The all-new Market Square

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I was just interested to hear people's opinions about our new 'Slab Square'.

It's easy to see the practical advantages, the biggest one being that the former Processional Way curtailed many of it's possibilites as a venue. I was happy to hear that in a few weeks time an articial ice rink is to be constucted for a few winter weeks. They do this very well in places like Edinburgh and York to name two. That's a very personalised view though as I'm a skater and yet I do think it will provide some amount of carnage as it as such things tend to in this country!

On the minus side I find it drab and featureless looking - like a larger version of that sea of drabness outside the NIC known as 'Bolero Square'. (How come that never looked like the artist's fanciful impressions?)

Is the idea to promote outdoor cafe life in the centre of Nottingham? Perhaps a laudible attempt if so. I do however doubt if the right kinds of business are positioned around the square, Wetherspoons? The Bank? There is a danger that it could be a free-for-all come a Friday/Saturday evening too.

What do people think about the water features? I'm just not sure one way or another about those. They're pretty clever but every time I pass there some juvenile delinquents seem to be walking through them fully-dressed! I used to love the old fountains, missused as they were at times by jolly student japes with Fairy Liquid. I think the lack of public toilets in the area and in Nottingham generally upon their creation is an issue too.

I really wanted to like this new apparition of the Square. I used to love the old one, warts and all. It was always what I thought of when away from Nottingham, an identifying image that every person from Nottingham holds. The work seemed to last forever, to produce what to my mind is a quite disappointing final job.

Hopefully I've provided a reasonably balanced view but on the whole it's a thumbs down from me I'm afraid.

Thoughts?

Trentembankment026.jpg

As you eloquently put it Stu drab and featureless which springs to my mind too.

I too walk through there on the odd occasion and three times out of ten the water feature has broken or it’s been switch off for whatever reason by the council.

Maybe the idea was to bring the square back to it’s original state by having it flat like it was back in the late thirties early forties when my mum and dad use to meet under the statue of Queen Victoria at the bottom of Market street. The statue is now in the Memorial gardens on the Embankment,[see picture attached] my mum under same statue 60 years later. Sadly my mum passed away last August at the ripe old age of 86.

My bug bare is the seating, cold granite slabs which don’t do a lot for peoples piles also the amount of litter there seems to be in and around the fountain area also around the council house too.

But apart from those points I reckon it’s right for it’s purpose, fun fairs, foreign markets, meetings between local skate board gangs and the odd march past.

Bip. :Friends:

Superb flat and user friendly, regards “outdoor café life” the 2 pubs you mention both are not licensed for outdoor consumption, I am more than sure Nottingham Licensing would ever permit this idea.

Here's one fully clothed juvenile delinquent !!

424212803_ca8d969730.jpg

Superb flat and user friendly, regards “outdoor café life” the 2 pubs you mention both are not licensed for outdoor consumption, I am more than sure Nottingham Licensing would ever permit this idea.

424212803_ca8d969730.jpg

Is that an aqua Saddam Hussein? ;-)

I do see the point of making it more practical. I'm sure with events up and running in the square it will look much different. Without it looks like an empty canvas.

Apart from the aforementioned and absolutely agreed practical purpose of it, can I ask with respect what's 'superb' about it mate? I really don't see that. This was part of the original question I guess, does anyone find it attractive? I personally find it dull and underwhelming. Respect your opinion though.

Walked through there last night while killing time, was very surprised to see the fountains working and the litter problem solved, mind you there were several large green bins doing their best to make the square unsightly, maybe those bins were cleared out of sight later, I didn’t notice them when I walked back through anon that evening.

One thing I did notice though, the mess, which was left by an Italian style market that must have been on that day.

As I walked through earlier that evening they were clearing away and I thought to myself then that there was rather a mess, empty cardboard boxes everywhere.

Naively I thought at the time they would take their rubbish away with them back to Italy but no, it was still there as I walked back later and by this time it was soggy cardboard which looked like some inebriated person or persons had great fun with.

PS. there wasn’t any dog mess about.

Bip.

424212803_ca8d969730.jpg

Brill picture..Can i grab a copy??? thumbsup

424212803_ca8d969730.jpg

Brill picture..Can i grab a copy??? thumbsup

Sure promote FUN IN THE SQUARE

"Here's one fully clothed juvenile delinquent !!..."

