Nightclub staff

Hello everyone,

I'm new so if what i write sucks - let me off this one time!

Back in the 70s I worked at Pharoahs (which later became the final solution) but can't remember the owner! Do any of you?

I also worked at the Hippo once or twice, people I remember were Keith and Pat - two fine DJs, Tony the manager, Gordon Long the owner and Andrea Maher and Wendy on the bar - There was also Brian on the door and a dark haired girl on cloaks. Out on the floor were linda Sanderson and her sister Janice, Kathy Prince and Christine Pringle

I had quite a spell at the penny farthing after Dr. Moonlight moved down South with Peter metcalf (Flash Pete). Folks I remember were Alan Cotterill, the manager, Brenda the very bent cashier! On the Door were little Dave, Ron, Tom and occassionally Bob Lord and another Karate guy - no hair - whose name escapes me. On the bar there was Kath Rose, Jean Hayes, Julie Warwick, sometimes Norma Norton and Andrea.

Out on the floor was Jane Boyfield, Pip Langstaff, Judy Doughty and a few other wonderful women! There was also the whole of the Penny Farthing Choir who used to stand behind the DJ box and sing the whole of Maggie May, while drinking 'half-pint' shorts! Nev Townshend, Glynn Newton, and a whole bunch of others all from Chillwell.

So, 30 years later and overcome with nostalgia as Christmas rushes towards me, I think, as I think every year, how cool it would be to know what happened to any of these folks - but especially little Norma and Julie - Oh and the lead singer out of Limelight who was kind of my pal.

There were loads of other people whose names I cant remember - Janice from Chillwel, the Basildon Basher (no really), Stinky Stuart's wife, Jackie the swimmer, Marilyn, Andy Ash, Dianne, Sue, Sheila - the Bowie bird Mickey Norton (managed Annabelles) Big Al - DJ at the Ad lib, Mick McArdle, from the Hippo. The list goes on and on.

If any of you remember any of the above and maybe know how they're doing, I'd love to hear from you! If you remember people I've forgotten, I'd love to hear about them too

Hope it's OK to ask and I hope one or two of you will post a post!

Cheers,

Charlie

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG. I remember the Hippo bit worked there when it was Camelot . Tony had it then. Pauline Walters on reception. Howie Howard Cooper was the DJ along with others, Nott's Forest crowd especially Viv A

Rest In Peace Trevor Nottingham legend x  

Hi Charlie

Welcome

Just a Quickie, its late

Pharoes is mentioned elswhere (search button), when I could not remember what it was called.

Thanks for adding some memorable names.

Look forward to hearing from you

• 4 months later...

i worked at the hippo club in 1971..Tony was the manager, Gordon long the owner and Alex Smith the DJ ( he also worked sandpipers club on broadway)...the crowd was great and Brian the doorman kept everyone in check...what happened to everyone from the summer of 71?...come on guys, i feel a reunion coming on !!!!

Just a tad before my time Hippo Girl (Welcome by the way) I was a late 70's kid

I was going until I got married and moved (Long story) I still enjoy a couple of scoops when I get over (Plus a quick nip up the new ARRIBBA on St James Street ,to see Alan and Margerate.)

There may be one or two reprobates in the Lincolnshire Poacher on Mansfield Road tonight

(Is it true Mansfield Road only goes downhill now??? LOL)

sounds like you are in for a good evening...use to go to the old arriba, and went a few years back to the new one....am quite enjoying the motown northern soul nights that are springing up around notts

Hi Hippo Girl. I used to go in the Hippo early seventies, did the owner live at Keyworth and have a daughter who would be about 50 now? If so can you remember her name.

Gordon Long owned the hippo club...think he lived at Keyworth but can't remember his daughters name. It was such a great place to work and i would love to get some of the old crowd together again. can you remember Alex the DJ who also worked sandpipers

it was the hippo in the early 70's, then it became camelot before the powell family changed the name back in the early 90's ( my eldest son had his 21st there)...then it became the Bomb...would someone buy it for me and we could take off from where we left...happy times

I remember they were the first to employ a female bouncer, that would have been late 80's I think

There we go again mentioning the "Sandpiper" (I have spent what seems like the past ten years trying to remember the name of that place, and it crops up on here every other day now!!!)

would someone buy it for me and we could take off from where we left...happy times
A syndicate? I'm in. now wheres them tight trousers?

I'm in, I've got 50p, an old silver threpenny bit, and two full books of "Greenshield Stamps".

keith simmons owned Pickwicks on Parliament street...think Gordon Long owned image boutique ( now fat face clothes) on St Peter's gate...........what about a syndicate to buy the old hippo club!!!!!!!!!!

Alan & Margaret might be interested?

You have to make £1057.69 pw, just to cover the rent?

Perhaps not!