Barry St.ives

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Barry did me a great favour, he sent my wife and I , and our two disabled children, Andy, and Nicola, to Disney World.They both loved every minute of it.Unfortunately Andy passed away a few years lat

Nice one,mick2me. If that was a quiet day then I dread to think what would have happened on a busy day...lol. Paulus, if it's true what you say about radfordred's dad being the Bingo caller then all

Welcome to Nottstalgia, ladyraevyn. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. Unfortunately, we are having problems at the moment and Admin are busy trying to sort it out. Once i

Posted Images

Your right it is available on Amazon for a penny + £2.75 postage!

'Reach For The Big Time' my Dad would like that he was a great admirer of Dicky Pleasant's act not sure he as ever read a book?

Don't look like it will be standing much longer ?

4130911674_7cc115a017_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

i first saw barry st ives at the horse and jockey at basford crossings, however i did see him loads of times at the variety, including the time he got blasted with shaving foam, and nearly chinned the bloke who did it then stormed out because he was going straight on to another club!

as for the varity itself i took these a couple of months ago-

9vbmh1.jpg

2mpkbiw.jpg

wrxrlu.jpg

16iwdbc.jpg

• 2 years later...

I can remember Barry St. Ives playing in the pubs and clubs in Nottingham. If I remember rightly he always wore a sparkly, glittery jacket. One of the places he appeared at was the 'Log Cabin' at Watnall. Can anyone remember that place?. Regarding the Variety Club, I only went there once and what an experience it was. I never normally go for a drink at lunchtimes but some members of my close and outer family decided to go to the Variety Club one Sunday lunchtime. One of them had been told by a work colleague that it was a great place with singers, comedians and Bingo like you've never heard before. This particular Sunday I showered and, being a club, decided to wear a dark pinstriped suit, white shirt and a tie. When we all met up outside the club I was the only one dressed up with the others all being in casual clothes. They all had a laugh and joke about my appearance before we went into the club. As we stood in the queue to get in I realised I'd made a big, big mistake. There were people with bones through their noses and tattoo's on their faces and others in leather Hells Angels gear...and the men were just as bad. We went in and got a pint and I told the others that I wanted to stand near the back, as far out of the way as possible. I'm a pretty hard guy but that Sunday lunchtime I felt very vulnerable stood there looking like a tailors dummy. How wise I was to stand at the back because a stripper came on stage and shouted that she was looking for someone to 'assist' her. Oh, no!!! she's bound to spot me and drag me by the neck onto the stage. This chap, who looked as if he'd been a boxer (and lost every one) asked me why I was crouching down behind his legs and I quickly told him I'd dropped my lighter, even though I didn't smoke. When I heard the scream I knew the stripper had got someone to 'assist' her. I stood up to see the poor chap trying to lift her tits up from her waist with the help of some cream. Next on was a comedian who made Bernard Manning and Roy 'Chubby' Brown seem like angels. Despite that he was hilarious and I thought at the time that in a place like that you had to be to get out alive. Next came the Bingo and it was so funny. The caller would call out a number and include every swear word he could think of and get into a slanging match with the audience. The banter would last for ages before the next number was called. Then it started all over again with the next number. I remember thinking in the taxi going home, 'That was an unbelievable experience, but one I'll laugh about for the rest of my life'. Also, if I ever go to one of them places again I'll definitely leave the suit on the hanger.

There was nothing else quite like the Variety club (ask Radford Red for details of the Bingo caller, it's his dad), Amber Vandella & her whip + boobs in a bucket, I remember losing my tie in there once..................the stripper borrowed it, to floss with!!

Nice one,mick2me. If that was a quiet day then I dread to think what would have happened on a busy day...lol. Paulus, if it's true what you say about radfordred's dad being the Bingo caller then all I can say is that he was wasted at the Variety Club. He could have been a successful comedian doing the club circuit. I'll bet it was a laugh a minute at radfordred's house.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

spent far to long this morning playing some old recordings from the variety club (i have hours & hours of it) here's a taster - I'm only putting it up for a few days see what the reaction is ? later of to work !

I remember seeing Bernard Manning in the 70s live at that large pub up the top of St Anns Well Road.

There was a mix of races in the pub. And though Manning's material would today be considered racist, all of the audience laughed at his jokes.

I remember the pub being in uproar, as a Jamaican guy walked across the front of the stage in front of Manning.

"Hello sunshine, did you manage to park your canoe OK" That laughter included the guy himself, who gave Manning some back, and raised further laughter..You would never see that today.

• 2 months later...

Manning was not as racist as people would believe.

Bernard Manning - Telegraph

"He had happy relations with his black neighbours, sent a sick Asian child he heard about locally on a no-publicity trip to Disneyland, gave money privately to anti-racist groups and was a major benefactor of Jewish charities in Manchester."

• 4 months later...

whoa,,,, that title made me jump !

Being a Barry living in St Ives,,,,,,,,

Rad',,, have you got a better/bigger picture ?

My old mate - Kluck - and I used to knock about with a couple of guys in the mid/late 60's in the town centre pubs.

One of them was called Barry,,,, and either he, or his mate had a chinesy look about him.

Every pub we went into, Barry would just stand at the bar, turn around to the drinkers, & launch into 'an act'. After a pint,,,, on to the next pub, & another 'act',,,, and so on. No act was ever the same, so this guy had quite a big repertoire. Can't recall him being 'blue' tho,,,,,,

My first visit to a Chinese restaurant was with these guys. It used to be at the bottom of Derby Road somewhere. The very best Chinese Pork I have ever had.

yeh barry yer prob got the right bloke,i was born an bred in broxtowe and such good times,now living in looe,cornwall