Wonder if by any small chance there is anyone else on this site that attended this long-gone school? Eric, anyone? I attended there for one year which was to be the last in the school's century-plus history. This was around 1966.

The school was situated in the area where the Arnold market place now stands, the bulk of the market area being our playground with high brick walls around it. It remained standing for a little time before demolishing it to make way for the market.

The school was always known as 'The British' locally and I believe it had been a boarding school at one time of day. The headmaster in my time there was chap named Mr. Wood who then moved on to Church Drive Junior School nearbly along with many of the pupils including me. Other members of staff included Miss Burgess who reitred when the school shut and Mr. Corkwell who took games lessons and I think English. He lived nearby adjacent King George's Playing Fields and moved to Church Drive for some years also.

Our morning assemblies and PE lessons were held in the hall which still stands nearby on Worral Avenue next to Arnold Post Office. A playground between the two building was used for sports lessons. Inside the British was crumbling away. I recall holes in the high ceilings and pigeons roosting up there.

One curious story I was told was in the early seventies by a very elderly local gent. He claimed that a football team used the schools facilities for changing many years previously. I'm guessing this was youth or schoolboy football. The team were called 'Arnold Nig-Nogs' and played in the 'Nig-Nog' league. A far cry from the politically correct terminology we have today!

An account of the school here:

British School

Sorry - we left Redhill in 1958, so I only spent two years in school in the area and those were at what I think was called Calverton Road Infant's School.

• 7 years later...

I was at the British School from the 1955/6 year to 1958/9. What an awful place. It became better after Mr. Wood arrived. A vicious sadist called J T (JET) Taylor was the temporary headmaster after the former one died. This Taylor held ritual public punishment assemblies in the old church hall next door, not the new Drum.

One of his favourite pastimes was to stand on the spiral stairs and slash at boys bare legs with a cane as they walked past. He was moved on after a year and Mr. Wood arrived in either '56 or '57.

The school dinners were so bad, that I vomited into my plate on several occasions. This resulted in me walking down the road to my grandmother's each day.

Miss Burgess was, I think, there when I arrived. The school wasn't in bad shape in those days. The rooms were bright and polished.

Notable teachers were Mr. Wing, who's father was Billy Wing the Velocette dealer and ex rider, on Mansfield Rd. and lived on ChurchDrive. Mr. Wing taught the final year and was the sports teacher. He would load a football team into his two seater sports car. He left just before I moved into the fourth year. His place was taken by Mr. Fricker, another wonderful teacher and afterwards a friend. He spent hours at the Arnold Baths coaching any youngster who wanted to learn to swim properly. Until work and other things took over I spent the first hour of every Saturday morning swimming under his tuition.

I was sorry to see the old school go, perhaps it should have been used for some social purpose, bit it was in a bad way by then.

I woud't want to repeat my time there, but I suppose I did learn a lot about life and maybe even some useful knowledge.

• Upvote 6

Welcome to Nottstalgia OneRat.

I knew boys who were at the British School but they'd be a couple of years younger than you ...... I myself was at Kingswell from 1958 -61. Must say the school always looked very bleak behind that high wall, particularly compared to Kingswell which was a nice new school in the 50's.

I also spent a lot of time at Arnold Baths and was there every Saturday morning for coaching and diving for bricks and pennies. I don't remember many kids from those days but recall Edwina Cook and her older brother. I think I only remember her because she always beat me in races! Always went along to the bakery on Front Street for a hot cob afterwards. Happy days .......

• Upvote 3

OneRat, do you remember the little old guy who blew his whistle when your hour in the pool was up? He had a very built up shoe and had his son with him a lot of the time. This boy had Downs Syndrome and used to chase buses as they passed the Baths, poor kid! It was that old man's whistle that caused me to break a tooth on the bottom of the pool one day, causing me to have a lifetime of crowns at great expense!! Lucky I didn't break my neck though I suppose.

• Upvote 7

Oh, yes. The two guys at Arnold Baths. "One to fifteen out now!" Could one of the have been Lenny or Leonard or something? Little skinny one with the built up shoe and the other plumpish one. Council workers in dungarees, they couldn't have saved anyone who was in trouble. I remember they were quite gruff, but when they knew you they could be ok. They had a long pole with a wire hoop on the end to hook anyone who was in trouble

There was the "stout" gentleman, who always wore a suit and took his jacket off. He was something to do with the Amateur Swimming Association. He always had a pocket full of pennies to throw in the pool for kids to dive for.

