Things that pee you off...

You wouldn't recognize todays trucks Catfan, the seats cost a couple of grand each!! everything is controlled with electronics, some have drive by wire now, ie brakes and accelerator are just sensors. Anti pollution equipment, no more black as coal exhaust.  The older anti pollution equipment was a liquid you put in a tank when filling up, I don't know how it works other than spraying into the exhaust, that's been replaced now by a canister that collects particulate matter and as it gets blocked, sprays a small amount of diesel into the canister to "regenerate" the canister, fancy word for burning the particulate matter off at high temperature, much the same as what's on my fairly new Kubota tractor.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

The canister is a catalytic converter and yes the do burn off to regenerate. There is a growing market over here for them, they contain Platinum, Rhodium etc. A thief can have one off your car and away in under two minutes, with Rhodium at £4000 an Oz it's no wonder thefts are increasing. One for a big truck is several thousand pounds to replace

Son’s Diesel LWB hybrid Range Rover started on the button first time, despite it standing outside his house since the end of July.  We’ve travelled about 100 miles in it today, goes well, extremely comfortable ride but we won’t be getting one for ourselves, it’s like sitting in a National Express coach but with cosier (massaging if it takes your fancy) seats.  

Catfan, they all have fuel traps, it's called a water separator, and it's one of the pre trip checks done by all truckers. Check this video out.

A little more searching, and I find ALL diesel engined pickups have a fuel/water separator that needs checking at least every month or sooner.

Lizzie, I hope they are more comfortable than Land rovers, I used to drive those underground at BPB, they were the most uncomfortable vehicles I've ever driven.

I like my Chevy Silverado full sized truck, it's comfortable even with the bed full of stuff, Like driving a luxury car! Recently changed out the seat adjust switch assembly and the drivers side window switch assembly.

It has adjustable pedals too, ideal for short or very tall people.

The only thing I don't like is the auto transmission, I prefer manuals, but over this side of the pond they are as rare as hens teeth. I know of many Americans who feel the same too, BUT, the big three decided to stop making manual transmissions, so not much we can do about it.

Brew, they are not catalytic converters, they have no expensive metals in the, they are supposed to be ceramic and have very minute holes along the length of them to catch particulate matter, not to burn off CO or unburned fuel. Takes about half an hour to regenerate, AND during the process it churns out CO, so has to be done outside. Totally different to the Catalytic converters in our petrol engined cars and trucks.

Don't get me wrong though, they too are very expensive to replace, but can be professionally cleaned.

It appears truckers over here are having a lot of problems with them, so the EPA has given them permission to have them bypassed until the problem is sorted.

Over here there's a kit to prevent the Catalytic converters being stolen, it's big business with thieves here to, more in cities than rural areas.

22 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Son’s Diesel LWB hybrid Range Rover started on the button first time, despite it standing outside his house since the end of July.  

Today we were out around Dorset in son’s car and thought it wise to put some fuel in it.  Well we resembled Mr and Mrs Magoo.  First problem was not being able to open the flap over the fuel cap.  Pressed lots of buttons, a chap filling up next to us came to assist and had no luck so I googled the Land Rover main dealer but couldn’t work out how to use the car’s satnav. I put the post code onto my phone and set off.  We ended up in the middle of town by the bus station, with no car dealership anywhere to be seen. Rang our son, who’s working in Tanzania, who told us to press a button under the steering wheel.  Back to same petrol station, my husband said the nozzle wouldn’t fit in the hole so I suggested it was a petrol car …… “No, he definitely said diesel” came the reply.  Rang son again and even he said at first it was diesel and then quickly changed his mind!  Well he HAS been away for nearly 3 months!  Finally, successfully re-fuelled the car but wish we’d never bothered collecting it, I’ll be glad to get my car back.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Too true Ian, but there are a few considerations to be taken into account with Little Mo ……. the journey to Dorset would probably entail an overnight stay somewhere in Oxfordshire, it’s not a comfortable ride and there are no seat belts so these days one feels a little vulnerable plus, although it’s easy to open the fuel cap it does take leaded fuel so we’d need to take a bottle of Redex on the trip too.  I’m happy to let her stay cosy in the garage! 

• Like 1

The engineering on  my car is among the best but the gadgets/electronicals were designed by someone drunk or has serious sadistic tendencies.

Good luck figuring yours out...

• 2 months later...

Men wearing a T Shirt instead of Dress shirt with a Suit........

Men not wearing socks with Sandals...in fact showing feet...

Men wearing Baseball Caps...especially back to front.........

Men wearing shorts when out and about.........

Politicians wearing white shirt with sleeves rolled up.......when visiting work places.........

I could go on........

• Like 1

I've always thought socks and sandals were a bit daft. I thought wearing sandals were cooler in the summer. Then to put a pair of socks on, defeated (no pun intended) the object.

Woody, you must be a young whippersnapper to know baseball caps as a kid. In my childhood the only caps were school caps for the boys, and 'ratting' caps for men.

Putting up Xmas lights. Especially having to untangle them no matter how carefully stored away last year. I did ours today to please Mrs PP, following a week of procrastination. I like to see lights on neighbours houses - wish they would come and fix mine!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...