The Chateau, Wilford Lane

I think that part of the success of the Savoy was that Clarendon College was over the road and they ran a catering course. The Savoy was able to pick the star students.

It’s sad that the Berni’s are no more. Nothing ever came along to replace their limited but excellent menus and at such reasonable prices. Many restaurants now have extensive menus but it’s obvious that they are basically ready made meals. Rather than have a menu they should give you the Brake Brothers catalogue to peruse!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, lovely memories of the Chateau.  First proper date with my husband, Halloween 1972. We’ve just celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary.  

I think that part of the success of the Savoy was that Clarendon College was over the road and they ran a catering course. The Savoy was able to pick the star students. It’s sad that the Berni’s

In the 60's and early 70's, there wasn't the vast choices available that are seen today. It was either Hirondelle red or white, Bulls Blood, Tiger Milk, Blue Nun, Mateus of course, then that appalling

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I think that part of the success of the Savoy was that Clarendon College was over the road and they ran a catering course. The Savoy was able to pick the star students.

When I lived near the Savoy we fairly often went to the restaurant at Clarendon where we had absolutely top class meals costing next to nothing cooked by the students as part of their courses. Full silver service as well.

The Death Knell for out of town dining was first sounded with the introduction of The Road Safety Act of 1967 which introduced the first maximum legal blood alcohol (drink driving) limit.

No bad thing in itself but it did mean places like The Chateau, The Hut and many others couldn't attract anyone "out for a good time".

The Act was a good thing for village pubs, though. It meant that they could regain their proper customer base - the locals - and not be continually spat* upon (figuratively and factually) by oiks and townies.

*That could well be "h" in there rather than a "p".

Living in Beeston in the late 60's, and Wollaton in the 70's, I consider myself neither a townie, or an oik. In fact during that time, we frequently patronised pubs at Burton Joyce, Lowdham,  Thurgaton and those along the Trent valley. They had many a good nights takings out of us ! 

I think many village pubs suffer more nowadays through the drink drive laws, and unless they do good food, I foresee much more shutting down.

• Like 2

If you're not an oik or a townie then my comments don't apply but I well remember when I was in the UK living in Kent and Sussex villages (after Nottingham) that our local pubs were plagued by the aforementioned, lots of them from London "out for a good time", even though the drink drive laws were in place. At the time the alcohol limits were much higher than they are now so these people amply able to demonstrate their position on the evolutionary scale yet remain within the drink driving limits.

The village pubs that are suffering nowadays are probably the ones which over expanded and overdeveloped in order to cater for an out-of-town trade and are now seeing the folly of their actions. This is only supposition. Having not been privy to the English pub scene for over thirty years, my views are only those of an observer from afar.

The trouble is that the villages around Notts are now full of affluent townies who've moved in because the village schools are better (allegedly). Traditional country people are thin on the ground now and most of the old characters are gone. Driving past our village pub last evening there were at least six four by fours parked outside. I shouldn't really complain though 'cause I was driving one - well it was my wife's actually.:) I've been a country boy for 56 years but I still feel I don't really belong.

The last time I went into an Irish country pub it was on a Sunday morning. I poked my head round the door and the  landlord said “we’re not open ‘till twelve”. When he saw my dissappointed look he said “come in and have a drink whilst you’re waiting! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Living in Beeston in the late 60's, and Wollaton in the 70's, I consider myself neither a townie, or an oik. In fact during that time, we frequently patronised pubs at Burton Joyce, Lowdham,  Thurgaton and those along the Trent valley. They had many a good nights takings out of us ! 

I think many village pubs suffer more nowadays through the drink drive laws, and unless they do good food, I foresee much more shutting down.

Reindeer at Hoveringham ................bet we rubbed shoulders

Well it was a cool place to go in the mid to late 60s  with a girl on the back of my scooter.

I recall the barrels being down some stairs..............but could be mistaken

• Like 1

The last landlord I remember in the Reindeer was a guy called Ashley who was married to an air hostess. He was rather overfond of sampling the stock! I’ve not been in for many years. The only pub I frequent these days is the Old Coach House at Southwell which used to be the White Lion.

5 minutes ago, siddha said:

Well it was a cool place to go in the mid to late 60s  with a girl on the back of my scooter.

I recall the barrels being down some stairs..............but could mistaken

I could equally be mistaken - it was a long time ago! I may be confusing it with the Shoulder of Mutton which used to be facing Nottingham Rd. as you drive into Southwell. Much as I enjoy a beer I refuse to pay today’s grossly inflated pub prices so hardly ever go for a drink.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 10:53 AM, LizzieM said:

I don’t think the Savoy Hotel, opposite Grosvenor, was ever a Berni Inn.  It was built and owned by the Pickering family, as was the Royal Hotel.  

Sorry to jump in on an old post... but yeah, I think it was Gordon Pickering that owned it.  My Dad was a Manager at the Savoy.  Years and years later (in the 90's), while working as a manager at a small steakhouse in a small town in the California desert, he heard a voice he thought he recognized but couldn't place.  He went out to the table, and it was a lady that worked for him at the Savoy in the early 70's.  Small world sometimes. 

• Upvote 1

You’re right and Gordon is still alive and well.  

The last time I ate in the Savoy was 31 years ago when it was my parents Ruby Wedding Anniversary, a few months later my Mum had passed away. 

16 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

You’re right and Gordon is still alive and well.  

The last time I ate in the Savoy was 31 years ago when it was my parents Ruby Wedding Anniversary, a few months later my Mum had passed away. 

I had read somewhere else through here about Cavco Construction or something, asking about the name.  I imagine it's named after Gordon's son, who I had always heard as of "Cav".  Not sure what it was short for, or if it was just Cav. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Savage said:

I had read somewhere else through here about Cavco Construction or something, asking about the name.  I imagine it's named after Gordon's son, who I had always heard as of "Cav".  Not sure what it was short for, or if it was just Cav. 

It was Cavan I think. Good Irish name.

Gordon and his BROTHER Cav were in business together. Cav was the ‘building brain’ and Gordon the accountant.   They did extremely well through hard work, Cav passed away a few years ago following surgery. Gordon has 2 daughters but no sons.  

On 12/7/2018 at 3:14 PM, LizzieM said:

Gordon and his BROTHER Cav were in business together. Cav was the ‘building brain’ and Gordon the accountant.   They did extremely well through hard work, Cav passed away a few years ago following surgery. Gordon has 2 daughters but no sons.  

Ah, Brother!  Ok... well, it's all stuff I heard when I was small, so surprised I remembered any of it to be honest.  :-)

• 5 months later...

I was near the ex-Chateau a few days ago. The site is still a jungle, surrounded by new developments. Sainsbury's lost interest and so far nobody else has bothered. 

All that remains is the entrance road.

cP4IjMn.jpg?1

Gosh what a shock.  Such memories . Question----   How many members use to go to the Chateau after 10 30 when pubs closed book in Chateau for a meal, (steak & Chips) but never went for your meal, but stayed as you could drink and dance till 2 00am

2 30.

4 hours ago, plantfit said:

Such a shame,lovely building and a lot of memories for plenty of folk

Rog

Yes, lovely memories of the Chateau.  First proper date with my husband, Halloween 1972. We’ve just celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary.  

• Like 5