You see Mick, I knew you should have come for a cuppa when you were visiting Las Vegas! We have something in common, the British Home. I didn't want to answer your post in the Tesco thread, I know it's annoying when someone changed your subject completely!

We came over here for a holiday in 83 [never thinking we'd move here] so tried to see as many things as possible. One was the British Home, to see where my aunt Alice lived. We arrived there in the midst of a lot of hustle and bustle, as they were getting ready for a fundraising dinner that night, for the British Olympic Assoc. The Olympics were in LA the next year. I expained who we were and they said to wander around and take a look, which we did. It was in such a beautiful setting, and there were pictures of the Queen and English dignitaries on the walls. Aunt Alice died in 1964, aged 82, she's buried in Forest Lawns, another beautiful place.

How long has your aunt lived in there?

My aunt moved there about 6 years ago.

I love the place, and Dad had the opportunity to go there a few years ago, but would not move.

Now he's somwhere he does not really like.

Foskett%20South%20107-0716_IMG.JPGArmstrong%20Hall%20North%20107-0727_IMG.JPG107-0717_IMG-1.JPG

http://www.britishhome-ca.us

Forest Lawns 'Hollywood Hills' or 'Glendale'.

Both full of famous people and I spend time browsing the graves there.

Sad or what?

I too have always loved walking round cemeteries, and reading the headstones.

When I told a friend here that my aunt was in Forest Lawns, Glendale, she said 'Bob & I got married in there' which to us Brits sounds weird, but the cemetery is full of tiny churches where you can bury 'em and marry 'em, most likely christen 'em anall. She was married in The Wee Kirk o' the Heather. Aunt Alice is buried under a tree on a hill, she has a wonderful view!

The photos bring back memories, Mick, thanks. If I was clever and could post photos too, I could post one of Aunt Alice with a group, standing on her bungalow steps. But I'm thick, so I can't!

Just spent a good 1/2 hour trawling through that site Mick, I found it very interesting thumbsup

Hi Mick

Yeah I had a look too,are all the inpatients of British extraction ?

Re the BH, the Majority of residents are Ladies, most of them are English, but there is an Australian lady there. Remember we are nearing the end of an era, that of the WW2 war brides. They have to accept other nationalities as well under discrimination laws, but there just arent the Brits about to move in as far as I can see?

And its the only place to get a decent cup of tea in L.A.

Re interest in Graves, see also http:///www.findagrave.com

Re the BH, the Majority of residents are Ladies, most of them are English, but there is an Australian lady there. Remember we are nearing the end of an era, that of the WW2 war brides. They have to accept other nationalities as well under discrimination laws, but there just arent the Brits about to move in as far as I can see?

And its the only place to get a decent cup of tea in L.A.

Re interest in Graves, see also http:///www.findagrave.com

I just keep getting address not valied for this site Mick

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.findagrave.com/

YES it was the ///  Sorry

The signs are there if only you heed them.

Four bad things that constitute a Milk shake.

Cholesterol not a good fat. !sickly!

E numbers not a good letter. !sickly!

Sugar not a good Carbohydrate. !sickly!

Milk that’s never seen a cow, not good. !sickly!

Three good things that constitute a glass of HP.

Hops natures finest. cool2

Malt good Carbohydrate and for toddlers cool2

Alcohol good for you blood and surgical instruments. cool2

Bip. just call me your locum. imsorry

But the milk shake testes better!!!

I tried Harvest Pale a couple of weeks ago when I was in Nottingham.

I found it to be mediocre at best.

It's good to be back in Aus to get some good beer. !cheers!

Baz :ph34r:

Now I think you are fibbing Bazza you can say what you like about us Poms but the one thing we do lead the world in is damned fine ales compared to V.B. and Tooweys even a pint of Worthingtons tastes great

;) !tanning!

If you are trying to drag me out Bazza you have fallen at the first fence mate because I refuse to bite and listen to such nonsense.

To say HP has a mediocre taste is also utter rubbish, just let me know mate the next time your over here and I shall meet you at dawn to draw tankards over this matter.

Did one know that the older one gets the less taste buds there are on ones tongue, this might explain Bazza your lack of appreciation for Harvest Pale.

Me being considerable younger than you have all my taste buds intact for the present, which might explain that Harvest pale has just, won a Gold Medal at the London Beer festival. so there................ :tease:

Bip.

Here Here

Didn't ever hear of Castlemain XXXX doing that did you?

P.S. do you know why the Aussies call it xxxx

Its cos they can't spell beer

If that don't start a war.........................

Here Here

Didn't ever hear of Castlemain XXXX doing that did you?

P.S. do you know why the Aussies call it xxxx

Its cos they can't spell beer

If that don't start a war.........................

I'm not going to argue with you BF I can't stand the taste of beer full stop,English German or Australian ;)

I believe and don’t quote me on this but the judges who do the tasting are from all over the country who themselves are small independent brewers.

Bip.

I can't really get into this one as I've never tasted a HP in my life.

Or any micro beer...I used to love a bitter and lime though..and a Babysham and a Pony and a Snowball!

I see you've changed your picture BIP..and do you really look like that?

I've never seen you..but to those that have..is it a true resemblance?

:rolleyes:

I see you've changed your picture BIP..and do you really look like that?

I've never seen you..but to those that have..is it a true resemblance?

:rolleyes:

Take no notice Anne of what Caz says she’s jealous meduk.

If you would like me to be good looking as that chap is well so be it but the truth is I’m better looking than him no matter what Caz say’s. I reckon beauty is in the eye of the beholder and when I’ve started me fourth pint of HP all bar staff are beauties even the female one’s...

Bip.