• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

I walked through there last night to see it surrounded by the customary high fencing. They're erecting a large boardwalk in the square. I'm sure there's a good reason for that but I wonder why as the square is supposed to be 'flattened out' now.

Excellent, I'll get my skates out.

Been on the one in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh a couple of times. It's a lot of fun but real carnage out there! I wouldn't like to be a novice. The York version looks great too. Hat's off for the council sorting this one.

are they having one or have they spent all there money on the revamp...which is crap by the way !

You can see the tree on this Live webcam in Nottingham's Old Market Square from 8am until 6pm

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/www/marketsquare/webcam.asp

Great link Nick .Weird to think I was standing there on Saturday

(P.S. I just watched it for 2 mins updating it myself every few seconds and none of the workmen moved other people did so I could tell it was live!!!!!!!!!)

Wasn’t there a ice rink in the square several years ago albeit a plastic one.

Me thinks you won't be too enthusiastic when you find out the price to skate on it.

Bip.

and how is it going to affect the business of the established ice rink,which I am sure pays thousands in rates?

I wouldn't imagine it would affect their business much (if any) Stan, as it is more aimed at the passing tourists who wouldn't go to the ice stadium(such as me and my family)

Wasn’t there a ice rink in the square several years ago albeit a plastic one.

Me thinks you won't be too enthusiastic when you find out the price to skate on it.

Bip.

Why, how much is it going to cost, BIP? How much will that compare to other forms of entertainment in Nottingham? Sincere question?

It's not a big deal to me mate. I go to Canada regularly and skate on frozen ponds and lakes whenever I'm there in the winter. I don't see a third size artificial rink in Market Square living up to that but welcome the notion that local folks can have a little fun skating in a unique place if they wish to.

Regarding the effect on business at the NIC raised by Stan. Negligible is the word I'd humbly use, The greatest part of ice time at most ice rinks is not used in public skating sessions but by hockey, dance and figure skating clubs, as well as classes for teaching public skating etc. The other point is that an outdoor rink in the city stands to raise interest in the sport and promote people to use the NIC for the other 35 weeks of the year that there will be no temporary facility in the Market Square. There will be some that initiate an interest they never had in the pastime previously.

I don't actually rate the new Market Square as I've stated previously. I think it's bland, boring and unattractive. That doesn't blind me to the good side of it. It's more practical in some ways - particularly for events such as just this. I think the initiative needs applauding. Credit where it's due.

I hope they don't expect me to be on standby over Christmas in case it breaks down, 'cos I won't be here. Off to warmer climes fer some R & R. !tanning!

Was told by a good source that it would cost more than the Arena don’t know how much more but more, Stu.

Business must be good Frank if you and Mrs Franks can have more than one holiday a year, me I don’t have time to think about leisure it’s one long holiday out here in Sawley.

Bip.

Was told by a good source that it would cost more than the Arena don’t know how much more but more, Stu.

Red's link [4th post] is the price list...

£7, per 45 minutes, for adults...seems quite reasonable.

Cheers

Robt P.

and how is it going to affect the business of the established ice rink,which I am sure pays thousands in rates?

Its actually being run by the Ice Centre personnel.

In fact, there may be an occasion when you see me there, but, as with most things, it all depends on the budget!

Red's link [4th post] is the price list...

£7, per 45 minutes, for adults...seems quite reasonable.

Cheers

Robt P.

I think it's reasonable too. It's £9 in Edinburgh.

A few words about outdoor skating then, for anyone interested.

Nottingham on Ice!

ICE RINK SLIP-UP!

Be the first reader to comment on this story

09:00 - 16 November 2007

The £350,000 ice rink being built in Old Market Square does not have planning permission.

The National Ice Centre, which is behind the scheme, did not realise it was needed for the temporary structure.

Now the city council, which owns the ice centre, will be asked to give permission on Wednesday - the day the rink opens.

Liberal Democrat councillor Alex Foster, a member of the development control committee, said: "It's a blunder. Everyone has a responsibility to check if they need planning permission well in advance of starting work."

A planning application was belatedly submitted and advertised in October. No objections have been received and council officers are recommending that councillors approve the rink.

Martin Ingham, deputy chief executive of the ice centre, said: "We were of the understanding we did not need planning permission. It is not a case that we bashed our way through [the system].

"We have tried to make sure we abide by the regulations."

If planning permission is refused Mr Ingham said the rink will operate for a limited time, since the law allows temporary structures to be in place for up to 28 days without approval.

However, the lack of objections make it unlikely that councillors will say no.

The rink would open from November 21 to the end of the year, except Christmas Day.

Some sessions are already full. For 45 minutes' skating, tickets cost (including skate hire) £7 for adults, £6 for children, £3 for under-fives or £20 for a family.

i.e 50000 patrons at 7 pounds to break even.

and what about running costs and insurance etc?

-a mere 10000 pounds daily!

What we expect from the negative Evening Post .

Nice to see it was named the overall winner of the Lord Mayor's Awards for Urban Design praised for its architectural brilliance.

The Post seemed hapy enough to be tied into it (promotionally) to be giving away 2 for 1 vouchers for the outdoor rink a few weeks back too.....................

Looking at those running costs, i can now see why maybe they dont wish to have to be paying for my services too!

If the staff, which are running this make shift ice rink are anything like the staff that use to run the old rink, heaven help us.

The predicted cost of rink and the running costs per day don’t seem right to me, did someone add an extra nought.

Bip.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked through market square sat night, the council house was decked out with it’s once a year adornment of crimbo lights. NOT IMPRESSED!

The council house frontage reminded me of my mobile phone when I’m using it, pretty vivid blue lights!

When has crimbo trees been blue?

I maybe bit of a traditionalist but aren’t crimbo tree’s green?

Or is it just me and these new suppositories that the health visitor has put me on.

Ice rink looks good but then again it should do it cost the council a fortune to hire, seen them coming if you ask me.

Needless to say it was shut, closed when I walked back through there later, there was I wanting to have a skate, or was that the six pints of Harvest Pale I was trying not to spill making me feel that way?

Bip. :victory:

I'm a little bit disappointed with the spectating arrangement at the outdoor rink. I'm assuming that the constructions at the side of the ice are for skaters only? With the rink having to be elevated too. there seems little opportunity for the public to engage in what is going on out on the ice. Nor is there much to see when one is skating.

I intended to take my skates down and have a quick whip round but what is putting me off is having to book beforehand for a certain session? If I could just turn up and jump on there I would.

Sorry to nitpick as I do think it's a good idea and one that is spreading far and wide now.