit knocking about.. who knows? 

http://mowerpro.co.uk/lawnmower-dealers/wigan-mower-centre/

How does one select bits of a quote on a tablet? I've managed to do it on pc ,but not sure how you can highlight a bit, when you don't have a right click mouse to work with.

If you’re on an iPad you tap a word on the quote and a pop up should appear. Choose ‘select’ and drag the highlight area to the text you wish to delete. Once you have selected the text hit delete. 
assume it’s similar on android etc.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...