Chick Zamick

The Evening Post brought it to my notice last night while reading it in the club that Chick Zamick has passed away at the ripe old age of 81.

He was christened Victory of which I was unaware of always knew him as Chick when he owned the dry cleaners on Alfreton Road in Radford.

Bip.

Chick Zamick link here.

I remember my Mum and Dad telling me of this great player

I have no doubt he will be much missed by his family, freinds and Panthers fans alike

Don't know who he is suspect, he's something to do with the Panthers.

Incidentally Den & Craig, our girl is taking on some involment with cheerleaders for the Panthers?

At his playing zenith in the 50's he lived in a council house on Broxtowe Hall Close by the Broxtowe Lane 'top shops' and travelled to the Ice Stadium from the nearby NCT bus terminus.

Shades of today's overpaid, pampered sports stars...

Undoubtedly remembered as one of the great ice hockey players of all time...legend indeed!

Cheers

Robt P.

Am I correct in thinking someone who is a member on Notts site is/was related to the above??or have I gone completely ga ga smile2

Craig Strongman's father Les was a playing compatriot of Chick Zamick.

Another great ice hockey player, who was also idolised in Nottingham and beyond.

Always associated together as a pair...a la Larwood & Voce.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 13 years later...

Whilst Chick Zamic was famous for his ice hockey exploits he also played basketball with our side out of Peoples College of Further Education.   Whist quite short for the sport he was energetic and skilful and great fun to play with.   I wonder who else remembers him in this context.

A little off topic but does anyone remember a Sports shop, Stinchcombe's which was related to ice-hockey on Alfreton Road in the 50's (on the left half way going down near Pownall's)? 

There used to be a sports shop on Alfreton Rd., a bit further up from Boden Street. I used to take me ice skates there to be sharpened. Didn't make me skate any better though! Maybe I didn't fall over as much. That would be circa 1960.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Chick Zamick

That would have been Mercury Sports owned and run by the one-eyed ice hockey player Archie Stinchcombe. Archie won gold with the British (largely dual-national Canadians) team at the 1936 winter olympics, the only time GB has won gold in ice hockey. He went on, I believe, to captain and coach the national team. We had our skates sharpened there as well, instead of the stadium. Archie knew how to sharpen them properly!

I remember the skate being hollow ground as ther were not figure skate, but hockey skates. Football boots wi blades on. I didn't have any guards on them, so was always cutting me fingers after they'd been sharpened. Could fly round the rink though !

I remember Archie Stinchcombe at MercurySports. I went there for my first cricket bat after I left school, not expecting the grilling that I got. He stood back from me and eyed me up then announced that he knew just the bat for me. Taking it as a sales pitch I said I wanted to look at several but guess what....... I ended up buying the one he had first presented me with and never regretted it. I can still hear his words of advice as I paid for it, " look after it, don't lend it to any bugger and it will serve you well". It did and so did all the other kit I bought from him.

Yes it was a wooden frame and no press supplied. I never bothered with a press anyway. The racquet was easier to stuff down the back of my jersey without a press (I cycled everywhere). The skates were too small for me and they hurt - but hey! they had street cred :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1