Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Same with tablets, Beekay. Touch the word you wish to start with and you can then drag the highlighted section to the point where you wish to stop.  You'll then be prompted to cut, copy, etc. Choose what you want to do, then go to the place you want to paste it and press on the screen. The word PASTE should appear. Tap PASTE and Bob's your uncle.

If you don't hear from me again, its because I've been deleted by Radford Red! ;)

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I agree that restoring the post No./# code would make it easier just to just say " Oi... XXXXX.. your post #X is a load of XXXXXXX"  :laugh:

I believe that is a simple On/Off selection which was somehow switched off on a software update in the past. Mick has the power to reinstate it...if he can be contacted or persuaded.

(And I only quoted part of the original, to make sure I didn't have any curses placed upon me).

TBH, I don't think this software version has a post numbering system.

11 hours ago, Beekay said:

Should've expected some smartarse remark from Radford Dread.

RR made very recent post, after bollocking me may I say, where he used quotes. He’s put his hands up and indicated it’s fair cop.

Even mick2me has commited the same offence in the thread ‘Nottingham eccentrics’. 

Without doubt a post numbering system would help as per the previous couple of posts, that I won’t quote suggest.

In my grandfathers letters he wrote home in ww1, he was never sure if letter he received from his wife was the next one she’d written as although the war time post to lads on the front was remarkably efficient, some did go astray so he suggested that they would number their letters so they would know if one was missing. Could we try a similar system and put a sequential number at the start of each post. Like theirs I bet it wouldn’t last. 

Agree with you, whole heartedly,  mind you I'm  still waiting for my wartime letters. No bugger writes to me as they were glad to see the back of me. "Happy Days ", Let's.

Letsavago re lawnmower spares.  Like many of us, don't like to throw machinery away if it can be repaired.  If I was you I would, if possible, remove the metal part, take a photo and see if anyone can make a new one.  There are plenty of 'men in sheds', model makers, garage mechanics etc.who would be only too happy to try and help you - there are quite a few Nottsalgians that like to tinker about as well!

Good luck

Dear All, Things that Pee Me Off.

Whilst I love this website and I find a lot of the topics, both educational and interesting, from a historic back ground, I was very distressed to find a comment about eccentrics! Especially when it concerned my own Grandfather!

Mick to Me, wrote a comment (Mad as a Parrot) in 2009 about Freddy Wigley, who was an old Joiner at the Co-Op, in 1970, this was when Mick to me, was an Electrician.

For information, Frederick Wigley was a member of the Pioneer Corp, who took part in the allied landings of 1944.

Fred, was quite a humble and private person, who cared a lot about his Family and never really mentioned much about his time, whilst serving his Country and defending his Family. Fred, had three other Brothers, who also served. One of which gave the ultimate sacrifice in Italy, which deeply affected him. I personally give thanks to Fred (Granddad) and all the Wigley’s who did there bit. This also includes all the past Service Men & Ladies. Thank you all. Still Love you Grandad.

Fred, Past Away, Peacefully on the 14th February 1997, he had been unwell for some time, but had kept it secret from the Family, due to the fact he had been nursing his very ill Wife, Edith, who only past away some months before him.

Mick to Me and any others, please do not write offensive articles and do not use direct names. The power Of The internet can allow text to be read for generations to come. As an administrator, you should know better, please abide by the rules that are set by the websites forum.

• Like 4

I will agree wholeheartedly with your remark about being careful what you say about people. You've clearly taken offence at mick2me's comment but I didn't see the remark as malicious or offensive but almost an attribute. I did strongly complain when someone made allegations of abuse by a named teacher as if these allegations had never been proved in a court then they were libleous but real names are fair game I'm afraid. 

I'm afraid you are being overly sensitive and blowing things out of proportion. You are taking offence where none intended, an ever increasing practice in this world of 'me too' I'm sad to say.

'Mad as a parrot, Mad as a box of frogs' etc. are sobriquets and should be taken in the lighthearted and jocular, even affectionate manner meant.

To you he was grandad, to others he was a working man and colleague, the two personas were not necessarily the same.

The internet and forums in particular are always in danger of misinterpretation, it is difficult to convey mood and context in print and if someone considered him an eccentric it was probably with reason. An eccentric is a person who follows his own path, possibly unconventional but definitely not one to follow the herd, be proud of him.

• Like 1

Dear Brew,

Whilst I appreciate your own opinion, please respect my own opinion and our Families own feelings.

In my professional area in Law, I have clients who would take legal action to such liable acts. The mention of the named and area, where the named persons live, are far out of the sites own parameters and Mick to me / web site, has left them selves wide open to litigation.

Lighthearted and jocular / Banter, can be and is at times offensive, victimisation, deemed as “Bullying” The site has sold its self short, where this has not only been written by an administrator of the site, but the comment has been left to be viewed on the World Wide Web. 

Apart from my own professional capacity, one of my charitable voluntary works are spending time with many former service men, from the 1940’s. Some were found to be, as mentioned as eccentric, however I have come across a lot of People who never really got over there own experiences / scars / illnesses, caused by conflict.

Ultimately, it’s an old adage..... The word is Respect.... Many, so called Persons should learn the meaning of the word.

Never judge another, unless you has stood in there Shoes. 

Many Thanks.

• Like 2

J - If I was a sensitive soul I would be taking legal action against a lot of people past and present.  Being deaf and until recent years extremely short sighted made me a prime target. I still get described at that deaf old git but it's true and not meant to be offensive. I do give as good as I take though and having a bit of banter is far better than being miserable. 

Just lighten up a bit hey :biggrin: 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I judged you as being overly sensitive and I stand by my opinion and my right to voice it. I could have been far more forthright.

As for respect, I have it in spades for those who warrant it.

You mention bullying and again in my opinion your post is a text book example of passive aggressive bullying  reinforced by  your use  of the veiled threat of litigation. 

There is something a little hypocritical here whereby you are quite happy to say some of your clients/customers can be labelled eccentric but are outraged and upset if they include grandad...  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can we put an end to it, it's spoiling the site.:Kiss:

Beekay, Ayup if you think the world and this forum will never have differences of opinion I've got bad news for you.

Jakobite made a point, I answered as did PP and all were civilised and reasonable. The gist of my reply was being over sensitive. If you think the last 2 or 3 posts are worth getting het up and complaining about you must live very sheltered lives...  :angry:

• Like 2

I merely asked can we put an end to it, too many are getting their panties in a twist over something that was posted years ago.:Shock:

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...