Ayup all you great people of Nottingham,

Can anyone tell me where the saying "It looks a bit black over Bill's Mother's" comes from? I now live in Lincolnshire and often come out with the phrase but these hay seeds out here ent a clue what I'm refering to

Cheers

Rog

They use it in the west Midlands as far as Birmingham and as far north as Barnsley.

No idea where it origonated or how.

Does anyone know where Bills mother lives?

Under where it's black... obviously!!! LOL

;)

I used it coming over the mountain today it was as black as. !faint!

It woulda been here last night - but it was too dark to see!

I know it is used in the Heanor/Eastwood area, but it was not as common in Long Eaton, and unknown in the Ashby/Coalville areas of Leicestershire.

It is becoming well used in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan - I think Mary has adopted it as her favorite "British" phrase!

Ain't the proper way of sayin it black owwer Bills movvers

!rotfl! imissyou

Ayup all,

Out here in Hayseed county (Lincolnshire) they say "It's dark over Grandads tates" though what grandad is doing with his tates out is beyond me, I wonder if Bills mother knows Grandad?

Rog

• 5 months later...

yep it's a bit black over Bill's mothers!

my nana used to say that all the time when i was growing up, and my parents still do!

even i say it and my boyfriend looks at me as if ive gon mad..LoL..

well he was born in lincolnshire! pah!

but i was born in nottingham, so i always thought the saying came from there. :)

I was told recently it was used across the "Black Country" as well as way into Lancashire and across South Yorkshire, so not as Nottingham as we thought.

• 4 months later...

I was born and bred in Nottingham and know the saying well, but my husband who was born in the Black Country has never heard it before. Here in Lincolnshire they don't know it either, I always understood it to be a Nottingham saying.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Another version of where this saying came from and as far as I am aware, it is fairly local saying, was this.

A man by the name of Bill Trickett had a scrap buisness on Trent Lane, Snienton. Hence there is a playground/park named after him, that stands on the site of his yard and his house.

Every so often, he would burn off, what I would imagine in those days was, rubber insulation from around copper wire etc.

This of course sent swales of thick black smoke in to the air. This caused this ritual to be adopted by the locals, to describe black rain clouds and has stuck ever since.

True, I do not know but sounds good

Quote added as original post moved to make new thread

• 2 months later...

Just got back from my mums in Nott'm, and the conversation over dinner turned to "Things our parents used to say" and I mentioned "It's a bit black over Bills mothers" , jokingly I asked her where it was and the reply was

"Tother side of Yuppington"

So that's it , it's all official now, Bill's mam lived 'tother side of Yuppington.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It woulda been here last night - but it was too dark to see!I know it is used in the Heanor/Eastwood area, but it was not as common in Long Eaton, and unknown in the Ashby/Coalville areas of Leicestershire.It is becoming well used in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan - I think Mary has adopted it as her favorite "British" phrase!

Yeah I have heard it from me mum, she was born in Eastwood :)

The only person I ever knew who used the phrase was my grandma who lived in Radford, but I haven't heard it now for over 30 years.

She'd look out of the kitchen window and say "It looks black over Bill's mothers", and from their house on Grimston Road she'd be looking in the direction of Churchfield Lane and the railway line which runs across the back. So I reckon Bill and his parents lived somewhere around the old Radford Colliery