Miners Welfare Clubs.

Worked at Savemore on Bridge st for a time in the mid 60s,.............fell in love with a girl called Sybil who wore those bottle lensed glasses,......God she was lovely.................

I played cricket for Gedling Colliery, most pits had teams so after match drinks on a Saturday night were in these places, so been to quite a few in my time, used to be packed out and normally some entertainment on too until...... Well you know when!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

We had some good nights in the Gedling Miners Welfare on Mapperley Top in the early 1960s, danced to some great bands.. It was along walk back along the top and down Westdale Lane to Phoenix estate if we missed the 25 bus, or spent our bus fare. The last time I was in there was at my sisters Wedding Reception in September 1980. Seems a long time ago. Is it still there?

• Upvote 1

Gedling miners welfare I suppose was my incarnation from a boy to a man really, I had my first shandy there, met my wife, had some really great nights, played the old "one armed bandits" for a few quid but won little.

I used to walk my future wife home down to Valley road miners estate then back up to Mapperley tops to my home, no wonder I was fit in them days !

My wifes dad was a part time help there and occasional compere and bingo caller. Her mum did the snack bar sometimes, and kept a wary eye on me with her 14 year old daughter ! Great memories from the 60's.

My brother used to take me and my mates to Calverton miners on sunday lunchtimes sometimes, Amber Vandella comes to mind !

Again lots of good time memories stirred.

Clifton Miners Welfare Club ( The "Stute) we had Christmas Parties there as a Kid. and as I got to drinking age ( 15 ) I had many a good night there.I think i was about 20 when it closed for good . a quick edit I didnt mention that the CMW was in the meadows and not far from the pit.

Crikey ..... Basford miners was apparently nicknamed Creepers because the deputies & managers drank in there & the miners used to buy them drinks trying to get a bit of overtime.

That was what my dad told me when I asked him why it had that name.

Gedling MW is now the Mapperley Plains Social Club.

The name has changed, but not much else about the place.

Not quite true Rob. They've built a massive fitness place next to it and fenced off the footie pitch so casual fans (such as me when I was a boy) can't watch the football anymore!

Had a few Uncles and cousins lived at Calverton and worked down the Pit there,and used to enjoy going to see them at Calverton MW,.............one was a very good singer(Sinatra type songs) and often entertained the Patrons there,.........Dick Barnes.

Another Uncle used to dress up as Bernard Bresslaw (army game style) and give his rendition of 'Mad Passionate love' very funny.........Harold Langsdale.