• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

Love the picture of the market square with the exchange building why couldn't they have kept it ,it would have been easier to clean than the present council house which is filthy makes me ashamed for visitors to see it.

• 3 months later...

Did I ever tell you. When the Big Wheel was last in the Market Square, I was standing beside it when this dodgy-looking bloke came up to me and said:

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed - but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce... The cuckoo clock.

With that he turned, walked a short distance, lifted a manhole cover and disappeared down into the sewers. What do you make of that! 

DSCN1075_zpsfsqxd5r1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I sat in the 3rd floor restaurant at Debenhams this lunchtime and looked out over the square in the direction of Friar Lane.

Well what a depressing sight was in store. The multi storey office blocks looked disgusting, dismal and decidedly drab. 

Somewhat reminiscent of buildings I've seen in Bulgaria, Albania and East Germany.

As bad as the designs are, a good clean up wouldn't go amiss.

Oh, and the pecan slice was dull and drab too. 

• Upvote 1

I know ! I'm a boring old bu66er aren't I?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

How a bicycle is made :

Just watched the above film on Talking Pictures, shows the entire process of making a 'bike at the Raleigh works in the late 40's. Amazing. Forge work, hardening, machining, brazing, endless display of a British factory making everything from scratch.  The man hours and number of personnel involved incredible.

Glory days  !

A company I worked for had a contract with Raleigh to collect barrels of Nickel from London docks for delivery to the chromium shop. The load was so valuable the was no insurance within one mile of Charing Cross and a Securicor guard had to ride in the cab. Once loaded there was no stopping allowed for any reason until safely back in Raleigh works.

At the same time Raleigh were the biggest users of cyanide, for hardening metal, in the country. The extremely poisonous  waste was packed into half barrels and taken to Portishead docks where they were loaded onto the deck of a ship.  Then came what would now days be an environmentalists nightmare, they were simply dropped overboard in Mid-Atlantic.

Elf n Safety hadn't been invented then.

Slightly off route but can anyone recommend somewhere for an expat to visit, whilst on a brief whistle stop trip to Nottingham? I've only got a couple of days before emigrating to Thoresby Hall for a three night break. Sensible suggestions greatly appreciated. Ta! Barrie.

Apart from the inordinate amount of time and money it cost what annoys me most is the design.

When you apply to the council for planning permission one of the things they consider is the design relative to the surrounding buildings and if it's 'sympathetic'.

How a minimalist empty space fits in with the 18th and 19th century architecture is beyond me.  I'm told they are very keen to keep the 'atmosphere' of the city centre  and demand the frontages are not changed. One rule for them ...

Edit:

I've just found out that the area around the Brian Clough statue is an official 'speakers corner', the first outside London.

What a clever idea having people milling round where there is traffic close by.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Slightly off route but can anyone recommend somewhere for an expat to visit, whilst on a brief whistle stop trip to Nottingham? I've only got a couple of days before emigrating to Thoresby Hall for a three night break. Sensible suggestions greatly appreciated. Ta! Barrie.

Did you go round Wollaton Hall when you were last here?  

The Arboretum?

The Galleries of Justice (called something else now ...).  A bit horrifying but really interesting, nevertheless.

Cat cafe?

My old stamping ground - Woodthorpe Park for a game of pitch and putt?

Newstead Abbey?

Cresswell Crags?

Of course, a lot depends on the weather..  not the best time of year for most of these places

I'm sure the people who still live in Nottingham will have lots more ideas

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Come and have a cup of tea with us BK.  Tree might be up by then :victory:

Thank you ladies both..

Margie, bearing in mind 'er indoors now uses a rollator walker, some of the places you mentioned would be no go areas. We used to live near Woodthorpe park. My sister in law has suggested a visit to city centre by tram. She's not far from the Toton terminus.

Lizzie, may take you up on your offer. I suspect if I went to the halls of justice, they would probably keep me, with a "welcome back"!