Things that pee you off...

I quite agree Ayup, it just annoys me when it seems the whole damn world is trying to control our thoughts and deeds screaming 'I'm offended' by things that are simply the rough and tumble of life.

We can't have rainbows everyday and providing we don't let our differences become acrimonious they will happen and soon be forgotten as we move on.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

@radfordred  kids get the order of the colours wrong because of that silly song about 'singing a rainbow '

The song says ..... red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue

How did everyone on here learn the colours in the right order?  I know of 2 ways ....

Leave the rainbows alone, whatever their size or shape it all comes down to one thing.

HOPE

And if you haven't got it , there's no hope for you.

I love to see misshapen rainbows, it shows kids love them. thumbsup

32 minutes ago, MargieH said:

How did everyone on here learn the colours in the right order

I didn't and still don't Margie..   

@ann swabey   I do know that mnemonic but I actually learned the colour order as the name of a man called ROY G BIV.

Any  other ways people remember?

• Like 1

How about this for a mnemonic.

'After expressing joy in suitable language my Indo- Japanese servant brewed my coffee'.

It's to remember the anterior venous system of the common frog.

I still remember that from my A level biology days! A mine of useless information me!

Another on for light aircraft pre take off checks:

Tommy tickled Mary carefully for five gorgeous ecstatic heavenly hours.

So Phil, you remembered the mnemonics but can you remember the actual words you wanted to remember?

Does that sentence make sense ?

Anterior vena cava, external jugular, innominate, subclavian, labial,?, internal jugular, brachial, musculo cutaneous- or something like that.

Trim, throttle, mixture, carb heat, fuel, flaps, gauges, electrics, harness, hatch secure. Flying controls full and free movement. How about that!:biggrin:

Well remembered Phil!   You could have ended up as a vet or airline pilot instead of an accountant (?). A man of many talents.......

I am getting increasingly peed off with websites wanting to deliver "news" via short videos instead of text.

I can read and I don't want the drivel that goes most video including introductions and closing comments.

If there is waffle in the words I can skip it and go to the bits that contain the actual news content, it is hard to fast forward through the videos as there is no discernible difference between news and waffle.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

People who assume they can post your address, & number plate, as they drive by..just because you have a few interesting vehicles, best to hide your stuff behind electric gates....

• 2 months later...

So the BBC are issuing instructions to staff not to use certain words and phrases that the politically correct brigade and other associated loonies have taken exception to . It is about time the rest of us said enough is enough and told them to go and do sometbing constructive. The British language has been about for longer than the loonies and is simply being hijacked by them to further their perverted ideas. Racism does need to be stopped but outlawing any word that contains black is not the way to do it. Are we going to rename Blackpool and Blackburn or do away with blackberries and blackcurrants to appease these oversensitive individuals?

• Like 2

Problem with the pc mindset is that they are never satisfied.  Even when society bends over backwards to accomodate them they will find something else to be offended about.  It's time society as a whole told 'em to gerrovver it or move elsewhere.

• Like 1

I enjoy offending the pc brigade. At my age you can say pretty well what you like and people just think ‘poor old fool’. I also act the doddering old person when out shopping and people come to my assistance so I just stand there and let them assist even though I’m more than capable of doing it myself! :biggrin:

• Like 1

George Orwell came up with:

“If thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought”.

Most politically correct speech is obfuscation, it's less direct, less expressive (Homosexual = Gay. Immigrant = Newcomer. Illegal immigrant  = undocumented...). the list goes on. The basic premise is not to upset or offend. 

In Orwell's view as language becomes less expressive thought processes become restricted and the mind more easily controlled. 

We are all to some extent going along with this. There are things we dare not say and  times we are made to feel guilty without good reason... 

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...