Nightclub staff

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG. I remember the Hippo bit worked there when it was Camelot . Tony had it then. Pauline Walters on reception. Howie Howard Cooper was the DJ along with others, Nott's Forest crowd especially Viv A

Rest In Peace Trevor Nottingham legend x  

Newbie. Just off to the "Sex Pistols Experince" & it got me thinking about the Sandpiper.so I googled it & found this site. My mate Chris had a band called the Turbines & used to back some of the bands down there. Sham 69 were on there, Pursey had his mum with him. Never forget turning round & seeing this bloke standing on a table, trousers round his knees shoving a bottle up his **** in time to the beat!!

Nother time Souixsie & the Bs. Packed solid in front of the stage, bottle of Brown Ale in my hand & a bouncer reached down & nicked it! Well the "stage" was only about 2 ft high, I reached up, grabbed the bouncer & pulled him in. The space that appeared for the ensuing punch up was miraculous considering it was sardine tight. Anyway I got my bottle back :-)

The club was actually joined to another if you knew where to go. Forget what it was called but it was for the afro/carabeans, spelt wrong I know. Had some scary moments in there. Right I'm off into Newcastle. Catch up later,

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi Everyone¡

I return to the forum for Christmas, JO JO JO. I had some problems with the dsl conection, crazy. How are you (all)?

Best wishes

Tony

Donkey Bray Dec 20th 2008 , 05.50pm

Hi Tony,

I don’t know if you or anyone else remembers me. I’m Derek (Donkey) Bray

I worked the door at the Hippo with a guy called Kenny Burt on Friday and Saturdays from 1969 to 1971.

I let Keith Moon in one night as he wanted to meet Pat and view her records.

I remember you well – the smartest guy in town!

Working there at the time, I also remember Gordon Long, Ricky, Brian (Who worked on the bins in the daytime), Pat the dj and George Markowski, the deputy manager who broke his leg carrying potatoes down the stairs, I also remember a Spanish chef – a tiny bloke with an enormous temper.

I can remember us all playing football against the ‘Eight til Late Club at Bulwell Hall one Sunday morning. Gordon was in his Aston that day. I think we drew 1-1.

I’m now retired and living in Peterborough with very fond memories of that era.

I’d love to hear from you and anyone else who may remember me.

Hi Derek

Fer some reason I don't remember you Derek but I remember the night Keith Moon came down.......LOL

He was with JImmy McCulloch of Thunderclap Newman fame & later Wings.. They gave us a lift home in Keiths Bentley (complete wiv TV & stuff) I kept gettin messages from Keith askin when I was goin to London to visit. I SO wish I had now.

Lots bands used to come there for the music.......seems I got talked about......LOL

Are you thinkin of the Greek chef we had that used to like to throw knives?...........lol

Later we had a Spanish chef that was a tad more er...cool.......lol

I remember George breakin a leg..........i got a feelin he didn't last too long eh?..........LMAO

I was there from 68-72 so we MUST know each other. Look forward to more of your recolections

Good to hear from you Hippo Girl and Pat.

I greeted and checked tickets at the bottom of the stairs. I’m about 6ft 5 and would have had dark hair then (Grey now but still there!)

Ken Burt worked the door at the top, He was about the same height with short fair hair – a bit of a ladies man to say the least but not a graduate of the charm school. If he thought someone was too fat or too old for hot pants he used to tell them that when they came in. That led to his early demise at the club. I left with him as he was my mate. Loyalty heh?

I can remember a lot of the Forest team coming in regularly, particularly Liam O’Kane.

I seem to remember Gordon buying another club at Derby one time and sending me over a time or two to bounce there.

Did Barry die in his car on the way there one night? Who was the older, very attractive girl he was involved with? She used to paint the hippos on the wall at the club.

I remember lots of evidence that the club was haunted. Any weird experiences?

Gordon did indeed buy a club in Derby (called it the Hippo) about 1969/70. He also bought one at Leicester too. I went over to Derby on a Wednesday night for a while. Gerry Gibson Jr was the manager there.

Barry died in a car crash but I don't think it was on the way to the club. Sad day that as his brother Gren died the same way a year or so before.

The girl you mean was Miney Todd, she did a lot of art work when the former kitchen was turned into the restaurant.

I'm sure the club WAS haunted, I had some very strange experiences in there all the time I worked there. A number of people said the same, they saw & felt things that they couldn't explain.

PS Nice to know ya still got your hair.......lol

• 1 month later...
Donkey Bray Dec 20th 2008 , 05.50pm

Hi Tony,

I don't know if you or anyone else remembers me. I'm Derek (Donkey) Bray

I worked the door at the Hippo with a guy called Kenny Burt on Friday and Saturdays from 1969 to 1971.

I let Keith Moon in one night as he wanted to meet Pat and view her records.

I remember you well – the smartest guy in town!

Working there at the time, I also remember Gordon Long, Ricky, Brian (Who worked on the bins in the daytime), Pat the dj and George Markowski, the deputy manager who broke his leg carrying potatoes down the stairs, I also remember a Spanish chef – a tiny bloke with an enormous temper.

I can remember us all playing football against the 'Eight til Late Club at Bulwell Hall one Sunday morning. Gordon was in his Aston that day. I think we drew 1-1.

