The Grantham Canal Walk

I wasn't exactly sure in which forum to stick this one but all the same I thought maybe any walkers out there might be interested.

It's a little site I put together in the hot, hot, summer of 2006 cronicling a walk along the Grantham Canal from Nottingham to Grantham. The walk was split into six stages, one stage per week, each of around 5-7 miles so it's very attainable. As you'd imagine it's flat walk too making it quite relaxing. What's more it's a really interesting thing to do and there's quite a lot of history to learn about along the way. The camera came along and there are plenty of images to give the reader an idea of the beautiful countryside encountered whilst walking through the three counties to the canal's destination. This is especially so in the Vale of Belvior but not exclusively.

I'd thoroughly recommend anyone to try this, or even just a segment or two on a weekend. There are a few great pubs along the way too...

THE GRANTHAM CANAL WALK

View from Harlaxton Bridge

DSCN0358.JPG

The Plough at Hickling

DSCN0259.JPG

Sounds like my type of walk especially with stop offs for refreshments.

I bet Diezel would come along too.

I enjoyed your recall of the journey Stu.

I tried to post in your Guessbook but couldn't.

I have seen you down at the Arena me thinks, the next time I see you there I will make myself know.

Bip. :Vampire:

Have done the walk a couple of times...also in stages!

Our second venture - westward this time - in late Spring '07, confirmed its growing popularity...measured by more litter and dog shite!

7th repeat of my perrenial probing question [unanswered] to the group:

Why don't we see white dogshite any more?

Cheers

Robt P.

I've got to say Rob, we saw very people along the way really. On a stage we would typically not encounter more than a very small handfull of people. That doesn't bode too well for the people that want to develop the canal back to something like it's former glory. I just can't see the like of the 33 mile liner country park that was proposed attracting funding. There's just not enough people that use it. It's great for walkers that enjoy a bit of peace and quiet though!

Good luck with your question!

Why don't we see white dogshite any more?

Cheers

Robt P.

I have a feeling it’s got something to do with the health of the dog Rob.

But saying that, whenever I give my dog Diezel a knuckle end bone, his poo becomes a whitish shade of yellow, which when dry turns white.

My have something to do with the calcium in the bone.

Bip :Vampire:

measured by more litter and dog shite!

Cheers

Robt P.

The dog shite issue is a problem I must admit.

Whenever there is any hiding in the long grass or not, I preferably find it, and spend the next ten minutes cursing the dog owner and scraping the mess from me trainer, after all it’s not the dogs fault.

I always carry small plastic bags with me for that very purpose, but I do admit on the odd occasion I ignore what my dog has left behind, only though when I have taken him somewhere where it’s quite obvious that previous dog owners haven’t bothered, mainly because there isn’t a dog mess bin in sight, who wants to carry a bag of dog crap about their person until one finds one, these bins are as rare as elephant droppings.

I would never ever leave a mess of his on the street, not like it use to be though is it?

I remember, as a child, that there was always a pile on a corner of a street; there wouldn’t be just one turd but several, as if every street corner was a dog’s toilet, bit different these days wouldn’t you say?

You find most of the dog mess bins around and in parks, that’s fine but what if your dog has a bowl movement while you are walking the streets well away from any park, that’s when it becomes a problem especially if you own a dog like mine who will have four or five craps while out and not all of them are hard.

Bip. ilikeyou

When our oldest son was in the infants school (early 70's) he caught a dose of ringworm that the Doctor said had probably been picked up via dog pooh.

Now, 33 years later, our grandson is also being treated for ringworm, although no mention this time of doggy do.

Not one of my favourite pets unfortunately, although my brother in Spain has 3 and I like them a lot - just wouldn't keep one mesen.

dpan607l.jpg

I'm afraid that the very thought of handling fresh dog poo effectively eliminates the possibility of canine ownership in the Marshall household! :blink:

Should have sold it to Bob Monkhouse instead ? Is he dead ?

yes he died a couple of years ago

(by the way it was amusing)

I'm afraid that the very thought of handling fresh dog poo effectively eliminates the possibility of canine ownership in the Marshall household! :blink:

;) I was the same Eric when my wife bought this dog. At the time I made it quite clear to her that I wouldn’t be picking any shite up, in fact I said at the time I wouldn’t be having anything to do with the dog.

It’s a long story but I didn’t want another animal but my wife wanted one and basically I gave in to her.

For the first eighteen months I never went anywhere near what came out the back, but how things worked out I had to take over the caring and what popped out his bum.

Since then I don’t have any problems clearing his mess up, the problem I do have is when curry sauce squirts out, that’s something that can’t be cleaned up no matter how many plastic bags one has about ones person.

Bip. :Friends: