Things that pee you off...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

As the test cricket season draws to a close and the tennis season ramps up for the Australian Open our FTA TV stations have saturation coverage of of no hopers playing in warm up competitions. Surely they realise that there are viewers out there that do not like tennis. The fracas about Novax Plonkervich does nothing to improve my view of this pathetic excuse for a sport. Two players, six ball-persons and goodness knows how many lines people, a chair umpire all backed by "Hawkeye" electronic line calls. Having a sit down and a drink every few minutes. What a joke. Even worse the Aussie Rules season has kicked off with the women's competition hijacking prime time on another network. Not a comment on women playing the sport but another winter sport encroaching on summer sports led by the great AFL God$. Football my ar$e, kick it with your hand and we will give you a point for missing.

7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Two players, six ball-persons and goodness knows how many lines people, a chair umpire all backed by "Hawkeye" electronic line calls. Having a sit down and a drink every few minutes

Would that be similar to the game where only two players are actually doing anything, one throws a ball at the other who then tries to hit it with a stick? Another thirteen are standing around scratching their crotch, doing nothing for the most part, and the majority of whom never even touch the ball?

The same game that can take a week to decide the outcome and where there is sometimes no winner     ;)

things that p..s me off is begging adverts on tv day and night !!!!!  especially when you are sitting down for something to eat,,,  Christ enough is enough!!!! we have had this for years now.,,,, also death policies being touted on t.v,,  jesus its all doom and gloom.

• Like 2

The people behind those adverts don't seem to understand human nature.  The more often viewers see an advert which annoys them, the more they will be against whatever is being advertised. It's counter-productive. 

I would have been indifferent about giving money for water aid in the Sudan (or whatever), but now I wouldn't even think of it...thanks to their adverts.

The amount of money that has been pumped into water aid should have made Africa one big lake by now if it had not been diverted by corrupt governments. A stop needs to be put on the drains this country is pouring money down.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The people behind those adverts don't seem to understand human nature.  The more often viewers see an advert which annoys them, the more they will be against whatever is being advertised. It's counter-productive. 

I would have been indifferent about giving money for water aid in the Sudan (or whatever), but now I wouldn't even think of it...thanks to their adverts.

The fact is, they do! Advertising companies are well  aware of the effectiveness and in some cases make them deliberately annoying, they know full well you'll remember! The adage” there's no such thing as bad publicity” doesn't only apply to entertainers etc.

Adverts that don't give a return on the investment don't stay for long before they come up with the something new.

Yes, I agree that you remember the name of the product - or service - which is being advertised, whether you like it or not. You can't control what gets stuck in your brain or memory.

But that doesn't mean you will like or have any sympathy towards it.  As a result of those adverts (whose names I remember) I would not consider donating to any of those organisations..

So now we can't buy a bag of midget gems because the pc brigade have struck again. Where the hell are we going with the English language? Left to their own devices the do gooders will destroy life as we have known it for years and most definitely the way we are allowed to speak. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

Are we also going to be banned from keeping dwarf rabbits as pets or growing dwarf varieties of plants?

Why don't we all just have our tongues cut out in case we transgress by uttering something someone objects to?

• Upvote 1

To the engineer

Is it an MGA or an MGB? My brother had a blue MGA, closely followed by a yellow Austin Healey 3000, can remember the heating packing up on the Healey and we had to defrost the inside of the windscreen with our hands when it was really frosty. Great cars both of them.

2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Do I have to re-badge my MG small sports car?

There was someone on Question Time who made what I thought was a valid point.   'Midget' is largely a historic term, and where applied historically it should stay.  This does not conflict with changing the name of the sweets to Mini Gems or whatever, as they are still produced and needlessly using an outdated term.  

I don't like the things anyway...  Far too hard and chewy.

Also....FWIW, I don't recall the same furore and death threats when Topic was changed to the completely ludicrous 'Snickers'.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

needlessly using an outdated term

When does a historic term become needlessly out dated? Why is the term, midget, referenced from an insect, differ from  fly-half rugby players, a flyweight or a bantamweight boxer?. Why is midget a more pejorative term than dwarf? Who decides? Who is the arbiter of good taste that gave them the authority.

Now I read the state coach of the Netherlands has been declared inappropriate due to some obscure association it has with their colonial days

I for one am heartily sick of hypocritical liberal no-alls telling me I should feel guilt for something that happened long ago.

I once said free speech was my right and would use it as I see fit, it was a lie. I, like everyone else, am guilty of being cowed into following the unspeakable, unwritten and entirely arbitrary rules.

There are times when I hear this claptrap I want to turn round and say 'Just fxk off will you.'

• Like 4

Talking of cars, MG Motor Australia owned by Chinese auto giant SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) Motor Corporation Limited  Owned by the Chinese Government is advertising its' cars during the 5th test with the tag line of "Value Since 1924" What ballcocks the first Chinese manufactured production cars were not manufactured until 1956.

Surely this is blatant false advertising?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...