Record & Music shops

Just above slab square and just before the Bell (?) there was the Redifusion shop, which sold records downstairs. (Alan Cotterill, tight git, used to give me a six pounds a week allowance for records) Mostly I ended up using my own money! I did get freebies from the reps - but mostly they were rubbish. well, there was this one single by a brand new band called - Roxy Music! !englandflag!

can't remember the name of the manager, but I did meet him years later in his own shop down in Derby! can anyone else remember the shop and his name? all the staff used to come up to the Penny at the weekend!

Then, later on selectadisc hit the streets - I think they started out on Bridlesmith gate - record heaven or what?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

Used to buy mine at Arcade records (mentioned else where) and Robs record mart ( again mentioned else where) and yup I was always out of pocket.............

I would have loved to have most of that era's collection now , instead of having to leave them behind for the tw*t (And you can think that says twit if you like ) who thought (or insisted) he paid for them.

The S*ngh family of Broadway/ Hockley area are particularly thought of here

By the way I have asked else where but is this Reddifusion shop where we had to pay our bills (If we had Reddifusion telly) in the 60's ?? I asked before but got no answers. Cos I remember going in there regularly as a 3/4 year old and seeing people (Including my Mum and Dad) standing there in Boothe's listening to the latest tracks before buying them

There was a Reddifusion shop near the Odeon that sold records, also another Reddifusion (possibly offices) on Castle Boulevard near Castle rock. Also premises on Victoria street Sherwood near the prison.

Anyone remember the Rediffusion record label?

The first records I ever got my hands on (note not bought) were from Griffin & Spaldings record department. When I was a kid my big sister worked in their and would come home with all these wonderful records like the latest Beatles, Stones 45's and albums. It was her that introduced me to Otis Redding through Otis Blue and he's still my main man, RIP Otis. Particularly remember the listening booths in their which seemed very cool to me - as did my big sister.

• 8 months later...

Vauxhall Bridge? Thats over the Thames isn't it. I recall Selecta disc being on the right hand side just before the old Arkwright Street station, there was also a wierd second hand shop with a headless skeleton in the window nearby. We made the owner an offer for the skeleton as my mate thought it would look cool sitting on the back of his Lambo TV175, he wanted silly money for it though.

It was a real pain having to walk all the way down to Selecta disc from the City Centre, but at the time there wasn't another shop like it, though there was another, second hand record shop on the corner of Wilford Road, next to the bike shop, Bunny's? If you were desperately skint, they would buy stuff off you, it seemed a reasonable deal at the time, but looking back, probably a rip off.

It was a relief when Selecta disc moved to it's new position, near the Theatre Royal and next door but one to the music shop, who's name eludes me, can anyone remember it. If I had a bit of cash, I would sniff around Selecta disc, buy something then add to my collection of Hohner blues harps from the music shop.

All my vinyls are stored in the garage, many of them must of come from Selecta disc, I know that my rare numbered edition of the Beatles White Album did for a start. I also have a load of singles in the loft, and believe it or not, along with them, I've got an original, orange, paper Selecta disc carrier bag, album sized, I wonder how many of those have survived, a treasured item.

Pre-Selecta disc, I used to go to Redifussion near the Odeon, whoever he was, the bloke behind the counter in the mid 60's seemed to have a fair bit of knowledge.

Late 66, John Peel played this record on the radio by a bloke called Jimi Hendrix, it was called Hey Joe.

I went off down to Redifusion and made enquiries, matey behind the counter said, 'We had 3 pre release samples, I've got one, 2 girls have just come in and bought one and it seems you are about to buy the other'. So I did, and I still have it, it went down a storm at my following 16th birthday party.

Talking of Jimi Hendrix, but slightly off thread. We used to go down to London a lot in the late 60's.

One of our little treats was a record shop off Piccadily Circus called Harlequin, a sort of small London version of Select disc, but out of this world, the only place I ever saw the original cover version of 'The 2 Virgins' by Lennon and Yoko displayed in the window.

One day we went down there, reckon it was summer 68, straight round to Harlequin. As we got to the door, someone was coming out, my mate held the door open for him and who should walk out but Jimi Hendrix, we were stunned and speechless, he just smiled and said thank you.

Well who knows, perhaps during Bing Crosby's final tour of Europe when he had a pint in the Tavern In the Town, he'd previously been across the road to Selecta disc to suss out the latest punk offerings, doubtfull, but you never know.

You are right about 'Oscrofts' on the Arkwright Street Bridge.

in the 60's, the wall of the bridge facing as you left the front of the Midland Station

had an advert for GIRLING

Word Association? Did it also have the word Vauxhall?

I do remember as a kid, mid 60's, being on the bus travelling from Canning Circus down Wollaton Street.

There was a car dealers at the top on the left near the top, and the big signs were for Austin Morris and MG. Who would that dealer be?

Hooleys was on Derby Road? and werent they a ford dealer

The One on Wollaton Street Talbot Street, I think was a Double Barreled name?

Which makes me think of Morkel & Carnell? (sp)?

Hooleys was on Derby Road? and werent they a ford dealer

Correct

The One on Wollaton Street Talbot Street, I think was a Double Barreled name?

That was my first thought too but I'm damned if I can remember it.

Morkel & Carnell? (sp)?

No - I don't recognise that name.

Another post I made has dissapeared !!!!, I posted just after your post Mick ,agreeing on Morkell and Carnhill. Also asking where was the recent mention of a Hooleys being in that vacinity??

I think Hippo girl and Plantfitt were involved in the discussion (Although I may be wrong!!)

• 5 weeks later...

Firbeck, the name of the record (and dirty book!) shop was Ace Records, and was run by a guy called Ben (ny) and his sis. he was a big mate of Les's, who worked downstairs at the Rediffusion shop that started this topic!.

When I worked on Goldsmith street in the mid 70's, I would spend a lot on my time, and money in Selectadisc, whilst secretly wanting to go upstairs at Ace!!!

Erm.......and the connection to record shops in Nottingham is................?

just that somebody said they'd seen jimi in one, guy I know saw the band in an old van broken down in nottingham, (later recalled by noel redding when said mate did a "hendrix tribute" number in front of him and jimi's dad)