Northern Soul in Notts pubs

The music seems be going through one of it's many renaissances for the past while and as a long-time fan like myself that's great to see. Notably the availability in the odd pub, city centre and further out of town is particularly welcome as we're not all up for all-nighters these days for varying reasons!

I guess I just wondered where all the decent Northern playing pubs are that have nights devoted to it, particularly in the city centre. I see plenty of boards outside pubs advertising 'Soul/Motown nights' but have occasionally been disappointed. It appears to be a bit of a bandwagon that some are jumping on.

The Coach and Horses on Upper Parliament St. I've always found fairly reliable for good sounds but the last time I went in there recently (on a Sunday evening) there was some pretty dire pop stuff being spun. I'm sure that's still different on other nights though.

Any suggestions welcome.

Do any of you know an old mate of mine, Andre McRobie? He is/was a BIG Northern Soul fan!

We have a 'Northern' night coming up at my local snooker club some time in early December ,believe it or not ( Bit too far for you lot to come I assume ????????)

Stu, if you come up to The Regency in ilkeston, i would get you a pint as a token re the Virgin shop disagreement. However, you would have to have positive id as i could see about 265 members on here all pretending to be you to get a free pint off me! smile2

Stu, if you come up to The Regency in ilkeston, i would get you a pint as a token re the Virgin shop disagreement. However, you would have to have positive id as i could see about 265 members on here all pretending to be you to get a free pint off me! smile2

If I ever get out to Ilson Craig I'll be sure and bring my birth certificate! smile2

Thanks for the invite, it's appreciated.

Ta for the suggestions so far guys. Beefy where is your snooker club out of interest?

Any more ideas for the city centre at all anyone? Just casual playing of Northern tunes maybe? The Hole in the Wall used to do this a bit on a Saturday night I recall. A little while back I visited what used to be called the Old Vic on Fletcher Gate a time or two and had a good night. Sadly no longer

We used to do a 'bat round' of the city centre pubs on a Sunday night in the 90's and every where used to seem to be doing 'Motown and (Northern)Soul nights' including The Malt House, The Q.E, and upstairs in the Thurland , the D.J. here was Stu Morris.

Beefy where is your snooker club out of interest?

Pockets snooker club .Winsford ,Cheshire

We used to do a 'bat round' of the city centre pubs on a Sunday night in the 90's and every where used to seem to be doing 'Motown and (Northern)Soul nights' including The Malt House, The Q.E, and upstairs in the Thurland , the D.J. here was Stu Morris.

Funny thing here, i bumped in to my old chum Stu, about a month ago, at the Hardwicke Arms, on the edge of the Hardwick Hall estate, as i was taking my mum out for a birthday nosh,

We were regulars at The Dungeon, and other noted soul venues in the 60's in Nottingham.

Im actually doing a soul and motown "do" for someone this Saturday for his 60th birthday, pity its a private one, otherwise id invite you all!

Funny thing here, i bumped in to my old chum Stu, about a month ago, at the Hardwicke Arms, on the edge of the Hardwick Hall estate, as i was taking my mum out for a birthday nosh,

We were regulars at The Dungeon, and other noted soul venues in the 60's in Nottingham.

Im actually doing a soul and motown "do" for someone this Saturday for his 60th birthday, pity its a private one, otherwise id invite you all!

Wow, you were at the Dungeon, Craig? I remember my sister saying she was a regular there. She saw Amen Corner there amongst others. Must have been some place mate?

The Hardwick Arms is a lovely place I think, even though it can get very busy with visitors to the hall.

Yep, i went regularly, i wasnt actually old enough, so i had a fake membership card, truth is it was actually someone elses that i doctored! Later on though, a friend from around the corner was on the door, so it wasnt that important.

I was also there when Amen Corner were, in fact, as i was going down the stairs, they were coming up!

I saw, and in fact met a number of acts there, includidng Edwin Starr, Lee Dorsey, The Action, and the lesser known Root and Jenny Jackson, who always went down well. Once though, the owner booked a band called This End, i still have the flyer, where it statesn "This End, not so much a band, more a happening" they were not what the Dungeon audiance wanted, and were boo'ed a lot!

• 2 years later...

The Coach and Horses on Upper Parliament St

Coach & Horses was closed last night strange that always a busy pub ?

There's also the Federation Soul Club Federation House Claremont Road Sherwood 1st Saturday of the month.

The Royal Regency Ilson- Last Friday of every month

Festival inn trowell

Stage 1 Long Eaton - last saturday of the month

The Shed in Beeston

Red!

Where have you been?

The Royal Regency closed back in November 2008, and, as All my posts around that time pointed out, has transferred to The Westgate Suites, Westgate Long Eaton, where, as at Ilson, is always a packed house! As before it's the final Friday of the month.

Stu, Saturday is the night for "our" music at The Waggon & Horses, not Sunday!

Red!

Where have you been?

The Royal Regency closed back in November 2008

Well i did post it in 2007 a year before it closed !! I could be the new Michel de Nostredame ! Get your self down Specsavers son 2 for 1 you don't want to be playing them 45s @ 33rmp !!

The Royal Regency Ilson- Last Friday of every month

• 2 months later...

I had to smile, in the attachment the landlord discovers he has a fire, and calls the police!!!!!

Gordon Bennet, didn't someone ought to let him know that it might have been better to have called the fire brigade? :blink:

• 4 years later...