• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It took me a while and exercised my brain more than usual , but finally there's only one.    

We don’t have village bonfires any more. Our parish council would go spare if there was a burnt patch on their precious Glebe Field. Years ago, when our kids and their friends were much younger, I and

I don't mind fireworks at authorised displays.its just the thunderous loud bangs that are totally unnecessary.

The best I've ever seen was at the Last Night of Cowes Week whilst at Lepe Country Park several years ago.

Around here, why is it necessary to let them off at 11.30 at night?

Street bonfires, oh yes. We had one on Tiisington Rd Forest Fields in the early fiftie's. Cobbled street, used to melt the tar in between. Potatoes, slightly burnt, bonfire toffee, squibs, penny bangers, roman candles, lovely jubbly. And that reminds me, Jubblies were great too, lasted ages. Happy Days!

• Upvote 1

#26. The Amesbury Circus version of the chant, when out progging (collecting firewood for the bonfire).

Bonfire night, the stars are bright,

Three little angels dressed in white.

One with a bayonet one with a gun,

One with a bull-et up his bum.

I reckon this annual farce is dying out, at least in  Bulwell anyway it seems to be.

Only heard a few fireworks go off early this year, in fact in Tesco yesterday & saw no sign of firework sales.

Monty, bless him never bothered about firework noises & bright lights, he just turned over & carried on snoring !

• Upvote 1

We live halfway up a hill so If I hang out of my bedroom window ; I get a free view of the  W-ton firework display, usually held on the "West Park".

we are not too bothered about "B-Night" anymore, compared with my memories of the night from my childhood and the garden bonfire parties we held for our own children, done in the old fashioned way, there is no comparison.

Tonight we will turn the television sound up and hope it drowns the bangs and booms out that are going on around us.

Must be gerrin ode?:biggrin:

Just had a look on line and this year the event is held at W-ton Race Course; so I will get an even better view from my window. :biggrin:

Blummin eck, It's tomorrow night, the 6th. Is there no peace?

• Upvote 3

I remember an advert from the past that said "light up the sky with Standard Fireworks"

The other fireworks company that I remember is Brocks Fireworks. Are the any others from the 50's and 60's?

Toffee apples were usually light caramel or dark treacle toffee but on of the mums used to make the toffee red coloured, what did they use for that, some red food colouring or something more exotic?

Benwell is a name I remember from those times...... It should now be... Ban all ! 

• Upvote 1

Happy 5th ya'll.

I know as we get a bit older we tend to get a bit irritated with the noise and some of the silliness, but I know I enjoyed bonfire night when I was a kid.  I got to go out and fire off all the fireworks I got for my birthday.  There was little to no adult supervision but we all had a good time and everybody I knew survived it.

• Upvote 1

I still do B. Night it's just a family get together really with Fireworks I think it's a lovely

atmosphere for young children and old un's. my oldest Grandson is 19 so he'll be coming

with his Girlfriend but I also have  one who is 5 so I have a few more years to indulge.

We'll light the chiminea get the sausages sizzling for the hot dogs, a big pan of chilli,

cheese boats and HAVE FUN!!

No Alcohol though I don't think the two mix.:jumping:

• Upvote 3
  • 11 months later...

The enjoyable but unseasonal warm days of last week have given way to the misty, damp, cooler weather which has started me thinking about Bonfire Night.

Haloween didn't really feature when I was kid (I was born in 1950) but Bonfire Night was a brilliant event which I really looked forward to.

IIRC some of the newsagents around Forest Fields started selling fireworks in early October certainly before Goose Fair was over.

Remember when if the 5th of November fell on a Sunday (which it did in 1961) the celebrations were moved usually to the  Saturday? I can't remember when that went by the board and this year I see the Bonfire on the Forest will be on Sunday the 5th.

Back in the early 60s there was always a Bonfire on the Forest organised by The Scouts and there was also one in the middle of the cobbled road at the top of Russell Rd. Amazing really.

How fireworks have changed which is no bad thing. The jumping jacks of old always got the girls squealing but if one jumped into your open box of fireworks your night could be over very quickly. Can you still get those aeroplanes which used to spin up into the air? They often went out of control and of course it was always entertaining when a catherine wheel dropped off the fence.

As lads we were always messing around with bangers. We'd put them in milk bottles, drains and bicycle handlebars but never through letterboxes or in postboxes although it did happen.The trick we all sought to perfect was waiting until the fuse had been burning a second or two then throwing the banger up in the air so it would explode whilst in the air. I think I managed it with a 3d cannon once. Very dangerous but I've still got all my fingers.

The smell of fireworks and bonfires is just wonderful as is that of baked potatoes, mushy peas, hot dogs with onions and roast chestnuts. Goose Fair is a good rehearsal for the Bonfire Night food but I was disappointed that no chestnuts were on sale there this year. Bonfire toffee is hard to find theses days but it's easy to make and is really lovely when it's fresh and brittle. It has to go in the bin though when it softens and goes sticky.

Then as those smells fade and the embers of the Bonfire cool down thoughts turn to Christmas. Like lots of people from my generation I simply refuse to think about Christmas until after November the 5th.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

MMMM roast chestnuts, bonfire toffee and the smell of fireworks and bonfire smoke all through your clothes and hair

The health and safety Stasi would have gone loopy about what we did on bonfire night and the nights leading up to it in the 60's

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I can remember collecting cardboard boxes, crates, bits of wood, and any thing else that would burn for weeks before bonfire Night.

I used to save my pocket money for weeks to buy Standard Fireworks from the newsagents on Ilkeston Road (opposite the picture house). Can't remember his name though.

I lived in Radford on Faraday Road, around the corner from Miall Street. We used to build a big bonfire in the street just outside Camms Coaches garage  which just about everybody in the street came to.

Bonfire Toffee, Toffee Apples, and the smell of fireworks.  Heaven!

• Like 2
On 10/24/2017 at 8:42 PM, katyjay said:

Did you know Mick Ball who lived on Faraday Rd? I knew him from my days at the ice stadium, supporting the ice racing club.

Hi Katjay.

The name rings a faint bell but I can't say I remember him. I lived at 160 Faraday Rd. which was next door to a piece of wasteland that had the White Horse Pub on the other side.

As it's November just had to bring back this "Topic" 

Bonfire night and fireworks, 

Can remember little imps bangers 1d, Catharine  wheels 3d, rockets that made you jump when the went sky wards 6d 1/-, roman candles 3d to 6d, the jumping jack 3d that followed you every were, and many more. 

We used to have 1d for the guy but they said that it was begging (it would take at least a week to make the guy and borrow the pram to sit it in) now we have Hallowe'en which the children enjoy but is this not also begging?

Going back to why we had "Bonfire Night" maybe! just maybe Guy Fawkes had it right.

• Like 1

I remember the jumping jacks as a kid I was terrified of them,I thought they were following me if I tried to run away from them...and sparklers ,I somehow got one stuck to my head near my eyebrow,I still have the scar.

• Like 1