I thought I'd pass this one on as it was a tale told to me by a local neighbour in Redhill many years ago who is sadly no longer with us. It concerns George Brough, the owner of the Brough motorcycle company of Bulwell Notts, manufacturers of the legendary 'Brough Superior' bike. George at one time also held the world speed record for a single motorcyle of around 130mph.

Just around the corner and in sight of where I live there is a small cul-de-sac called Pendine Close which leads directly off the main Mansfield Road. The close contains a small handful of larger homes which were built, on memory, in the 1960s'. It's the original very large home, 'Pendine House' still situated at the top of what was originally it's own land that is of interest as it's where George Brough lived.

Apparently George had some extremely well known friends due to his fame in the motorcycle industry of the day. My old neighbour related to me that none other than George Bernard Shaw was a friend and regular visitor to The Pendines. He also told tale that George was a friend of the then boss of 20th Century Fox and had several Hollywood movie stars as visitors to his home in Redhill. One quoted to me was Orson Welles who was apparently a good friend. Another famous name was T. E. Lawrence, 'Lawrence of Arabia', who would visit and take his Brough Superior for a high-speed spin around the local country lanes. It is recorded that Lawrence died on a Superior. Fascinating to think that all those famous names were visitors to the area.

Lawrence_Brough_Cranwell.jpg

Lawrence on a Brough Superior, 1925.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu: My dad would often talk about George Brough. Dad was a "painter and decorator" and had actually done some work for Brough - not sure if it was at the Redhill house, but it is likely since we lived in the area - and I believe he met George several times.

Thanks for the post - it brought back happy memories of Redhill and my dad!

It's the original very large home, 'Pendine House' still situated at the top of what was originally it's own land that is of interest as it's where George Brough lived.

Perhaps named after Pendine Sands, in South-West Wales - the location of many world speed records.

Possibly Brough clocked his 130mph there?

Although a harder surface might have been better for a motor bike...

Well known fact that TE Lawrence died on a Brough Superior, although in the film O'Toole was astride an AJS!

Cheers

Robt P.

Stu: My dad would often talk abouth George Brough. Dad was a "painter and decorator" and had actually done some work for Brough - not sure if it was at the Redhill house, but it is likely since we lived in the area - and I believe he met George several times.

Thanks for the post - it brought back happy memories of Redhill and my dad!

Must be a good chance, Eric. Pendine Close would only be a hop-skip for your dad. Coming south on Mansfield Road it's the turn off after Monsell Drive on the opposite side on the right, just before The Mount. Glad it brings back those memories for you - us Redhill-ers have to stick together!

According to Wikipedia (no written proof available!) he attained the record in 1928 in Arpajon, France. The smae scource offers the folowing about Lawrences' demise:

"A few weeks after leaving the service, aged 46, he was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident in Dorset, close to his cottage, Clouds Hill, near Wareham (now run by the National Trust and open to the public). The accident occurred because of a dip in the road that obstructed his view of two boys on their bicycles; he swerved to avoid them, lost control and was thrown over the handlebars of his motorcycle. He died six days later."

I have certainly read previously that The Pendines is named after Pendine Sands.

There is an image on the Internet somewhere of the Brough works in Bulwell.

Well known fact that TE Lawrence died on a Brough Superior, although in the film O'Toole was astride an AJS!

Cheers

Robt P.

Thats where the element of doubt entered my head. But I wouldn't say it was a well known fact. Maybe by sharp shits like you and I!!!!!

Situated almost opposite the 'Three Crowns' and that erstwhile Vauxhall garage, whose name eludes.

Alan Snape will know...

Cheers

Robt P.

Situated almost opposite the 'Three Crowns' and that erstwhile Vauxhall garage, whose name eludes.

Alan Snape will know...

Cheers

Robt P.

Crowns - Vauxhall Dealers. Now moved to Mapperley Top and renamed

http://www.new-crown-sharpes.co.uk/

• 2 months later...

Having spotted that it has been suggested that I will know concerning the Bulwell site of George Brough's please note my memories.

In the 40's & 50's I remember Broughs having a showroom on Bulwell Main Street in premises now housing Remar furniture on the corner of Minerva Street facing Slacks Grocers and Lambs cycle shop (corner or Jennison Street.

These 2 shops were demolished when Culley's the Bulwell Stone Quarry family built Crown Motors and opened their Vauxhall dealership on this site. Later, as Crown Motors, this company was purchased by Sharps and relocated to their new showroom in Arnold behind the Home Brewery building.

Broughs production operation was located next to Northern Baths on t he corner of Roderick StreetH

• 2 months later...
Having spotted that it has been suggested that I will know concerning the Bulwell site of George Brough's please note my memories.

In the 40's & 50's I remember Broughs having a showroom on Bulwell Main Street in premises now housing Remar furniture on the corner of Minerva Street facing Slacks Grocers and Lambs cycle shop (corner or Jennison Street.

These 2 shops were demolished when Culley's the Bulwell Stone Quarry family built Crown Motors and opened their Vauxhall dealership on this site. Later, as Crown Motors, this company was purchased by Sharps and relocated to their new showroom in Arnold behind the Home Brewery building.

Broughs production operation was located next to Northern Baths on t he corner of Roderick StreetH

Unfortunately, that building was demolised about 3 weeks ago.

Passed it today and 3 blokes with a red van were loading some of the nice new breeze blocks into the van - possibly before the builder could get a chance to use them.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome Zab

Where on Haydn Road was that?

Not this building by any chance?...

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?sh...84&hl=Haydn

Thanks for the welcome.

No not that one, If I recall correctly it was almost opposite Quorn Road where Stag Furniture used to be. The work shops weren't large, from the front they were about the size of two semi's but obviously went further back; always had visions of Lawrance of Arabia scooting up and down Haydn Road.

Stretching my memory a bit here, going back to the time Haydn Road still had a railway station.

The car plot, I think, was further along towards Nottingham Road - directly opposite they're used to be a packaging depot. As a kid I remember the corner shop on the junction of Warren Avenue and then there were a couple of houses and next to those there were two workshops/units - they were still there in the 70's when I left Haydn Road.

I'll check some books when I get home and see if I can find a more precise location.

Opposite Quorn road there was a packaging factory i think it was called Newtons, it is now housing. If you go towards Nottingham Rd you will pass Stratstone SAAB dealers, this is the site of the old Brough works. if you continue you will pass a very good sandwich shop and a newsagent, after that there is now wasteland which used to be Haydn scrap metals.

Den.

Cheers Den?

Railway Station?

I thought the nearest was over at sherwood? (mentioned elswhere here?

What was was the big hosiery place on Haydn Road, I used to go to their social club?

Thanks for the info Den.

I'm intrigued now, as you looked at Newtons from Quorn Road there were was a workshop (or maybe 2) directly to the left - I'd always associated these with the Brough Works - there are some brand new houses on the site now; can you by any chance remember what they were?

What was was the big hosiery place on Haydn Road, I used to go to their social club?

Courtaulds Mick - it's still there but just as offices and a factory shop now.

Pass it every morning on the way into work.

Courtaulds Mick - it's still there but just as offices and a factory shop now.

Pass it every morning on the way into work.

I worked there 1973-78. It was Meridian Knitwear Ltd then but, as part of Courtaulds, it was rebranded "Courtaulds Knitwear Limited" along with the Bairnswear and Wolsey brands. Stag furniture was just up the road. I can't remember Brough but that means nothing as I was never a motorcyclist.

I remember going to the Quorn on friday lunch for a cheese and onion cob and a couple of pints of Home Bitter. Fantastic!