• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

Is anyone old enough to have gone to the Market Square when Nottingham Forest returned from winning the FA Cup v Luton (?) in 1959 (I think?). The team went on to the balcony of the Council House and crowds were cheering in the Square. I went with my friend not because I particularly liked football, just for the excitement. I remember I climbed up a small tree on the right of the Square to see better and met a new boyfriend up there!

I can remember going after school, there was 6 of us and we were given detention for going down there in our school uniforms with red and white streamers in our hair.........I can remember seeing Dwight on the lorry with his leg in plaster after he had broken his leg.....We were sitting on the Lion opposite the Flying Horse cheering like mad.......A teacher saw us.........

• Upvote 1

i can remember toilets late 50swhen still at junior school and definitly in the sixtis so got to be late 40s to mid 50s me thinks

Had many a wash and brush up in those toilets after work before going on a date back in the sixties..........It was s hilling for a bar of soap, towel and a basin of hot water................Oh happy days...

Can't remember what time - or day for that matter - when they arrived in the Square, so no idea whether I was wearing school uniform. Probably not or I wouldn't have climbed up the tree! I've still got the newspaper cuttings in a scrap book somewhere - I'll have to dig them out and refresh my memory

Certainly old enough to have seen Forest come back with the cup in 1959 . Seem to think my mum and me were standing on Carrington St to see them leave the station , though memory is a bit hazy now . Pathe news reel of the Square and crowds here

• Upvote 2

My dad was a big reds fan and he took me to see them, I would have been five. We waited on Queens Drive, where the bus came down from the station. I can still remember it very clearly, except I'd always thought they were on an open-top double-decker.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Looks like the ugly pointless "water feature" is getting a make-over. It's only been there a couple of years, so how much money are they wasting now? It would be more useful if they replaced the slabs with a bit of greenery.

market%20square.jpg

• Upvote 2

It's necessary work as it apparently is leaking underground. They need to identify and repair the leak and it's expected to be out of action till April or May. There is also going to be work carried out all the way around the council house perimeter on the gas main. This work is expected to finish in mid-March

I'd have thought they could get the leak repaired then dig the thing up again for the gas main repair and when thats all settled the BT men could move in and dig it all up for their cable laying followed by the water then the electric people like they usually do

Rog

The gas main runs immediately around the council house at the opposite end of the square from High St along Long Row, across the front and back along Cheapside. Maybe the electric that runs right through the square will be next. Then we'll have had the whole square up with no improvements.

I do know that the water feature will still be out of action on March 17th and the gas works are only due to finish a week before if there are no further delays (it's already 2 weeks late starting). We had a meeting with the council on Wednesday. I'm sure you're right though, it will all be organised around James Mellor's schedule.

Why not let our Engineer have a go at the water feature. He made a good job of that other feature in the Vic Centre.

• Upvote 4
  • 1 month later...

Was in Nottingham the other day. Around 6 00 pm it started getting dark, did not realise how many step's or up and down bits the square had until evening, thought of my mum who as getting older lost/ little sight left, thinking about this made me see how difficult the square is for people who have very little sight. Give Nottm back a real square where people can meet like we use to.

FOUNTAIN'S If Nottingham want good fountains then the planner's should go and look at Antibes in France. Now that's what I call fountains.

• Upvote 2

I've seen that and it's impressive. Over here, it'd be full of Stella and Red Bull cans, broken bottles, styrene fast food containers, McDonalds detritus and half eaten kebabs. Oh, and vomit.

Dissolutioned with society.... You bet.

• Upvote 3