Picture actually taken in Sheffield and features Blunkett's dog leading him in a chase of some woman...

Cheers

Robt P.

I know by now you are probably getting a little fed up with this but as I walked through the square last Saturday evening the litter was back, looked as if someone had emptied a bin.

I checked to see if one had but no bins had so I surmise from that that the general public had left it behind.

It’s hard to think that any responsible adult would litter their own city square but it dose happen I suppose, I reckon it’s more likely to be the younger generation those younger people who while much younger never was told by their parents to pick up what they had discarded.

Anyroadup it didn’t affect the Japanese party from taking a photo of themselves using the Council House as a background, lets hope though that whoever it was behind the camera managed not to get the litter in shot.

Bip :(

• 5 months later...

City Pulse Music Festival

City Pulse brings you a host of FREE performances from a selection of popular artisits in Nottingham's famous Old Market Square. We kick off in energetic style with music from new bands until 10pm on Saturday before experiencing the magic of Motown on a soulful Sunday. The weekend is then topped off with a great Bank Holiday Monday celebration.

The Festival is completely FREE so you can make a special day trip or just take a break from your shopping to enjoy the sounds.

Saturday 24th May 2008 Old Market Square Nottingham

Athlete

Ben's Brother

Censored

Elliot Minor

Envy and other Sins

Nephu Huzzband

Red

The 7.21'S

THE Displacements

The Favours

Sunday 25th May 2008 Old Market Square Nottingham

Blue Jaks

The Motown Show

Geno Washingham & the Ram Jam Band

Gabriella Cilmi

Monday 26th May 2008 Old Market Square Nottingham

The Blockheads

The Beat

The Bikini Beach Band

Think I'll give it a miss.

Geno Washington - OK - but the others???

Not my type of music I'm afraid - can't even say I've heard of most of 'em

Now, if you had Frank Sinartra, Dean and Kenny Rodgers and maybe Kenny G !jumping!

City Pulse brings you a host of FREE performances from a selection of popular artisits in Nottingham's famous Old Market Square.

FREE, Red?

I think not!

Be interesting to find out though just how much it cost and where the money has come from.

I too agree with Frank ,the bands are obscure and probably appeal to a tiny cross section of the public.

Could be an attempt to deflect attention away from the disaster of the recent elections by your noble labour council?

City Pulse brings you a host of FREE performances from a selection of popular artisits in Nottingham's famous Old Market Square.

FREE, Red?

I think not!

Be interesting to find out though just how much it cost and where the money has come from.

I too agree with Frank ,the bands are obscure and probably appeal to a tiny cross section of the public.

Could be an attempt to deflect attention away from the disaster of the recent elections by your noble labour council?

On the other hand it's probably just what is billed. Even the Beatles were obscure once. Did you never listen to music you haven't heard of before? And as if there was time to organise such an event in the last 5 days in response to the polls. I think not.

Seems to me there's far too many cynics around now. Get real!

The Blockheads were Ian Drurys backing group and are great live, and if it is the original line up of the Beat (Great British ska band from the late 70's early 80's (Mirror in the bathroom etc) I for one am looking forward to coming over.

P.S. The Beat split to form Fine Young Caniballs/ General Public in about 83 ( I used to love them and was quite miffed when they split up at the top of the game as it were)

There is still the cost involved in organising this event which would be CONSIDERABLE.

Maybe the event was organised to celebrate the intended enormous countrywide labour victories?

Or possibly to do as the Romans with `circuses and bread` to appease the mobs!

You'll probably find the bands will be doing it for free and the costs are recouperated from the franchising and merchandising. That was how the "Nott'm Festival usedto be funded (Or so I am led to believe)

The Blockheads were Ian Drurys backing group and are great live, and if it is the original line up of the Beat (Great British ska band from the late 70's early 80's (Mirror in the bathroom etc) I for one am looking forward to coming over.

P.S. The Beat split to form Fine Young Caniballs/ General Public in about 83 ( I used to love them and was quite miffed when they split up at the top of the game as it were)

Ah Geriatrics ,then!

Maybe we could sign up `The Zimmers`?

I would imagine (as Red said) that they are themed days (Never heard of any of the first days acts!!)

• 7 years later...