Things that pee you off...

When I were a school caretaker, we were told we weren't allowed to say 'blackboards. We could have 'whiteboards, greenboards or " chalkboards". When asked what colour were chalkboards? Was told, "black, of course".

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

I am in a Black mood after reading this, so as I dont want to offend these idiots I am going to write my thoughts on a black board so no one else can see them.  I too never intentionally set out to offend anyone, well most of the time, but when the occasion arises I can be the silly old idiot and say the wrong thing.

6 minutes ago, trogg said:

I can be the silly old idiot and say the wrong thing.

No wonder you're in a Black mood Trogg if someone is Blackening your name. Writing on a blackboard to hide your thoughts, what coloured chalk will you use?

If you can say whiteboard, then you can say blackboard!  I'm with philmayfield. I say what I like and I don't give a damn. If people wish to take offence at nothing, that's their prerogative but it won't prevent me saying what I wish to say. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Brew said:

No wonder you're in a Black mood Trogg if someone is Blackening your name. Writing on a blackboard to hide your thoughts, what coloured chalk will you use?

Obviously yellow! Oh, wait a minute.........

Don't get on to me. Just passing on I was told back in 1989. I always ordered 'blackboard paint when ordering stock. Nobody ever queried my order. Wasn't even supposed to order black ink. Don't know who it could possibly be I would offend ?

3 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Obviously yellow! Oh, wait a minute.........

Careful PP, you might upset our far Eastern cousins.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Automated voice recognition especially with British Gas. Do you want to report a fault "no" do you want to submit a meter reading "no" please state the reason for your call, no reply, then ring tone appears, wait for 10 mins and then give up. This is after they send you a letter saying they would like to talk to you about your smart meter which is useless.

• 2 months later...

SIR ? Lewis Hamilton...........unbelievable

also in the running for''BBC sports personality of the year''''   even more Unbelievable........Sad state this country is in.............

• Like 1

The rewards of a privileged upbringing. It's the strategy in the pits that win the races on the Scalextric track.

The driver is secondary. The races are so predictable. I stopped watching F1 ages ago, much prefer touring car racing. At least they try to overtake, almost at all costs. Sometimes it's a free for all, especially with the junior drivers.

I don’t decry the guy’s achievements on the track. Well done to him for that but he makes millions and lives as a tax exile whilst us poor buggers living in the UK have to pay income tax. I do know a chap up the road who’s just got an OBE for ‘political services’ (contributions and service to the Tory party) but he does pay UK tax.

These exiles are quick to pay lipservice to what they think are good causes but conveniently look after themselves first. Put your money where your mouth is and live in the UK, plus pay your taxes like the rest of us.

They seem to give out knighthoods and 3 letter titles like dishing out sweeties nowdays. Why don't they just give them to people who have earned recognition from charity work and devotion to duty etc. not somebody who wins a few races or scores some goals and wotnot. You can almost buy a title now days.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Think i'm getting a bit Grumpy with age...........peoples use of the following words really Pee's me off....

Absolutely

Awesome

Wow

Amazing

So

But worse of all its the Upspeak.....which is now Common,,,,every sentence ending in what sounds like a Question.........

Our grandchildren ‘upspeak’ but their parents don’t so they must have picked it up from school or TV.    I am noticing it less now so must be getting immune.  

29 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Absolutely

Awesome

Wow

Amazing

S

Don't forget to add LOL. (silliest thing I've ever heard of).

• Like 1

I agree it's annoying hearing people start a sentence with 'So', but in the last few months I've seen a lot of examples of people using it in writing. They're typing it out as well.

Posting on forums or messages and texts; they all have an unnecessary 'So' at the beginning of them.

I like to hear regional dialects. Obviously not Brummie, Scouse or Glaswegian! I think ‘Nottingham speak’ is more of a lazy way of talking rather than a true accent. In the Notts area the language gets more unintelligible the further west you go. Jacksdale and Awsworth come to mind. There were some from those parts at Mellish. Around here the old farming types speak quasi Lincolnshire, otherwise people speak ‘posh’ as they work in the city. Even our children had speech and drama lessons but that was more to boost confidence and at the behest of my wife who was a schoolteacher and always spoke correctly, even though she taught at Rainworth. I doubt the kids from there understood her!

Don't Mind LOL...AT least it serves a purpose....IE  you aren't being nasty or serious.............LOL

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...