Nightclub staff

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG. I remember the Hippo bit worked there when it was Camelot . Tony had it then. Pauline Walters on reception. Howie Howard Cooper was the DJ along with others, Nott's Forest crowd especially Viv A

Rest In Peace Trevor Nottingham legend x  

i think this is just what some folks need in their lives

Sorry to pee on yer bon fire but ain't the New Aribba doing just this

there are so many of us another club would be great.....agree the steps maybe too steep for some but hey what a challenge! ask jean starr...i bet she's up for it..we could have all the old djs back from the 70's and 80's and stanna them down!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

And just next door(ish) was the Cabin club, where you could drink 24 hours a day and just above the Cabin club, up the next flight of stairs was my flat!

Gordon, like all club owners, was a little bit shady, drove a Rolls-Royce and was treated with due respect! I remember fair hair, specs and a look it was best not to muck with.

Not sure how the Hippo would do these days - the dancefloor was only slightly bigger than a handkerchief and the DJ stand slightly smaller than a matchbox! Have to say the totty was the tops - best girls in the world ever - apart from the ones I knew later at the Penny. Maybe it was because girls were allowed in free before ten!

C

well i spent xmas night 1971( yes it was open ) with alex in the penny farthing...fuzzy's mum was the door lady ...we then went to a party with pat ( worked at the hippo but not as in keith and pat) in magdela road...one of her flatmates was going out with one of the guys in hot chocolate and the place was heaving with music talent....the party went on until new years eve which was spent at the hippo! where you there charlie?

well i spent xmas night 1971( yes it was open ) with alex in the penny farthing...fuzzy's mum was the door lady ...we then went to a party with pat ( worked at the hippo but not as in keith and pat) in magdela road...one of her flatmates was going out with one of the guys in hot chocolate and the place was heaving with music talent....the party went on until new years eve which was spent at the hippo! where you there charlie?

Hah!

That was passionate Pat! Her flatmates were Jane (the boobs) Boyfield (she went out with Errol and later with Flash Pete the manager at the Penny) (It was his DJ that Andrea went of to Hemel with) (Jane and I were together for quite a while) and Jane the Gap. Pat or Jane was a window Dresser! Gosh, I wish you could track one of them down! I don't think I knew them in Christmas 71 - but I was at the party in Christmas 72! Pretty much the same deal really.

I think it was flat 5 on Magdala! Big old house anyway!

Who the hell was Fuzzy?

The only doorlady I remeber was Brenda, but on the door there was Dave, Ron (who now owns several pubs in Brighton) and Tom. Later there were Pete's boys as well - Stinky Stewart and Ted! Stu Morris and Bob Lord also guested.

Don't know if you remember Bob - 3rd dan taught karati (shukokai) at the YMCA. He had a friend who later ran a pub on Parliament Street - can't remember his name right now.

pat was the window dresser.....i am still in touch with suzanne who lived with them at magdala road ( think it was 31) for a while in 72.... i remember Andrea going to hemel hempsted, the whole town was talking about it! Fuzzy was a nottingham mod from basford( don't know his real name) his mum took the cash on the door of the penny....a friend of mine had a daughter by him and she used to collect the maintainance from his mum at the club..............!!! .....did you know Gwen from the adlib...you daren't mess with her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, well the woman is definitely Brenda! You would not believe how much they were thieving off that door! I think theyre were 200 tickets that they recycled and there used to be about four hundred people in the club! I feel very sorry for anyone who had a child by Brenda's son!

Ask Suzanne if she knows what became of the others - PLEASE!

When I first knew Andrea - and when Tony rented the flat over the Hippo to us - she was a lovely girl, but after she took up with moonlight she bacame very full of a sense of her own importance. She decided Mick had to go becasue his feet smelled and he was untidy. Really it was becasue she wanted to get her brother and his girlfriend into the flat - can't remember his name now, but I think he was a mechanic somewhere in Carlton...

They went down to work in Scamps at Hemel and then up to the 'Luton Sands' which was Star Group's showpiece club - had a pirates ship at the edge of the dancefloor. I think they moved down to Southend which is when I went to work in Hemel for six months. I did a couple of stints at Sands and even got to work with Emperor Rosco!!

I was a bit surprised when she left, but they (she and moonlight were inseperable). George was his real name.

There was another guy at the Penny around that time - Andy Ash - don't suppose you knew him? He was one cool dude!

In 1978 i worked for MMD and Fonacar taxis. We used to take home a lot of staff from the pubs and clubs, Heart of the Midlands, Shades, Society club and the Flying horse are some of the regular ones i can remember. I don't remember any names though, even the faces are a blur, must be my age. Theatre Royal was also a regular, Tommy Cooper, The Nolan Sisters, Arthur Askey and Danny la rue are some of the people i drove.

As long as you let me spin a few every now and then !!!!!!