My cousins went to Kingswell School. They all lived on that side of town. We lived off Cross Street, so I had to go to High Street Infants, Mrs Burnham was the first year teacher I remember, then British. Redhill after that. Then Digby Avenue College.

High Street was overcrowded, so our class were sent to the chapel on Church Drive for our second year. That would be coronation year 1953. We had tins of chocolate that could be used as pencil cases and a commemorative New Testament. The tin is long gone, but the Bible is at my daughter's in the family history box. My mother took me to London to see all the decorations after the ceremony. That would probably have been the Saturday.

I remember at Hight Street in the first year, we still used slates and a piece of chalk for writing practice.

When my mother and I went for the interview with the head mistress before I started, Mrs. Dobson, or something similar I think. She gave me a clock to play with where all the numbers were removable. I'm sure it was a trick to see if I knew where they went.

The school had a maypole with a crown on top with Fruit Gums as jewels. Boy, the things you remember when you get going……. But I still don't know where I put my glasses.

• Upvote 4

One Rat, I've still got the New Testament that we were given in 1953 and I remember the long thin tin of chocolates, but don't know where that has gone.

Also the mention of Arnold Baths reminds me that we, at Arno Vale School used to be taken there for swimming lessons. This was around 1950. We used to trail down there two by two - can't remember if it was every week. I just remember we had duck our heads under the water and I didn't like having to do that. I remember my pink rubber swimming cap and the elasticated ruched (is that the right word?) swimming costume.

The chaps who worked at the Baths would watch as you came in from the changing room and if you tried to avoid the foot-bath by jumping over it they sent you back to walk through it properly! Didn't stop me getting verrucas though!

• Upvote 3

We walked around from British, though I don't remember that being very often.

On Saturdays in the early sixties, if you were in at nine, there wouldn't be enough swimmers to make up the fifteen, so we didn't get turfed until number fifteen had been there for an hour. Sometimes it would be ten or eleven o'clock. Not a bad deal. What was it, a shilling, one and six maybe? The memory can't handle that.

At British, after Mr Wood arrived, there were often events where some kids who were into making things showed their creations off.

For one, they rigged a wire from the far end of the church hall across to the windows in the third year classroom. The whole school went out into the exercise yard (it was like prison) to watch a rocket powered Flash Gordon type thing blast across a couple of hundred feet.

There was another where a Mecano tower was set up and a balsa and tissue rubber powered aeroplane flew around it on a line….

We were impressed.

• Upvote 1

You don't realise what a funny word veruca is till you try to explain it to an American. Here it's a Plantar's Wart.

After thirty eight years, there are still some Canadian and American terms that I can't get on with. Plantar's Wart is one of them.

Have I missed something then? Are you in America now OneRat?

I live in Western Canada, but I'm in England for a while, probably until early summer, June perhaps. I guess I didn't say where I was.

I hadn't been here for quite a while and when I arrived I was quite taken aback at the changes I encountered. I don't think I would talk about that though, a whole can of worms I don't want to open.

• 10 months later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia OneRat.

I knew boys who were at the British School but they'd be a couple of years younger than you ...... I myself was at Kingswell from 1958 -61. Must say the school always looked very bleak behind that high wall, particularly compared to Kingswell which was a nice new school in the 50's.

I also spent a lot of time at Arnold Baths and was there every Saturday morning for coaching and diving for bricks and pennies. I don't remember many kids from those days but recall Edwina Cook and her older brother. I think I only remember her because she always beat me in races! Always went along to the bakery on Front Street for a hot cob afterwards. Happy days .......

Hi LizzieM,new to the site.Was reading your interesting stories about British school and Arnold Baths.I think the two attendents were Charlie and Len. 5d for an hours swim and a "penny cob" from Chambers after.Charlie, I seem to recall used to be a street sweeper for Arnold Council in the "old" days (still remember the horse and cart walking in front of him ) I also went to Kingswell school around the same time as you,then on to Henry Mellish Grammar.I played football for the school team along with Phil Mellors,Ian Lowe, Andrew Toach,Rob Wright,Keith Smith and others who I can`t recall.Iam suprised there is not a site for Kingswell school ! I can remember lots of names if you are interested.Will check back from time to time.Bye for now me duck, from Blackie ( Colin ) in Canada.

You don't realise what a funny word veruca is till you try to explain it to an American. Here it's a Plantar's Wart.

Hi Katyjay,still remember going to the clinic in Arnold Park with Christine Manners with verucas on both feet.They painted some purple stuff on them,then put a bandage around your feet.Had to keep it on for a week or so.When they took it off the verucas came out leaving little holes in your feet.

• Upvote 2