Charlie

Record shops

I know I am going back to the 60s but bought my first 78 at Papworths on Alfreton Road. Paul Anka's Diana.

A good friend of mine in Tipperary Ian Dawson sent me this link. Very interesting with lots of Nottm music shops mentined.

A - Z British music shop archive

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/nottinghamshire-a---z.html

• Upvote 2

This from  1966 typifies why once a week i went record hunting, i purchased this as per the image on Demo Decca and still own it today 41 years later.

When i got serious about putting together a real collection- i was only dipping my toes in the world of music.

I was working in a nightclub as a chef and commanding a good wage, soon i was expanding generes and tastes from Plas Johnson to Pentangle.

Hop of the 44 at Canning Circus and there was Sounds Good where i completed my Sun 45's and still blast Ooby Dooby by the big O.

Marty Wilde,Duffy Power,Fabian...i scooped up mint singles for pounds.

Across to Music Inn ...Sunbeam and Columbia labels..Johnny Horten, Little Eva and Bix Biderbecke..lovely US albums with fold over sleeves. American stuff on Rare Bird too.

Contours,Cadets,Cash and  Cramer.

Apart from Pearl,Ludwig and Gretsch -Music Inn stocked some pearlers and the staff were perplexed but pleased that a young punk dressed in an old corpo jacket and drainpipes is asking for The Five Satins or Chet Atkins.

Two record/ junk shops at the top of Cromwell St. Sleevless singles..but after a wash...some keepers and the Handful of Hank Locklin are still on the shelves.

Past Ben Bowers and Something Special ...cast an eye on my bourbon importer and into Oxfam...a veritble gold mine.

The Castle Rock LP was bought here as was Fill Your Head With Rock and Transatlantic Samplers.

Those ,a few cravats and a Tootal paisley it was time to trot past my old alma mater and to Chapel Bar and Arcade Records...a home for rare stuff.German albums on Nova or Hor Zu. And Robert Parker stuff on Sue.

A dj copy of Barefootin is loud!

You'd need a brew- into The Palace Coffee House for a froth and rumbaba..or the Light Bite for a 'fold over'sausage roll and a rest.

PT.1

• Like 5

Yes indeed! It never has been all punk,jazz and obscure soul and sixties.

Gamble and Huff penned this 1974 classic and Sheila did it for me!

Loved Pussycat,Clout, and Sailor-a good song is a good song. Don Black and Roger Greenaway were and are faves.

HMV was on Wheeler Gate above Pronuptia in vinyl time..plenty of Bo Diddley and Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.

Quick gander in Wakefields for any Army & Navy garb..fell boots went well

with a pair of ankle stranglers.

Up past the Bradford and Bingley all roads led to King Street and the notorious Virgin Records...pre Bollocks fiasco this place was heaving with serious plastic. From Weather Report to The Desperate Bicycles.

Punk was so in it's infancy the few 45's were in a shoe box plastered in a collage of Harold Wilson adorned in IRA military clothing!

Of course the market in Victoria Centre housed Jones..great stall for badges and 2nd hand-Father and Son business and you could haggle. Pablo Moses and Delroy Wilson all from here and still grace the turntable to this day.

Swing ( sorry) round to Pendulum Records..a compilaton haven.

Unit 4 +2. Badfinger.Honeybus..he had the lot..now the Manic St.Preachers stuff i sourced here is seriously valuable.Foxs upstairs in Victoria Centre..yards past Dewhursts had an arsenal of great 45's and ep's.

And those electronic reprocessed stereo albums on London and Parrot labels.

Bradleys of course on Clumber St. at the side of Thraves opposite Dennis & Roberts..they had one upstairs in Vic Centre near Jeffs in '73. This later became Virgin ( Yes it was here) for all doubters..had a chrome turnstile at the door and TV's in the window at night looping those Godley and Creme made videos. Our Price,Revolver, Robs, Way Ahead , Ace and Woolworths ( remember the strap line?

"Our 45's are 45"..they were for a long time..up the road apiece adjacent to Dunn & Co  was WH Smith..nice grill in their farmhouse kitchen..went in one day and asked for some Lou Rawls

"Try woolies for toilet paper "was the answer..True!! Selectadisc 2 was on Bridlesmith gate..singles bar and 2nd hand upstairs.

Brians office was here too..great conflabs with the late Mr.Selby and an ex miner.

Slowly and i embraced it-the CD crept in and tastes in little heard of bands grew...folks knowledge of world music grew and the lid was lifted on rarities.

Vinyl shrank-games and CD's flourished...unplugged was the flavour of the decade...and A&M declared :

"Home taping is killing Music"

They were'nt wrong! Shops closed/ vinyl vanished and kids didn't rebel anymore. Rock n Roll was all about 

'F**k off' whether that be parents, boss , school or just life.

Sticking it to the man was gone..youth lost it mojo and went nano.

But not all is lost, savvie youngsters are still  seeking out Geno Washington...but the mode of listening to it has simply changed.

In a nostalgic way there was nothing like blasting a record and slipping on a Mam ironed shirt..getting ready for town.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In part two Cliff( small faces LP).

Downstairs...the one i missed was the shop after Bradleys...before Virgin.

Nequests were before my time and Scotts rarely. 

24-smash-hits-1-14-september-1983.jpgwoolies..great for singles..Ram Jam - Black Betty and Mighty Real by Slyvester were two i still have.

Their 45's were 45p.

Remember that Woolworths used to sell their own brand (I think) of records - Embassy.

Once in Woolies record department I was star struck by seeing Wee Willie Harris in there, technicolour hair and bow tie, wide shoulder jacket, the lot! Quite a revalation because it wasn't that obvious on black and white telly. Even more surprising is to see that he is still around and apparently still performing at the age of 85!!

Forgot to say that this would have been around about 1957/1958.

Must have been there at same time commo, i saw him having coffee too,thought it was BHS,,maybe was Woollies, 

On the 50th anniversary of The Beatles White Album release this month I vaguely remember buying it on the release date.

I think the store I bought it from was on the corner of Thurland Street in town, now occupied by the Zara fashion store. 

There were obviously lots of record shops in Nottingham in the past, can anyone remember their names and whereabouts?

That was Boots where Zara is now.  I too bought most of my records there in the 60s, we spent many Saturday afternoons down in the basement in the record booths.  

• Like 1

There is some massive, massive topics on Nottingham record shops with over 250 replies can you imagine the interest it may create for new & old members, if a moderator moved this question to one of these? New topics are a waste of time & just get lost & buried. 

Edit: What if someone merged the two topics below together? No wonder I was a factory worker  :crazy:

• Like 1

Factory worker RR?, they are the power house of all industry, never pull your sen down youth

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Merge the two threads?

How Do You Do It - please excuse the pun!

8 hours ago, radfordred said:

There is some massive, massive topics on Nottingham record shops with over 250 replies can you imagine the interest it may create for new & old members, if a moderator moved this question to one of these? New topics are a waste of time & just get lost & buried. 

Edit: What if someone merged the two topics below together? No wonder I was a factory worker  :crazy:

I've done it.  I still have all the powers - just not used them much recently.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1