Nightclub staff

i think ian had worked at a club in manchester when i was behind the bar.....i knew he was at nottingham poly and he knew i worked the hippo in the holidays........hence we did link up again in nottingham and kept in touch until he married ....would be so weird if it was the same ian....he turned up at suzannes door as her financial advisor 1979 1980?....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG. I remember the Hippo bit worked there when it was Camelot . Tony had it then. Pauline Walters on reception. Howie Howard Cooper was the DJ along with others, Nott's Forest crowd especially Viv A

Rest In Peace Trevor Nottingham legend x  

Yes he did work at a club in Manchester - Time and Place I think. He had been in the army and then worked the clubs and then decided to get educated. It so has to be the same Ian!!

I don't suppose two miracles are possible - would Suzanne remember him? Would she be able to contact him? Or maybe even remember the name of his company and then I could kind of contact someone there!

although suzanne and i are still in touch, she doesn't like the nostalgic bit and isn't helpful...think you may be right on the colonial lines!...yes i worked time and place and mr smiths with ian, so chances are it is him...give me a couple of days to remember more.....as for the barmaid with the lulu haircut, was it sandra brookes?...are you out there Brookesy

Blonde hair? Little bit of backcombing? Dressed to perfection and more chat-up lines than Euston has railway lines! Amazing bloke really! There was another Mancunian turned up for a while - taller than Ian - bleached-blonde hair - called Clive. He cut Trevor (if we have the same trevor) with a steel comb and then left town! Trevor, in handcuffs, was dragging two cops around in the Hippo as he tried to pursue Clive! Clive actuall fled - with his face whiter than his hair! Never did like him!

Dunno, could have been Sandra? Could have been Mavis - all I can see is the face! Pat'll know!

Oops - sorry!

Anyway, HG, do you remember Ian's pale blue V dub? Plus he also had a girlfriend (barmaid) at T&P - she looked like a lot of his girlfriends, long brown hair, tall, willowy, frop dead gorgeous..... Also, like a lot of them, she was called Janet or Janice!

He also had a favourite opening line - 'Tickle your arse with a feather' and when the girl said 'what did you say?' he did his knicker-melting smile and said 'I said, Typical Manchester weather'. He made it all look so easy!

He told me that after pulling at T&P, where there was real competition, pulling in town was a doddle!

lol

i can rmember arriving at work one night and remembering i had left the oven on ...ian will give you a lift back said the boss.....be back asp...off course we weren't, made up some story of breaking down and while the bar at Tan P were waitin to be served we were in another !!!!! !laughing!

HG - Don't know if Ian is still in Notts - Probably not and probably retired by now! Was there a 'Britannia' insurance in Notts? I can picture a big old building up near the Town centre and I think that was its name.

Don't suppose you could at least persuade your friend Suzanne to part with the name of the Company he worked for? I could make a start from there......

Yeah Charlie..she was always fine with me. The things ya remember eh?......LOL

I remember Trevor Woods well but I can't remember the name of the other guy.

Talking of Trevors, anyone remember Trev Austin? he worked at the Hippo for a good few years.

No idea what became of Al, Charlie

trev live's in beeston saw him the bookie's about a month ago.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

I'm back again because the Hippo years were the happiest years of my life.

I can just about accept the fact that nobody really remembers me ....ahhhhh.... but put it down to the fact that not everyone knows how to find this site.

Just to remind everyone, even Pat the DJ, who has, unforgivably, stated she doesn't remember me, even though we were both there the night Keith Moon, yes, Keith Moon, took her home.

Just to remind everybody that might be remotely interested, I was, and still am, 6ft 5", I was an ex copper, I knew Polish George, also an ex copper, or cadet, well, I got on well with `TONY, even though he only paid me #2,50 for Sat and Sun (the fiddles more than made up for that)I knew Dustbin George, Ricky, Miney Todd and , best of all Kenny Burt,my soul mate, the blonde haired lothario that ran the door. `if anyone can't remember Ken or I, you must have been completely drugged up - most people were about then. Let's keep this post going - its important!

Eh Up D.B.

Its called bumping, yer jus did it.

Ex Copper you say?

Sounds like the days when they were Propper, an that's what I say.

Perhaps yer a mate of Tugs?

• 1 year later...

I have names in my head I'm trying to recall... Cliff Adlard, Colin Bontoff (bonny), Kevin Parkes..Sean broughton, Sue, drove a red tvr, lived in the park..another guy from the park, taught me how to play poker and he flew a light aircraft...am I jogging anybody's memories.. I wouldlov e to hear from you.

My mum was working at the Victoria Hotel, I think as a manicurist She was living on forest road at that time. I would be very interested to know anyone who knew her at that time specifcally, I would have some interesting questions. Does anyone know if Miney Todd is still around?