• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took me a while and exercised my brain more than usual , but finally there's only one.    

We don’t have village bonfires any more. Our parish council would go spare if there was a burnt patch on their precious Glebe Field. Years ago, when our kids and their friends were much younger, I and

To coin that old chestnut again

"He's the only one who's ever entered parliament with honest intentions"

Fireworks not legal here except for small ones that dont shoot anything into the air, That said there are a lot of loud bangs from the stuff that comes in from mexico

Organized displays for the 4th of July

We are just too dry wouldnt take much to burn the whole place down .

• 1 year later...

We would build bonfires on waste land that had been bombed,but good job no one dared try and destroy it,we had a big hole in the middle our own little den,good job we were safe,never mind worrying about hedgehogs,we had kids in our bonfires,its amazing how we collected bonfire rubbish we had an old trolley,billy cart but we could carry settees old beds wardrobes infact anything we could cadge,including old tyres,great blaze,but loads of black smoke,cannot remember having many fireworks,just a couple of jumping jacks,that we jumped about with,elf n safety,no way

Bonfire night was a great time when I was a kid in Langar.

Almost all the kids in the village got together a couple of weeks before bonfire night to build the bonfire on Earl Howe Cresent green, we got the wood from local farmers and from what we could find or beg around the village,

A few days before bonfire night we would go around the village asking a penny for the guy, to collect money for fireworks which were brought from the village shop by one of the older boys.

Even the village shop keeper got into the sprit of the night, when the fire was lit and the fireworks were setoff,, he would offer free toffee to all the kids that built the bonfire.

A great time now long gone...

• 3 months later...

At the bottom of Denton Street (opposite Douglas School) there was a piece of waste ground (had been a church there earlier, later made into a garden of rest)) where we kids from Denton, Kyam and Ronald Streets built our bonfire. A few weeks beforehand we little bands of scruffs with home-made trolleys, broken down prams and battered tansads (push chairs) roamed the cold streets, with holes in our shoes and red rimmed legs from our wellies, asking for old stuff, furniture, rags,,,anything. it was all piled high with a look-out posted just in case any other 'streets' came along and fired it.

I well remember one year the fire brigade coming out....someone had been donated a lot of old rubber tyres....kids being kids, we piled 'em on! Come 5th Nov the bonfire was lit....talk about smoggy London Town....it was thick, choking and that smoke covered a huge area! lesson learned!

We also used to have about three individual fires on the pavement on the street as well....health and safety was probably in it's infancy! Mind you, the casualties from the 5th were quite high....including my older brother when a bunch of bangers went off in his hand!

Those were the days eh?

• Upvote 2

We used to collect our bonfire wood the same way and if we were lucky some times we would find a penny or two down the back of donated chairs, you would have thought we had found a fortune, off round the shop we would go for some dudoos. In the 50s, when we used to block Hardys Drive with our Bonfire, A Jumping Jack got stuck up my dads trouser leg He had a really bad burn.No one helped him because they thought he was joking.They were soon banned when Elf and Safety got started.

• 1 year later...

It's bonny night season again folks. At age roughly 14-16 we used to make banger guns. These were lengths of steel conduit plugged at one end with a piece of wood. The banger was lit and dropped down the barrel, followed by a marble or similar projectile. A quick aim at your friend and BANG! It's a wonder we never killed each other.

Standard bangers were the best, especially the 321 Zero! But you had to be quick kto get it all done with the three second fuse of that particular banger.

Here's a picture I found of the 321 Zero:

321%2520Zero.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bonfire night was a big thing for us kids in the 50s. It was all about the fire and who had the biggest.

You had to keep a watch or the big lads would come and raid your stack. Our mams made the food

mushy peas, baked potato's, toffee apples and our Dads had the job of lighting the fireworks. I remember

Carni,s Dad getting that jumping jack stuck up his trousers. We sang this song on the way home from school.

IT,s BONFIRE NIGHT

THE STARS ARE BRIGHT

I carnt remember any more line,s

• Upvote 2

Bonfire night was a big thing for us kids in the 50s. It was all about the fire and who had the biggest.

You had to keep a watch or the big lads would come and raid your stack. Our mams made the food

mushy peas, baked potato's, toffee apples and our Dads had the job of lighting the fireworks. I remember

Carni,s Dad getting that jumping jack stuck up his trousers. We sang this song on the way home from school.

IT,s BONFIRE NIGHT

THE STARS ARE BRIGHT

I carnt remember any more line,s

All the little angels dressed in white...........that's as far as I go lol.

I don't think this is right, but it's close!

It's Bonfire Night

It's Bonfire Night

All the little stars are shining bright

Three little Angels dressed in White

One with a fiddle

One with a drum

One with a Pancake

Stuck to her Bum :blush:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3