The 'New' Ariba

I paid a visit to Nott'm for the weekend and managed a fleeting visit to town on Saturday night . I found two Wetherspoons and a very similar orientated pub called the bank , I found them to be very accommodating and very reasonably priced. We had two meals and drinks for £14 not bad at all

Then came the 'piece de resistance' . A visit to the Arriba on St James Street. Alan wasn't there (Golfing in Spain as usual) but I got a couple of pictures of Margarate, George and Christine

Firstrunwithnewcanon137.jpg

George

Firstrunwithnewcanon141.jpg

Margarate

Firstrunwithnewcanon140.jpg

Christine

Firstrunwithnewcanon136.jpg

The down stairs bar

Now to be the bearer of bad news, Cath died 3 years ago and Alf is in a home suffering from Alczeimers.

But perhaps the worst news of all is 'Nottstalgia' member and old friend and colleague of mine and Micks ,Nicky Palmer died of a heart attack about 2 1/2 years ago. Although he was posting on here in Jan of last year!!!(Margarate insisted it was closer to 6 years but I got her down to 2 1/2 as a compromise but it looks more like 1 1/2

Frank has been packed in for a number of years ,but his son, Karl, has just won a big title at boxing (You were right there Mick )

BIP and Frank had other plans so SWMBO and I just went into Wetherspoons for some dinner and on for a couple of scoops before dropping in at the Arriba

(You could at least have said ayup me duck!!!! and let me know who you were)

Did it from my mothers

I spent a couple of hours Friday night 'fixing' the damned thing for her ,only to be accused of removing google earth .(All I had done was to remove her out of date Norton Ghost and down load AVG and remove some other out of date stuff.) I found out why it was running slowly (It was going slower on her broad band than my old dial up !!!!!!!!) fixed that and then got accused of losing her on line connectivity!! .I fixed that (It was a problem with her wireless connection) only to be accused of loosing her Microsoft Word, Ifound that for her and set up a shortcut.I then gave up and went for a drive before I strangled her

Now I know why I left home!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would dearly hope I am wrong but both Margarate and George were adamant that he had died

• 1 year later...

Send me some please Mick , I get over every now and then and always mention this site to old mates i bump into , tell them the address but never see them on here , but if i were to give them a card !!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I stumbled on this website a while ago while trying to find out something about the Arriba club in Nottingham and was really interested to read it so I joined up. I'm Nick Palmer's step daughter and was really touched to find people mentioning him in various posts. I've just come across this forum while looking something up this evening and although it's quite an old one, there seems to be a bit of confusion surrounding Nick so I thought I would just send a post to clear things up in case anyone is still wondering. Sadly Nick died of cancer in May 2006. He was living in Chapel st Leonards with my mum, still DJing part- time and is hugely missed by all of us still. If anyone is ever in Chapel st Leonards, pop into Admiral Benbow beach bar on the sea front and there is a gold disc and plaque dedicated to him on the wall.

It's really nice for me (and mum) to read of people still mentioning him so thanks to everyone who has.

Kate Palmer

Dear Kate.

A number of us knew Nick from the Ariba.

Ian Beefsteak worked with him as a DJ there.

I personally have a recording of Nick DJing at the Ariba in the early 80's.

Paul McKenzie later of Radio Derby is also a member here,

And Nick himself was a member.

We would very much like a picture posted of the Plaque.

Thank you for posting the update.

Ayup there Kate, I too have only very fond memories of Nicky. I had spoken to Paul McKenzie re his sad demise , and he confirmed the date of his passing .

I get to the East Coast rarely these days but I did go through Chapel last year , so I may try and find it in the early part of next year

Happy new year to you and see if you can regale us with some stories of his exploits later in life!!

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 26 November 2007 at 10:36 PM, Craig Strongman said:

I recall a Nick Palmer during my days with NJD, and the clubs they supplied with DJ's, was he ever at Oscar Wildes at Holme Pierrepont, latterly Blotts?

I worked with Nick,was a good pal all those years ago,just seen on here he had a heart attack and died some years back,,,,Everett.

On 28 December 2010 at 9:07 PM, NDKPalmer said:

Hi,

I stumbled on this website a while ago while trying to find out something about the Arriba club in Nottingham and was really interested to read it so I joined up. I'm Nick Palmer's step daughter and was really touched to find people mentioning him in various posts. I've just come across this forum while looking something up this evening and although it's quite an old one, there seems to be a bit of confusion surrounding Nick so I thought I would just send a post to clear things up in case anyone is still wondering. Sadly Nick died of cancer in May 2006. He was living in Chapel st Leonards with my mum, still DJing part- time and is hugely missed by all of us still. If anyone is ever in Chapel st Leonards, pop into Admiral Benbow beach bar on the sea front and there is a gold disc and plaque dedicated to him on the wall.

It's really nice for me (and mum) to read of people still mentioning him so thanks to everyone who has.

Kate Palmer

Nick was a close friend of mine,all those years ago we worked together,car sales, Also knew his mate dick the dj from glazdale drive,happy days,,,,gosh 2006. Sad ,,,regards Everett kirk.(we had some fab times)