Anyone ever frequent any of those clubs?? Working at Clifton and then Cotgrave after Clifton closed I was an automatic member.

Cheap beer, sometimes good entertainment.

One of the best I ever went in was Hucknall Colliery Welfare, always packed, good entertainment etc, and of course beer a lot cheaper than any pub!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to go to 'The stute' in the Meadows on a Friday after work, also Gedling miners for a game of snooker also on Fridays after work.

My favourite though was the Building Trades Social Club in Sneinton, Saturday (or was it Friday) night, one week it was an entertainer (Saw Liz Dawn (Vera Duckworth in Coronation street) there once ) and the inevitable Bingo, the following week it was 'Donkey Derby' (Horse racing on film, you bought shares in what horse number you thought would win) great night out ,few games of cards, few beers, bit of entertainment can't be bad, all for £1.00 a year or 20p on the door

Regular patron of numerous Miner's Welfares since the mid 50's. Have to agree that Hucknall MW was as good as any.

Others worth a mention would be Bestwood MW, regular frequenter there when I worked at No 6 Area HQ - immediately across the road...good chance that either the steward, or the drinkers, would carry the ultra common village surname of either Hamilton or Mayes!

My 'local' MW was Basford Hall on Nuthall Road, connected with Cinderhill & Babbington Collieries.

The pubescent youth of the area often peered through the windows to witness the Sunday lunch 'adult' sessions, performed by a number of rather elderly (most needed ironing) ladies...enough to set the viewers sexual 'progress' back some years!

Most surprised to realise that the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation [CISWO], the original umbrella movement for the colliey welfares, is still in being.

http://www.ciswo.org.uk/

A most worthy charity movement which was always available to attend the needs of the colliery working class - who were treated so despicably by the Bitch from Grantham.

Delighted to read that she is quite ill in her dotage vampire2

Cheers

Robt P.

While living at Hucknall not two hundred yards from the Headstocks I use to pop in the MW there for a drink with my next-door neighbour at the time, not on a regular basis you understand just on the odd occasion while visiting other pubs within the vicinity. Had no idea what the entertainment was like in those places but as someone already has said it was always heaving.

I spent most Sunday nights in the working mans club in Arnold, I believe that club is still there, it’s down one of the back streets the name eludes me for the present.

Bip.

I used to visit a few miners welfares in the seventies, Calverton mostly but the best was Cotgrave. In the sixties they had some big names on there Lulu was one name that springs to mind. Basford miners (creepers) was also good on Sunday lunch time.

Others worth a mention would be Bestwood MW, regular frequenter there when I worked at No 6 Area HQ - immediately across the road...good chance that either the steward, or the drinkers, would carry the ultra common village surname of either Hamilton or Mayes!

I'm often in Bestwood walking and running, Rob. I was walking through there last winter and came across a film crew at the Bestwood Miners Welfare shooting the recent film 'Control' about Joy Division singer Ian Curtis. They reckoned that the area looked more Manchester of that era than Manchester does now.

I spent most Sunday nights in the working mans club in Arnold, I believe that club is still there, it’s down one of the back streets the name eludes me for the present.

Bip.

I used to go to Arnold Working Men's club years ago. It was a nightly haunt of my old man when he was still alive. It's actually on the main Front Street, a few doors up from ASDA supermarket, mate. You're not thinking of one of the other clubs in Arnold are you? There's quite a few of them.

I used to go to Arnold Working Men's club years ago. It was a nightly haunt of my old man when he was still alive. It's actually on the main Front Street, a few doors up from ASDA supermarket, mate. You're not thinking of one of the other clubs in Arnold are you? There's quite a few of them.

I have looked in the A to Z and the club I refer to is on Albony St off St Albon's Rd Stu the name of the actual club still eludes me but then again some beer has passed by my lips since them days.

Those were the days when I use to drink and drive and thought nothing of it.

Maybe I might have been lucky or it might have something to do with my driving skills while pisssed but I never once had a bang.

Bip.

I have looked in the A to Z and the club I refer to is on Albony St off St Albon's Rd Stu the name of the actual club still eludes me but then again some beer has passed by my lips since them days.

Those were the days when I use to drink and drive and thought nothing of it.

Maybe I might have been lucky or it might have something to do with my driving skills while pisssed but I never once had a bang.

Bip.

I wondered if you might mean that one, Den. The name eludes me too, it might be the Ex-Servicemen's Club? Arnold was always a big club town. Some people think the pubs suffered because of that. Off the the top of my head, past and present:

Ex-Servicemen's

British Legion (Victory Club

Labour Club

Liberal Club

Sportsman's Club (St. Albans Road)

Working Men's Club (Shirking Men's we call it!)

Balgour Club

Conservative Club

Another place at Redhill Road Arnold end - name also eludes

Sunday lunch, Basford miners welfare,,,,,,,,, Was that the one like the Variety club?? in that there was the comedian striptease and bingo routine

I wondered if you might mean that one, Den. The name eludes me too, it might be the Ex-Servicemen's Club? Arnold was always a big club town. Some people think the pubs suffered because of that. Off the the top of my head, past and present:

Ex-Servicemen's

British Legion (Victory Club

Labour Club

Liberal Club

Sportsman's Club (St. Albans Road)

Working Men's Club (Shirking Men's we call it!)

Balgour Club

Conservative Club

Another place at Redhill Road Arnold end - name also eludes

The Ex-Servicemens club rings the right bell Stu.

Bip.

The Ex-Servicemens club rings the right bell Stu.

Bip.

Who says MWs aren't stuck in the past. Only recently I attended an event at a certain MW where the catering consisted of a choice between dripping or potted meat sandwiches. !sickly!

• Upvote 1

The last one I went to was the Calverton one a year or so ago. Not the normal visit, I and a couple of teaching friends paid a surprise lunchtime visit to a youngster we had taught. The place was full of children, there was even a sweetie 'bar' in there! All the kids were gorging on their E-numbers and running around going mental!

Nice to see that a few of them are still up and running!

I used to visit Snibston Miners Welfare on occasion (It's in/was in Coalville). A really nice place to go for a beer or a party. Every Christmas the NCB would treat us apprentices to a "lunch" there - free beer! Can't beat that!

• 2 years later...

Everyone mentions the "sunday lunch" entertainment at basford hall MW, but the real creepers was Friday nights (1973-1975 ish) with John and (the very beautiful)Treasa and there live wire disco, this is where i got into Northern Soul and after John got married to (the very beautiful) Treasa he packed it in and I brought a very large chunk of his record collection. Oh happy days.

Sunday lunch, Basford miners welfare,,,,,,,,, Was that the one like the Variety club?? in that there was the comedian striptease and bingo routine

I frequented both these noble establishments, in order to expand my Knowledge of: Anatomy, Arithmetic & social interaction via the medium of humour, there was nothing like a nice pair of t**s to broaden a young chap's horizons, although Variety had the edge for humour !bravo! !bravo!

!bravo! !bravo! I re

• 6 years later...

Worksop Miners Welfare in the 60s!

On a Sunday lunchtime................

Whew my eyes were on stalks.

I had a mate there and most of his family worked in the pit or in pit related industry.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Miners welfare clubs