The story continues:

Enthusiasts restoring Brough Superior classic car

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8730000/8730804.stm

Interesting to read in the article of T E Lawrence and George Bernard Shaw being fans of the Brough motorcycles. Kind of corroborates what the elderly neighbour told me of their visits to Redhill and George Brough's home.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu and any other "Redhillers", About 13 years ago I worked for 2 brothers who had a self service laundrette business, they had bought such from a guy named Pat who lived on top of Redhill (up the old road, bridge level) and wondered if he lived in Pendine House? Certainly Pat had the money for such, as at one time had building business and about 13 shops, Sadly he died just after retiring but I recall going to this big house there to collect some spares left in a summer house, at time despite having had "half a Brough" had no idea of the Redhill connection at the time.

Stu and any other "Redhillers", About 13 years ago I worked for 2 brothers who had a self service laundrette business, they had bought such from a guy named Pat who lived on top of Redhill (up the old road, bridge level) and wondered if he lived in Pendine House? Certainly Pat had the money for such, as at one time had building business and about 13 shops, Sadly he died just after retiring but I recall going to this big house there to collect some spares left in a summer house, at time despite having had "half a Brough" had no idea of the Redhill connection at the time.

Hi Ashley, There are a single line of large homes on the original Arch Hill that runs up to the bridge which might be what you are referring to. There is also another very large home over the bridge. The latter is accessed from Arch Hill by passing over Mansfield Road on Arch Bridge. That home has a small bungalow where the caretaker used to live I believe. Also on that same little stretch over the bridge is the water reservoir for the local area. Pendine House is located on what became Pendine Close when the owner sold of part of it's land. It is situated about three quarters of a mile further south on the west side of Mansfield Road, towards the cemetery. Thanks for the info mate.

Def not "Pat's place" as that was on east sde of Mansfield Rd, not sure if still there but "old" bridge sides at least, maybe more of it? were dumped in the old council yard part of which is now showman's winter quarters on Western Boulevard in Basford maybe 20 years ago now redhill1.jpg

Did not realise till looking for above pic that an earlier one still existed that was replaced in 1890 redhill2.jpg

I've an idea there might be four incarnations of Arch Bridge but I could be totally wrong about that. I wouldn't mind looking at those bits of the old bridge out of curiosity.

There are quite a few pics recorded of the original stone bridge. One has a Victorian couple strolling up the centre of Mansfield Road with a parasol! Can't imagine that happening now!

I have always understood that the cutting was made because of the intolerable stress put on the 'osses pulling coaches up 'Red Hill'. Another big reason was that it provided much-needed work for the folk of Arnold in a time of austerity.

• 1 month later...

I've an idea there might be four incarnations of Arch Bridge but I could be totally wrong about that. I wouldn't mind looking at those bits of the old bridge out of curiosity.

There are quite a few pics recorded of the original stone bridge. One has a Victorian couple strolling up the centre of Mansfield Road with a parasol! Can't imagine that happening now!

I have always understood that the cutting was made because of the intolerable stress put on the 'osses pulling coaches up 'Red Hill'. Another big reason was that it provided much-needed work for the folk of Arnold in a time of austerity.

History of Arnold by Revs King and Russel 1913

arch.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I would love it - but it is a bit out of my price range (£1000 MAX!), then there is getting it here, spare parts, etc. I think I'll pass on this one!

• 8 years later...

A little snippet of a story my Dad told me a number of times, was about my Grandma (his Grandmother) ; Ada Bentley (later Wing, then Penninston) from Basford who worked In Service as George Brough’s senior domestic housekeeper. 

Long after she retired from serving the Brough family - and so cherished she must have been - each Christmas up until the year she died (1969) an enormous hamper was sent to her for celebrating the festive season.

Grandma was in her late 80s when she passed away at Stapleford Notts in sheltered accommodation.

If any other stories have been published or exist about the Brough household I would be interested to learn more, adding info to my family connection.

Thanks.

Regards

John