I'm now retired and living in Peterborough with very fond memories of that era.

I'd love to hear from you and anyone else who may remember me.

I'd forgotten Ricky! Brian - I couldn't forget. I always thought the Chef was called Manuel.

Gordon did indeed buy a club in Derby (called it the Hippo) about 1969/70. He also bought one at Leicester too. I went over to Derby on a Wednesday night for a while. Gerry Gibson Jr was the manager there.

Barry died in a car crash but I don't think it was on the way to the club. Sad day that as his brother Gren died the same way a year or so before.

The girl you mean was Miney Todd, she did a lot of art work when the former kitchen was turned into the restaurant.

I'm sure the club WAS haunted, I had some very strange experiences in there all the time I worked there. A number of people said the same, they saw & felt things that they couldn't explain.

PS Nice to know ya still got your hair.......lol

A lot of the girls used to say they felt things on the dance floor that they couldn't explain. Said it gave 'em the willies! Well, there is an explanation and it was called Ian Barratt! Or Stevie Frost. Or Colin. But never me!

Mick McCardle aleways reckoned that the barrel cellar was the spookiest place in the world - he reckoned ghosts for sure.

Don't suppose any of you remember Alsation Pat?

PS - where's Tony buggered off to now?

I liked Alsatian Pat! Although, I have to say, I wouldn't have wanted to get too close. Besides, it was the bad guys what brought her to that pass!

Two guys came back to memory - I think one was Trevor Wood - local hard man - and a guy who was a mercenary - well on the way to being overweight - can't remember his name - but he used to come back from Africa every now and then loaded down with bootie! I seem to remember they both helped to train her................

Don't suppose you know what became of 'Big Al' -used to DJ at the Ad Lib and come down to the Hippo to steal your ideas!

Yeah Charlie..she was always fine with me. The things ya remember eh?......LOL

I remember Trevor Woods well but I can't remember the name of the other guy.

Talking of Trevors, anyone remember Trev Austin? he worked at the Hippo for a good few years.

No idea what became of Al, Charlie

What about Wendy - barmaid - Red hair and enough make-up to open her own salon? Wasn't there a pretty, dark-haired lass who was usually up on that little bar, up the stairs off the dance floor?

Pat was actually a lovely lass - just not bright enough to understand what they were turning her into. I used to feel really sorry for her as it happens.

Trev Austen - can't remember him at all - was he on the door?

Hi Hippo Girl! That is such a good question - but I keep wondering it about so many people! How come there's only about half a dozen of us left? I sometimes wonder if I've misremembered it all! Don't suppose you ever had any luck with Alex? Passionate Pat? There are just so many people I'd love to say 'and how's your life been then' to! I was really big mates with Andrea - we shared a flat for God's sake - but she seems to have vanished of the face of the earth.

Yes I know you were the prettiest girl behind the bar - but was that really you? Not tall, dark hair and a smile that gave any man within twenty yards a hard lump in their throat?

I seem to remember there was no draught beer up there - I also remember it was Watneys red on the main bar! 10p for half a pint! Which is expensive when I think I can get boxes of Carlsberg now that work out at about 67p a pint from Bargain Booze!

not had any luck finding alex and the old crew...exchanged xmas cards with suzanne but she is not interested in finding old friends...what is it with people!!!!!!!good times should always be remembered and if possible kept spiritually alive within us all.........this great site has and will continue to keep those memories alive....as for the tall dark pretty girl on the top bar, was she a student at manchester uni and parked her bright yellow mg on bridlesmith gate???????

She wasn't tall - it was just the step behind the bar! Colin was in love with her - so was I and Steve and Ian and..............................Pat will know who it was!

She can't have been from Manchester 'cos I'd remember Ian using that as a way in to her affections - he was a Manchester lad, at the poly, with me. But for Ian, I'd never have gone out on the town! But, I would be a barister making gazillions defending the worlds businessmen from there just desserts! Hmm, maybe I made the right choice after all!

Mind you - you saying that about a tall girl brings back a memory of a tallish, pretty blonde - hair parted centrally (?) style a bit like early Lulu? I think she worked the top bar sometimes. Do you remember her? Is that you? Pat, does it ring any bells with you?

Yes he did! He just upped and quit - well, almost. Neither of us had been in the poly for the whole term and were on our way out anyway. Ian had met a girl - petite, dark haired - Janice? Janet? Very shy girl. Having talked me out of settling down when we met - so I could be his ugly mate - he suddenly decided to quit college get married himself and get a job - with the Insurance company - Colonial? Imperial? Wish I could remember.

I was supposed to be best man but I had a very heavy night before - I think I'd ben tripping - and never made it out of bed. He never forgave me. :-( I think he moved out to a flat near the top of Carlton Hill.

I've googled him to death but he too has vanished!

Our other friend was Stevie frost - big gangly lad - skinhead hair but not nature - total nutter though! Steve lives in Wales somewhere now - very successful businessman - married a lovely girl had kids and stuff! I tried to get him to join Nottstalgia, but no joy.

We used to hang out with Colin and Alan, up near the top bar and then wander down onto the dance floor to make the acqauintance of some young lady. iloveyoutoo