• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

I've only been happy the last hour. Cheeky.

What is the foliage situation in the Square? Blinkin fountains and Tate modern tat..there is nowhere to sit comfortably.

I would have thought that with all the business rates and peoples taxes etc...that it would be nice to park 'yer bum and have a lunchtime sarnie.

If I want to look at slime and green lichen.. Bulwell Bogs and the Leen call!

I can remember when my wife and I first got together. She was working in the City Centre and we'd meet up in the Square for lunch most days. It was lovely to sit in the Market Square in the sunshine. It was a really pleasant place to be when they had plenty of places to sit, the fountains and beautiful flowers everywhere. Today, it's like a place where the North Koreans would do their marching practice.

• Upvote 4

That's a great description of the Square Michael. So lacking in 'personality' and evidently laid out like that in order to accommodate everything that the Mellors family wish to put there throughout the year.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No sand pit or kids amusements thank goodness.

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the old places i used to go to, all gone, market sq. more like crap sq. traffic routes, round the town, bloody circus, will be going today to look at Trinity Sq. not looking forward to it, truly thank christ for Nottstalgias lovely friends with their brilliant historic picture posts of old Notts. i know we have to keep up with modern times but do these so called clever planners, councillors etc. ever take a walk around the city and compare it with say 50 years ago, morons, spending squillions of quid on cheap tat turning the queen of the midlands into the tart of the midlands, as they say, disgusted of Notts.

• Upvote 5

will be going today to look at Trinity Sq. not looking forward to it,

Don't go !!!! It's not there. What you'll see will depress you; just remember how it used to be because I guarantee that will be better. It has been "modernised" to a point where it's been ruined beyond belief.

Look at this thread and then go somewhere else. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9431

• Upvote 1

i dont want to go, when i was a kid always kept saying to mam, dont wanna go, she's say, goin to central market, dont wanna go, goin to denman st. shopping, dont wanna go, goin to well anywhere, everywhere, in nottingham, me, dont wanna go, well WHISHED id bloody gone now, can hear her now, told yer so, knew you ought to have gone, now its all gone.

• Upvote 1

radfordred, #240, what a picture, bloody brilliant, late wife worked in the office at Griffins, her first job after leaving school, what would have been the building between the Griffins buildings, behind the Ford Popular. thanks for the pic anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Been in town this morning had to skirt round the square couldn't avoid it ,what an abomination should never have been allowed and now they making a "seaside again" rubbish.

Don't know if this has been asked before but what happened to all the beautiful stone that they ripped up or very carefully removed ?

Nicely situated in some councillors large garden I suspect.

Erected and landscaped by council workers during their working week of course. And at the taxpayers expense I might add, or am I just being cynical as usual?

• 2 weeks later...

Erected and landscaped by council workers during their working week of course. And at the taxpayers expense I might add, or am I just being cynical as usual?

Perish the thought....

However, I must say that I agree. The square has been turned into a boring flat space which just happens to be a bit handy for renting out to commercial operatives for whatever.

My fondest memories are of the time in the mid-late 60s when it was just a meeting place. Somewhere to sit. Somewhere for the campaigners and the recruters and the plain barmy to stand on a pedestal and spout their particular version of the truth. Somewhere for the community to gather in their city. It was fun.

But then.. I took this a year or so back.

It was fun.

20719196583_ef40d81e6d_b.jpg

In postcard 2 is that The Mikado about to be built?

If you Google old photos of the Mikado cafe you will see it had a pitched roof gable procting onto Long Row. So I think the Mikado is the building to the right of the bulding site and that the building under construction is an extension to Griffin and Spalding