So where do people fit in who lived between St Anns and Sneinton? I lived at the top of Donkey Hill, at the junction with Thorneywood Mount and the Rise. Always called it Thorneywood, as if you didn't say that, and said St Bartholomews Road, anything to be delivered and TAXIS or doctors etc, always went to the bottom and had to get up the hill.

My five penn'orth would be that Thorneywood begins in that area between St Ann's Well Road and Carlton Road - equidistant between St Ann's and Sneinton; then extends north-eastward until it becomes Porchester/Porchester Gardens etc...

Cheers

Robt P.

Just an observation here but my sister (a bit of a snob) Lives just off the top of Breckhill road ,does she live in Mapperley ?,oh no, she lives in Woodthorpe, much the same when she bought her first house, it was at the bottom of Greenwood road off of Sneinton Dale did she live in Sneinton? oh no she lived in Bakersfield!!!!!!!!!!

LOL...

I have a similar ex sister-in-law who patently lives in Bilborough, but insists it really is Bramcote Moor!

When challenged/teased [regular event] her blood pressure rapidly reaches critical... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

On a similar theme I recall a local estate agent describing Warren Wood as 'Redhill'. Nothing at all wrong with Warren Wood but that a fair old traipse across a couple of farms, a country park and a cemetary to reach Redhill!

There is actually a local estate agent who describes the roads off Porchester (morley road, norman road) and places like campbell grove (off robin hood street) as MAPPERLEY PARK !!!

can't be snobbery, must be sheer ignorance. http://www.websmileys.com/s.gif' />

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

dragged up in sneinton as kids,but parents ambition to move up to bakersfield with the nicer people,we just knew it as top of colwick woods where sledging was great,and they had a good park on top of greenwood,not as posh as parkdale park,they eventually got a sand pit,nearest thing to skeggy