Well I better do it then! As for the Bob mentioned, the 3rd dan karateka ( a person that does karate) would it be Bob Lord?

Yes it would! I used to go to the dojo at the YMCA - till my boss at the Penny told me it was making me late for the club! I used to sit and watch Stu Morris (Mr Scary) spa with Bob. Trouble was Bob had heigt, speed and skill - so Stu never got the better of him. Mind you, just to keep it cool, neither did I! I started training again when Bob decided to open a class at the Musters in West Bridgford in the 80s. By this toime Bob was in trouble with the association because he thouight the non-contact thing was a little overrated. I think he'd been barred from contests at the time. Anyway on my first night there, bob told me to attack him...........which took more than a little persusion. Still I did as told and he hit me neatly, cleanly, quickly and very hard just at that point on the sternum..............fortunately the ability to breath returned before I suffocated, although I had apparently turned a very interesting shade of blue. Unfortunately, He also cracked three of my ribs. I'm ashamed to confess, but I never went back. Don't think I've seen him since. We were good friends though - in the late 70s, I worked with him in his painting business!

Do you have any idea where he is now Craig? Someone said out at Grantham running a pub - is it so?

• 3 weeks later...
And just next door(ish) was the Cabin club, where you could drink 24 hours a day and just above the Cabin club, up the next flight of stairs was my flat!

Gordon, like all club owners, was a little bit shady, drove a Rolls-Royce and was treated with due respect! I remember fair hair, specs and a look it was best not to muck with.

Not sure how the Hippo would do these days - the dancefloor was only slightly bigger than a handkerchief and the DJ stand slightly smaller than a matchbox! Have to say the totty was the tops - best girls in the world ever - apart from the ones I knew later at the Penny. Maybe it was because girls were allowed in free before ten!

C

Hello everyone,

I'm new so if what i write sucks - let me off this one time!

Back in the 70s I worked at Pharoahs (which later became the final solution) but can't remember the owner! Do any of you?

I also worked at the Hippo once or twice, people I remember were Keith and Pat - two fine DJs, Tony the manager, Gordon Long the owner and Andrea Maher and Wendy on the bar - There was also Brian on the door and a dark haired girl on cloaks. Out on the floor were linda Sanderson and her sister Janice, Kathy Prince and Christine Pringle

I had quite a spell at the penny farthing after Dr. Moonlight moved down South with Peter metcalf (Flash Pete). Folks I remember were Alan Cotterill, the manager, Brenda the very bent cashier! On the Door were little Dave, Ron, Tom and occassionally Bob Lord and another Karate guy - no hair - whose name escapes me. On the bar there was Kath Rose, Jean Hayes, Julie Warwick, sometimes Norma Norton and Andrea.

Out on the floor was Jane Boyfield, Pip Langstaff, Judy Doughty and a few other wonderful women! There was also the whole of the Penny Farthing Choir who used to stand behind the DJ box and sing the whole of Maggie May, while drinking 'half-pint' shorts! Nev Townshend, Glynn Newton, and a whole bunch of others all from Chillwell.

So, 30 years later and overcome with nostalgia as Christmas rushes towards me, I think, as I think every year, how cool it would be to know what happened to any of these folks - but especially little Norma and Julie - Oh and the lead singer out of Limelight who was kind of my pal.

There were loads of other people whose names I cant remember - Janice from Chillwel, the Basildon Basher (no really), Stinky Stuart's wife, Jackie the swimmer, Marilyn, Andy Ash, Dianne, Sue, Sheila - the Bowie bird Mickey Norton (managed Annabelles) Big Al - DJ at the Ad lib, Mick McArdle, from the Hippo. The list goes on and on.

If any of you remember any of the above and maybe know how they're doing, I'd love to hear from you! If you remember people I've forgotten, I'd love to hear about them too

Hope it's OK to ask and I hope one or two of you will post a post!

Cheers,

Charlie

OMG...Julie Warwick is one of my best friends and currently living in Florida (the bytch!!)...Norma is living in Barbados. More on that one another time

OMG...Julie Warwick is one of my best friends and currently living in Florida (the bytch!!)...Norma is living in Barbados. More on that one another time

Pat - you're kidding!! Julie was my landlady on Epperstone Road for a couple of years - Then she moved out of town to breed horses! Did Jason and Simon go out with her? God, the jammy so and so - I'll send you my email address in a message and you can send it to her and then maybe she'll write to me! Tell her if she doesn't I'll spill the beans! All of them! And little Norm in Barbados? Bet he's a hunk! I lost touch with her after she started working for social services back in the 90s and I've been trying to track her down ever since! Send her my address too and I'm sure she'll drop me a line. What happened to Joy and Robin? I know Julie married a guy from Bristol........Oh and Micky Norton, someone told me he's back in town (Ivy League?) any idea how I could get in touch? God it's fantastic to know where they both are.