• 7 years later...

I worked with a nurse Birch at Harlow Wood but thought she had left by 1969. Was she attractive with dark hair? First name might have been Glenda

I had back surgery done there but would be in the early 80's I think, was in there for 10 days total. Cannot remember any staff names though but one particular male nurse on our ward was a smashing bloke.

Stan, I don't THINK I knew her, but it was a long time ago! I worked there from 1960 until 1962 when I left to go to Leicester Royal Infirmary.

When I worked there Ward 1 was a boy's ward, ward 2 was for girls and ward 3 was for little children, ward 4 was the private ward, 5,6 and 7 were approached from under a tunnel and I seem to remember their being for older people. Wards 8 and 9 were for men.

denshaw, Glenda Birch was one of my best friends at the time but we're no longer in contact.

know its going back a bit but my mum was in Harlow Wood hospital in the 1930s, she had a TB knee and had 4 inch of the knee amputated, she was in there quite a while, during that time my dad lived in Carrington and played football for the local team, one of the players broke his leg playing and was taken to Harlow Wood, Dad visited him and while there a lady asked him if he would talk to a girl at the end of the ward as she hadn't had any visitors for months, the lady was the Duchess of Portland, the hospital patron, the girl was my mum. she could not read or write, dad taught her, moved her to Carrington and thats how they met. wheres me bloody hanky

• Upvote 3

oh thanks Katyjay, theres more, in its interesting, after mum went to live in carrington, where they lived is now a school, dad joined the navy, for the war, he was a DEMS gunner, thats Royal Navy sailors serving on Merchant ships as defence gunners, hence Defensively Equiped Merchant Ships, on March 5 1943 dads ship SS Ger-y-Bryn was torpedoed, with three other ships, by U130 off Lisbon, he was picked up 36hrs later by an armed trawler, transferred to HMS Choreopsis and put ashore in Londonderry, he was classed as MIA for six months with memory loss, mom and half of Carrington residence finally tracked him down using Salvation Army. If you happen to watch a movie called The Cruel Sea with Jack Hawkins the ship they use, a flower class sloop in the film is acturally HMS Choreopsis, thanks for being interested, god bless you

• Upvote 2

yeah Michael, all the stories told to me by mum and grandmother make me really proud of him, at times i look at the people who lived through the war and wonder could i have done that, no i couldn't, i suppose nearly all of you out there are proud of your mums and dads, rightly so, but me, proud doesn't come anywhere near, honoured, and totally in awe of them, and miss the them awfully. thanks so much for being interested, really like you all

• Upvote 2

I never gave out bottles of beer - I was mainly on the children's and older female wards, but I heard that that did happen . Maybe on the male wards- or is that just me being sexist!

oh thanks Katyjay, theres more, in its interesting, after mum went to live in carrington, where they lived is now a school, dad joined the navy, for the war, he was a DEMS gunner, thats Royal Navy sailors serving on Merchant ships as defence gunners, hence Defensively Equiped Merchant Ships, on March 5 1943 dads ship SS Ger-y-Bryn was torpedoed, with three other ships, by U130 off Lisbon, he was picked up 36hrs later by an armed trawler, transferred to HMS Choreopsis and put ashore in Londonderry, he was classed as MIA for six months with memory loss, mom and half of Carrington residence finally tracked him down using Salvation Army. If you happen to watch a movie called The Cruel Sea with Jack Hawkins the ship they use, a flower class sloop in the film is acturally HMS Choreopsis, thanks for being interested, god bless you

QUOTE'

Oblt Siegfreid Keller, the commander of the U-boat that sank your dad's ship, he and his entire crew were all lost a week afterwards when they were depth charged by an American destroyer in the Atlantic.

keller_siegfried.jpg

I've sent you a PM about all this.

thanks firbeck & michael, dad would visit every sunday for dinner after mum passed away, we went on the Uboat site and read up on all about the uboats and the convoy he was on, i bought a game called silent hunter 2 and we used to sit and blow the uboats up, he always said he would have liked to meet the uboat commander of U130, we never got to see his picture, wish dad could see this, he also served on HMS Opposum 1944 & Isle de France his last ship, he was also one of the sailors to go to San Francisco to bring back those terrible yank destroyers they lent us, told us about going to Joe Louis Bar and was invited with some mates to see Frank Sinatra at a theatre, coming back they had Bing Crosby on Board, really miss him yknow, still thanks

for being interested, nice to memorize

• Upvote 1