The Chateau, Wilford Lane

A sad loss, and a wonderful place for a good steak after a night on the pop !

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, lovely memories of the Chateau.  First proper date with my husband, Halloween 1972. We’ve just celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary.  

I think that part of the success of the Savoy was that Clarendon College was over the road and they ran a catering course. The Savoy was able to pick the star students. It’s sad that the Berni’s

In the 60's and early 70's, there wasn't the vast choices available that are seen today. It was either Hirondelle red or white, Bulls Blood, Tiger Milk, Blue Nun, Mateus of course, then that appalling

So sorry to read of the demise of The Chateau. My father was very involved with the Civil Service sports club and ground which were opposite (anyone know if it is still going?) so, as a family, we would sometimes go across to The Chateau for a meal. As a result it was the place where my wedding reception was held.

• Upvote 1

Certainly better than the land just doing nothing.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, FLY2 said:

As I've stated in another topic, a girl who had a flat in my mates house, worked downstairs in the Sawyers, and after our steaks we were regaled with endless Russian cream coffees....... Freebies of course !

Fly, can you remember the girls name who worked downstairs in Sawyers. I had a part time job there so maybe I knew her.  My mum worked part time in the bar restaurant upstairs before she worked in Fanny's bar at the Chateau.

PS just seen this post .

Nonna, I think we've discussed this years ago. Her name was Linda. Can't remember her surname I'm afraid, maybe Wilson.  Small and fair haired. 

Yes Fly after I posted I remembered that You said it was Linda. I was in the steak bar downstairs along with Cindy ( Spanish) and Jean and another girl who was the girlfriend of Calvo one of the waiters. Can't remember her name but will probably remember after I post.

I was there from about'67 -69. Mrs Thut was the manageress, a very strict lady but lovely person. Cindy was quite a character, the unbelievable things she did at the end of the night to make the till tally, it made me very nervous so I would never do the till unless I was on my own.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

One thing I remember about the Chateau, when used to deliver birds eye foods we used to deliver catering packs of frozen apple  pie. The Chateau used to advertise "home made puddings and sweets". Then trade descriptions act came in and suddenly their signs disappeared and the menus read "cooked on the premises".

The beauty of the ""Cheteau"" was you could get a good steak with out breaking the bank. 

Saturday nights  there usd to be 8 of us go out all of cause married. The problem was that pubs used to close at 10-30 now our crowd were just getting going, so when Benie Steak pubs came along then with selling food you could open longer.  So after a bat round Nottm pubs it was down to the "Cheteau" (no drink drive laws then)  The Cheteau served food till 2-00 and stayed open till

2-30/3-00 but if you did not have a meal you had to leave by 11-30. So sometimes we had a meal and sometimes not. We found that by booking a meal  it did not matter if you turned up as there was always some one to take your place. So I will leave it to you to guess what we did.