mick2me

Image Attach Test

Phil, an interesting read is 'Sigh For A Merlin' by Alex Henshaw, chief test pilot at Castle Bromwich during WW2. Maybe you've read it. He pulls some similar stunts sitting behind a RR Merlin.

14 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve flown into Old Warden many times plus lots of visits by road. You always used to get a strict briefing from air traffic before departure about ‘no showing off’. I used to keep the aircraft on the runway for as long as possible and haul it off at the last minute before we went through the hedge! I live to tell the tale.

As I recollect the main runway at Old Warden, 04/22, was relatively short and was grass (not paved) which required a longer takeoff run. Although it was easy enough to fly into the takeoff required planning. I remember going in with a Cherokee, PA28 with a full load of 4 adults but only half tanks. To ensure we got out safely we taxied to the end of the runway, turned round and then we all got out to push the aircraft as far back as possible. The tail was almost in the hedge! We climbed back in, held it on the brakes at maximum revs and then shot forward giving it two stages of flaps as we got moving. We got out, no problem, but better to be safe. It's an easy trip back to Nottingham, just follow the A1 and turn left at Grantham. No map reading required!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

Phil, an interesting read is 'Sigh For A Merlin' by Alex Henshaw, chief test pilot at Castle Bromwich during WW2. Maybe you've read it. He pulls some similar stunts sitting behind a RR Merlin.

I have read it. I believe Castle Bromwich was, or became the Standard car factory. I went round there once when they used to build Massey Ferguson tractors.

I think the Castle Bromwich aircraft factory became the Fisher Ludlow car body manufacturing plant that shipped car bodies to many manufacturers that later became BMC, Standard was one such manufacturer. Fisher and Ludlow merged with the Pressed Steel Company to for Pressed Steel Fisher. The Plant in Castle Bromwich is now part of the Jaguar manufacturing plant. A site with a long and illustrious history having built around half of the Spitfires produced in WW2. Lancaster bombers too right up to todays Jaguars.

• Like 1

Smashing pic alan s enjoy other members pics.Robbie's were superb..especially his Everyday Scenes.

Postimage muck about a lot..and the other day a scanty appeared on my menu page!!

Pinterest have me on speedial...and keep sending me old Nottm stuff...some great Hyson Green ones in 60's zingy colour..watch this space Terry!

• Like 1

I sacked Post Image. Use something much better these days !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, catfan said:

I sacked Post Image. Use something much better these days !

Is it a secret?.

• Like 2

Ask me nicely & I might tell you !

Oh go on then, Google Photo's ! Does a lot more than PI with no upload limits except keep images below 16mb & you're good to go til the cows come home.

Works on loads of platforms, Windows, IOS, Android, Kindle, Linux. In fact I'm struggling to find what it doesn't work on.

If you can run Google then it will work !

Don't cost owt either !

• Like 2