Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

Long live Accents.........be boring not to say irritating if we all spoke Proper even Posh........Love accents....

Scouse

Cockney

Brum

Glaswegian

Geordie

Why would we all want to be the same?

• Like 5

In my experience.. there's no such thing as a 'typical' Scouse accent. Most genuine scousers have a fairly 'gentle' accent..and the pronunciation varies noticeably in different areas. There is though a 'species' of Scouser which has a very strong accent.. which is almost a caricature. Some call them 'plastic' scousers' Very 'gutteral', with extreme vowel sounds so that 'work', becomes 'weeeeerkk' and a lot of 'nasal' elements feature. It's most prevalent amongst the 'wannabe' gangsters and other young thickos who populate certain areas of Merseyside.. oddly enough mostly well outside the city of Liverpool.

The same applies in Nottingham.. again.. in my experience.. and I suppose it must apply elsewhere.

Here in the Grand Duchy.. only about 15 miles from the centre of Liverpool.. the local accent is a strong version of a Lancashire accent.. which is similar to, but different from many others.  For e.g., Bolton has a strongly noticeable accent, which differs from Wigan, which differs from Leigh, etc.

I don't mind accents at all.. but I do find it amusing how some people are totally incapable of moderating their accent when speaking to people who clearly understand English, but don't understand English accents.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

(just for you BK)

You've got me on this one Mr. Mayfield. Explanations accepted. ;)

Phil and Jill, you say you bet/wager I speak properly.  Well, you should come to the next meet-up then you’ll find out.   I hope I speak in a grammatically correct manner, but I think my accent is a mixture of Nottingham and one which is more Southern.  I automatically  change to one more than the other depending on who I’m talking to (sorry about the who/whom and the preposition at the end    lol).  I don’t try to do this. - it just happens naturally.

Over the years i've lived in different parts of the country and worked for longish periods in others....so ive had to speak without the Notts expressions.......

The first proper talk/short speech i gave was in Peterborough....thought i did ok..but my Boss said...'''Well done Ben think they understood some of it'''       

A week later i had to give a speech to about 200 prospective clients at a 'Posh Hotel''......

To say i was nervous would be putting it mildly.....however with the help of a couple of large 'Whiskies''' i did it...think went down ok.......

Usually i understand most accents even Glaswegian without a Problem.....the one i struggle with is the Wife's original home town with all her relatives when they get together  ''Exeter''

I have a scar on my cheek, my forehead and my hand from my numerous adventures. The Scottish one was just an abusive expulsion from a pub. I was warned not to go down the Gorbals but my curiosity got the better of me! Just don’t say ‘hey Jimmy’. :biggrin:

• Like 2

I was once pinned to the wall by a couple of thugs in a Parisian nightclub for refusing to pay the extortionate bill for a bottle of champagne that the two girls who had just joined us had ordered. We paid up and left, my French wasn’t good enough to argue in!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

,,..They do talk funny down in the fens though.

Most of the  older fen folk do have a strong accent but the younger people don’t - some of them speak quite posh!  Many commute to work in Cambridge and some to London (or they used to prepandemic)

I was in Glasgow one night in a place called the ''Music Bar'' with two off duty Coppers i had met earlier that day....as the night wore on one of em started saying things like,,,EY-UP YO ALLRATE,,,

Any way i retorted with ''SEE YOU JIMMY'' as Phil says..''Not a good Idea.'''.....i left soon after..........But i still love the Scots.....

• Like 1

Just watched the Sports news Manchester United go top    ....big deal ..no need for all the players to start

hugging and kissing each other ,,'Pandemic'' what 'Pandemic''?        

• Like 2

How can UKG't allow this bodily contact beach continuing? Is it because these overrated ball kickers and rugby players are so full of arrogance that a time has arrived for banging thick heads together. 

Get a grip waffling Boris and for once do something constructive!  

My vote for the cons have been lost.

• 4 weeks later...

See the students have been at it again with their partying. Never mind fining them penalties they will never pay, throw them out of university and give them an insite to what a mess the real world is in. They are supposed to be the future leaders of society. God help them, I am glad my day of reckoning will have come before they get in a position to make a real b....s up of everything. They are nothing more than spoilt little brats who need a good dose of discipline.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Saw on the news today a cctv footage of two idiots smashing a defibrilator at a football club. The image seemed clear enough for the authorities to be able to identify them so when they are picked up make an example of them. Before actual punishment they should be made to pay personally for twenty defibrilators as a by the way to redirect their tendancies. It is an absolute disgrace for this to happen and is totally unacceptable behaviour that should not be tolerated. I am not interested in any excuses for their action,they are not fit to be allowed to walk free.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...