The Chateau, Wilford Lane

For the first time in years, I drove down Wilford Lane tonite.

The Chateau is closed, there is a sign saying something about redevelopement?

I wonder if it is being knocked down? :o

I just did an INTERNET SEARCH...

Application number - 03/00428/OUT

Date received Thursday, June 12, 2003

Type of application Planning - Outline Application

Address of proposal The Chateau Wilford Lane West Bridgford Nottingham Notts

Proposal (Demolish existing buildings). Residential development

Decision Pending

Date of decision

Parish West Bridgford

Ward Compton Acres

Current status Pending

OS Map references Easting- 457025 Northing- 336987 Map- SK53NE

Applicants name

Scottish & Newcastle Pub Enterprises

Applicants address Shipstones Business Centre Northgate Nottingham NG7 7FN

The consultation date for this application has now passed, but it has not yet been decided It may therefore still be possible to consider any observations or comments you wish to send, but this cannot be guaranteed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, lovely memories of the Chateau.  First proper date with my husband, Halloween 1972. We’ve just celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary.  

I think that part of the success of the Savoy was that Clarendon College was over the road and they ran a catering course. The Savoy was able to pick the star students. It’s sad that the Berni’s

In the 60's and early 70's, there wasn't the vast choices available that are seen today. It was either Hirondelle red or white, Bulls Blood, Tiger Milk, Blue Nun, Mateus of course, then that appalling

AND!

22 June 2003

MORE HOUSING ON WILFORD LANE?

A planning application for fresh housing at the Chateau, Wilford Lane, has been submitted to Rushcliffe Borough Council, and can be viewed on their website. Covering 4.9 ha (about 12 acres)it is proposed to demolish the Chateau pub/restuarant and erect about 150 dwellings, with access from the Lane by converting the existing traffic light-controlled T junction with Compton Acres Road into a crossroads. The applicants claim the housing would increase road traffic by only 3%, that flood risk is less than 1%, and that as many of the existing 74 trees in 17 groups will be saved and supplemented. So far, no policy for housing on the site has been adopted by the Borough Council. If permission is given, extra traffic will be generated for the CW tram route, and the housbuilder can be obliged to make financial contributions to the Councils in respect of the tram and/or required highway alterations.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

The Chateau closed as a pub/restaurant some time around the late 1990s. I went in there a few times around then, and it was just fading away with nobody interested in it. Whoever owned it then obviously just wanted to get out of the place and make some money from selling it.

All the land around it has been redeveloped and built on in the last few years, with schools and houses completely surrounding the ex-Chateau. It had steel fencing around it and the grounds were totally overgrown with weeds/shrubs/bushes etc.

It would've been nice to see the Chateau restored to its former days, but I suppose Sainsburys is better than nothing......just

• 6 years later...

Never needed to reserve a table in the early 70's. Just turn up at 10.55 on a Friday night, and the service was brilliant, as the staff wanted to get away quickly. A couple of starters, steak etc, then maybe two or three desserts. A good tip for the waitresses, and off ! Superb ! 

• Like 1

It was a sad loss to the area, as were all the Berni Inns.

Seeing the bottle of Mateus reminded me of its sister, Vinho Verde. This was in a pale greenish colour bottle, the same shape as Mateus but had a loop handle at the base of the neck. The wine itself was a very pale green and tasted absolutely awful - a bit like I imagined battery acid would taste. But still, Vinho Verde had "class"!?!?! much more so than Mateus.

I went in an offie once (on Hucknall High St.) and asked if they sold Mateus. The response was "Of course we do, we've got Bryant & Mays and Swans."

Not quite like that, Ozt, but very similar. It was more the Mateus shape with the loop as per your example.

I think Mateus and Vinho Verde came from the same vineyard (or chemical works).

In the 60's and early 70's, there wasn't the vast choices available that are seen today. It was either Hirondelle red or white, Bulls Blood, Tiger Milk, Blue Nun, Mateus of course, then that appalling vinegary Chianti with straw wrapped around the bottle. Horrendous, but after a skin full of 'pop' who was bothered ? 

My dad found a Soave that was quite tasty, but today's varieties are endless. Something for everybody's taste and pocket.

• Like 2

As I've stated in another topic, a girl who had a flat in my mates house, worked downstairs in the Sawyers, and after our steaks we were regaled with endless Russian cream coffees....... Freebies of course !

After the novelty of the Chateau and Sawyers waned, my late mate Pete was 'chef' at the Beaujolais in the early 70's. Crap food badly cooked, but drunken revelry in abundance........ That didn't last too long I'm afraid. 

Oh dear, I can't get that picture of the steak out of my mind, so when madam returns from the hairdressers, it's off to Arnold for a fry up, as I've not had breakfast yet ! :hungr:

6 hours ago, jonab said:

I think Mateus and Vinho Verde came from the same vineyard (or chemical works).

Wasn't it down at Stoke bardolph?!

I believe that the Hutt was part of the Berni empire, but only in its later years.

25 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Wasn't it down at Stoke bardolph?!

Might well have been. I remember the Duke of Edinburgh opened the place and was then photographed drinking some of the effluent, it was supposedly so pure. I doubt if it was really effluent - more like some expensive foreign mineral water imported specially for him at great cost to the water company.

You're right, the Savoy was never a Berni..... They did good steaks though, Had many on a Friday or Saturday night there in its early days.:hungr:

I agree with LizzieM. I doubt that the Savoy was a Berni - why would they buy or build an eaterie directly opposite a well established and popular venue? I lived opposite the Savoy and watched it being built. There was great concern among the hierarchy of Berni Inns at the time about the competition but, in the end, it turned out they were servicing a completely different class of clientele - not many people went to the Grosvenor dressed up in dinner suits and ball gowns - which was the norm at the Savoy, certainly during the early years.

We did have Berni executives come up to our flat (291 Mansfield Rd.) a few times to spy on the building work

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1