mick2me

The Variety Club, Radford

That record takes me back to my old skiffle group days!. I made a tea chest bass and learnt to play the guitar from Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day" book - bit of a misnomer that! I sold my first guitar to a chap from school at Mellish - Allan Bell. He lived just over the border from Bulwell in Hucknall and his dad used to own "The Terminus Garage" where the trolley buses used to turn round. I bought my second instrument from Jack Brentnall's in Theatre Square. It was a Hofner Congress and took most of my savings at around £25. I've still got it! I electrified it and bought a cheap amplifier from a junk shop on Arkwright St., just under the railway bridge. I had to build a cabinet and get a speaker but it did a good job. One of our early gigs was at the Lowdham Grange borstal and I remember our rendition of Jailhouse Rock going down extremely well! Thanks - lots of memories recalled. smile2

• Like 2

Quite a few on here knew my Dad he passed away yesterday Gordon Cragg 1927-2018 ... Bugger I loved him x  

DuH5lKqWwAA7mja.jpg:large

• Like 2

Condolences RR..

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Nick
RIP Gordon

• Like 1

Sorry to read your sad news RR. I didn't know your Dad or visit the Variety Club, but from watching videos I realise he was a very popular man and I'm sure anyone who knew him will have some great memories from the Variety Club days. Our condolences to you and your family.

• Like 1

My condolences RR. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

• Like 1

It's always sad to hear of someone's passing and I send my sympathies to you and your family, RR.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about your dad's passing, RR.  A sad time for you and your family.....

• Like 1

My sincere condolences RR your happy memories will help through the bad times. Gem

• Like 1

Condolences to you and your family RR, a sad time for you all.

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear this sad news Nick. Gordon was a grand fellow. A one off and I'm privileged to have known him. My condolences to you and your family.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this sad news RR, condolences to you, your family and all who knew him.  

• Like 1

I too didn't know your Dad RR, but you have my sympathies and my thoughts.

Col

• Like 1

I'm feeling the love, nice one & welcome back Beef x 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this news Nick, he truly was a legend in his own lifetime, so many laughs, so many misspent Sundays in Radford's most popular church.

You take care of your Mum

Guess he finally caught the "Last train"...

• Like 2

Me Dad took me to my 1st match stood in the TrentEnd 1974 lost 3-1 to Nowich City, I was well & truly hooked , he'd like this, got him on the TrentEnd wall. 

D4m_NONWsAAUBoH?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2