Notts pub spotting quiz

Only got 10

I found this site by accident a little while ago (It's a Carlton le Willows school based site) and although they are a bit before my time I still recognised some of the people photographed .

Did you go there Stu ?????

Only got 10

I found this site by accident a little while ago (It's a Carlton le Willows school based site) and although they are a bit before my time I still recognised some of the people photographed .

Did you go there Stu ?????

'I've posted the url up in the 1980's thread, btw, mate)

No I didn't go to Carlton Le Willows. I was at Redhill Comprehensive. The thing that drew me to the site was the things they did as teenagers like going out and exploring country pubs. I used to go to (and still do) many of the villages they describe like Lambley, Hoveringham etc. Me and my mates would meet up in the Whit hart in Arnold and tour around those places discovering the pubs. We had a stamping ground in common with the people on that site.

I too used to head out that way but never got further than Lowdham and Gunthorpe (I may have gone to Hoveringham a couple of times ,even Southwell once) We used to head out over Gunthorpe bridge to the Vale of Belvoir ,Granby,Redmile etc

I too used to head out that way but never got further than Lowdham and Gunthorpe (I may have gone to Hoveringham a couple of times ,even Southwell once) We used to head out over Gunthorpe bridge to the Vale of Belvoir ,Granby,Redmile etc

Whereabouts were you from mate?

I guess a lot of these things depend on where's convenient and all those village have a been a bit of a 'playground' for me since being a kid. I still spend more time, drinking, eating, walking and running oaround those places than anywhere else. Saturday night is often a Woodborough and Lambley drinking night for me.

I'me a Carlton boy

We didn't start to venture out regularly until the late 80's (When we first got 'proper' wheels)

Saturday night is often a Woodborough and Lambley drinking night for me.

Go in the Woodlark Stu?

I look after Mick's cellar cooler and other bit's and bobs.

Me and Mrs Frank enjoy eating in the basement Steak restaurant.

Bad news is that he charges £2.30 for the HP :(

Saturday night is often a Woodborough and Lambley drinking night for me.

Go in the Woodlark Stu?

I look after Mick's cellar cooler and other bit's and bobs.

Me and Mrs Frank enjoy eating in the basement Steak restaurant.

Bad news is that he charges £2.30 for the HP :(

Certainly do Frank - it's my favourite pub!

Well I guess I must have seen you in there at some point. Not been quite so regular recently but in the past it's been most Saturday evenings me and the missus at least end up in the bar there. Funnily enough I've never eaten in the cellar there, in fact I've only ever taken a peek down there the once. I know every brick of the bar intimately though!

I hear the Robin Hood has now re-opened. Might have to give that a shot on the way thereone night.

• 6 months later...

I was working in Lambley today so when i finished i called in at the Woodlark. It was quite busy at 5.45 which was surprising, maybe it was the free food on the bar. 1 pint of HP and a pint of lager shandy was £5.03, not cheap but it is a nice pub.

Den.

I've been working out Gunthorpe way for the past couple of weeks Den and I've found myself inadvertantly turning right over the bridge as I've driven into Lambley.

Tuesday last I was in there at about 7.30 fer a couple on the way home.

Jill has just got back from holiday (landlady) and i must say, her little nibbles on the bar are a great anti-pasti, washed down with copious amounts of HP at £2.55 pint. !cheers!

I wonder would she get her hot nibbles out for me?

£2-55p a Pint!!!!!!!!?

Bip.

• 5 months later...

Well I am an ex- Carlton Le Willows boy but shamefully have to admit I didnt recognze many of those boozers with the exception of the Town Centre ones - Bell, Sal and Trip. I checked out the home site and the people on there were about two - three years below me. We did however risk being suspended in the Upper Sixth by sneaking out at dinnertime for a furtive half pint at nearby pubs. It was only half a pint because that was all we could afford. Three pubs were hit and chosen carefully as "easy to get served" as we were all wearing our bright green Grammar school blazers and full school uniform. We took off our school ties, threw our blazers over our shoulders and walked in pretending to be to be at least 18. Of course we were under age and had we been caught I have no doubt we would have been severely dealt with by our strict Headmaster. Cannot recall any pub names - two in Carlton and the one at Stoke Bardolph by the Trent. I will have to look up some of those pubs when I make one of my rare return visits to Nottingham. One of my absolute favourites is the Trip yet strangely we never ever went there in the 1970's on our numerous Friday or Sat evening pub crawls.

ah yes - the Ferry Boat.

We used to take my canvas canoe down there on the back of my push-bike. I made a long long trailor & hitched it the bike.

One day we turned it over,,,,, we must have been 20 or 30 feet from the Ferry Boat bank,,,,, but for some reason, we both swam to the opposite bank - about 100 feet away,,,,, & stood there shivering ! There was snow all around & the river was swollen,,,,,, a chap in a motor boat went after the canoe, then back for us. The landlady at the FerryBoat gave us both a hot drink (cocoa I think) before sending us on our way. After nearly losing my life ---- got a clout from mi mam when I got in ! (cooooo an I wuz ony 35 at the time,,,,,,,,,,,,)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we were a bit older - and had wheels,,,, we'd take youing ladies there for a drink,,,,,,, then after closing time would lounge about on the riverbank for a while (!?!?) It's amazing how much grass can get into your underclothes whilst just lounging about !!