19 hours ago, fogrider said:

How a bicycle is made :

Just watched the above film on Talking Pictures, shows the entire process of making a 'bike at the Raleigh works in the late 40's. Amazing. Forge work, hardening, machining, brazing, endless display of a British factory making everything from scratch.  The man hours and number of personnel involved incredible.

It's an interesting film, and also a great demonstration of how almost everything shown on Talking Pictures features people who speak with an upper-middle class accent. The boy and his father both sound as though they are lesser members of the royal family. Definitely not speaking Nottinghamese.

• Like 2
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, Brew said:

A company I worked for had a contract with Raleigh to collect barrels of Nickel from London docks for delivery to the chromium shop. The load was so valuable the was no insurance within one mile of Charing Cross and a Securicor guard had to ride in the cab. Once loaded there was no stopping allowed for any reason until safely back in Raleigh works.

Elf n Safety hadn't been invented then.

Cyanide was also used in the chrome plating plant Brew. On colder or rainy days I could get from head office to the Crown Island offices without going in the open air other than a dash over Triumph Road. Part of the route was through the plating shop. One of the largest automatic chroming plants in Europe. Huge open vats of boiling cyanide and other nasties. Cleared your head. 

21 hours ago, Beekay said:

Slightly off route but can anyone recommend somewhere for an expat to visit, whilst on a brief whistle stop trip to Nottingham? I've only got a couple of days before emigrating to Thoresby Hall for a three night break. Sensible suggestions greatly appreciated. Ta! Barrie.

What about visiting Southwell. There’s a car park opposite the Minster which is magnificent. There’s a nice cafe in the grounds so not far to walk. 

Cheers Letsavagoo, I will be staying up at Thoresby  hall over the weekend, so could possibly do a visit from there. Any idea how far it is from Perlthorpe.?

5 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Cyanide was also used in the chrome plating plant Brew.

I knew those vats 'ponged' a bit...

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

Cheers Letsavagoo, I will be staying up at Thoresby  hall over the weekend, so could possibly do a visit from there. Any idea how far it is from Perlthorpe.?

15 miles according to google and Phil. (Saw Phill’s post afternoon I’d posted so edited it)

• 6 months later...

Speaking of Toilets, the ones in Victoria Centre were closed last week, despite some of the shops being open.

However I think INTU have more things to worry about than how to operate Customer toilets in the current situation, they've put the Administrators on notice in case they don't manage to rearrange their payments on the £4.5bn debt that they have.

And all work on Broad Marsh is now on hold