YES KAT I can remember this really well think back a bit I was one of those big busted girls ,still am if it comes to that.It got even worse a couple of years later when my friend Lesley and I had to go to the fire station in our red cross uniforms to help with first aid training I will tell you about that one day. but one night we went in our jeans and got to go down the firemens pole no wonder I have always wanted to be a pole dancer ha ha.

yes I do remember this sidecar beefy I think it was friars he used to cone to our next door neighbours quite often we lived between the alottment gates and the shops, our house was behind Mr Glenns alotment. Often one of friars friends would ussually be lying down in the coffin usually Mac. We had some great laughs when they pulled up at traffic lights and up they would pop hands across chest.The expressions on other drivers and pedestrians who had not seen them before was fantastic.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a head master at Cavo called Joe Smith . He retired the year it became Comprehensive (72ish) and was succeeded by Micheal Hutchinson. Joe Smith (the butcher) lives just up the road from my

This is Carlton Square as I first remember it

Charley Glenn, there's a blast from the past, I remember a lot of them (all old boys too, ) Billy Hibbert, with the Port wine birthmark on his face, used to scare the life out of us kids with it too, Cyril Mann, little bloke, but he was stong as an Ox!! There used to be a Blacksmith in Carlton Square as a teenager he picked the anvil up and put it on the floor , he made the poor old Blacksmith pay him 10 Park Drive to put it back on his stone bench as he couldn't lift it himself!! Hughie Brittles, he was opposite Charlety Glenn, Bev Marriot (He would have lived just up from you) and ofcourse my Dad George Sheppard.

The Post Office on Westdale lane used to be owned by ???? Matthews early 1960's?

I worked with his son Phil, who would be in his early 60's now

(Phil is a member here)

Charley Glenn, there's a blast from the past, I remember a lot of them (all old boys too, ) Billy Hibbert, with the Port wine birthmark on his face, used to scare the life out of us kids with it too, Cyril Mann, little bloke, but he was stong as an Ox!! There used to be a Blacksmith in Carlton Square as a teenager he picked the anvil up and put it on the floor , he made the poor old Blacksmith pay him 10 Park Drive to put it back on his stone bench as he couldn't lift it himself!! Hughie Brittles, he was opposite Charlety Glenn, Bev Marriot (He would have lived just up from you) and ofcourse my Dad George Sheppard.

Yes Beeffy I remember all of them. Bev lived 4doors up from us Mr Brittle and Mr Glenn a bit further up on the other side of the rd up untill my mum left there when she went into braybook house old peoples home until she died 2003 they would put fresh veg and fruit over the fence for her and emily who lived next door to us. My dad used to have alotments in Netherfield but not when we were on Cavendish Rd there were none available when he applied for one and when one became available he was too ill to take it on but did grow a lot of floweres in our front garden roses his favorate crysamthamums and my favorate in the summer were livingston daisies he also liked marigolds he did win a few prizes with his crysanths and I now that bev had some of his tubers when he could not manage them any more.As did a couple of the other guys on the allottments . you may remember my dad walking up and down cavo he was only 4ft 8 inches and as broad as he was long, always wore a flat cap and usually a brown zip up jacket but if it was warm just his shirt and a sleevless jumper they used to call him little wemmy

Billy Hibbert was a scary to look at as a child but a nice guy Iremember asking my mum about him the first time i saw him she explained what it was and that it was not something you could catch so dont worry and dont be rude and stare or call him names when we got to know him you just forgot it was there.

You're right there , about Billy , anybody with a difference for that matter, our parents explained it to us and that was that , no name calling , no staring or owt , it just wasn't 'done' not like nowadays!!

• 1 year later...

Hi as any one out there got any more photos of old Carlton i was born on Station road in an old cottage

one of 4 that is were the new houses are now.

My family arrived in Carlton about 1880 my great Grandfather was one of the first Firemen there is an

old photo some were of all the Firemen outside the old Firestation.

Be nice to see it again i have been looking for years for old photos of Carlton.

I did some work back in 1974 in the old Gravyard i felled some trees and filled in a grave that had cave-in

there was one gravestone that i can remember very well it was a man from Carlton that had fell at Gettysburg in the American civil war is there any one out there that knows any thing about him.

John

Hi John , from another Carltonian . I have a booklet in my posession called "Turning Back The Pages in Old Carlton" It's compiled by Enid Doona and Paul Tovell, and is a copyright of Nottinghamshire County Council

Loads of good pictures and brief write ups in there.

The ISBN 978-0-902751-57-6

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

there is another good boolet about carlton still in print i think its called old carlton and there is quite a big write up about the beginings of carlton fire station and the libarynext to it i have a copy of it with all my other local history books i will look it out and let you know what its called and who by my mum is pictured in the libary.

Probably the same one I've named above Babs , that too has a good write up on the library and fire station.

might be beefy carnt lay my hands on it at the moment but got a light green cover one of the pictures inside the libary is of a lady reading a news paper we belive this was our mum she was always in there . as she was a great reader. but will find it when not looking for it.

City Of Nottingham Council Nottingham, United Kingdom

Viewed this topic via www.google.co.uk — old Pictures of Carlton Hill Carlton Nottingham

at 21 Dec 13:09

THATS THE PICTURE BEEFY SURE ITS MY MUM IF NOT SOMEONE VERY LIKE HER AND SHE ALWAYS STOOD TO READ HER PAPERS LIKE THAT

REMEMBER THE LIBRAIRIAN TOO THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN AROUND THE TIME I LEFT SCHOOL AND WOULD GO AFTER SCHOOL TO PICK UP OR TAKE BOOKS BACK AS OUR SCHOOL WAS JUST OPPOSIT THE LIBARY SOMETIMES HAD TO CART A LOAD OF BOOKS AROUND SCHOOL WITH ME ALL DAY NO LOCKERS IN THOSE DAYS. ONLY A SMALL SPACE IN YOUR DESK IN YOUR OWN CLASS ROOM BUT ANY THING OF VALUE YOU HAD TO CARRY WITH YOU AS YOU WHENT FROM ONE CLASS TO THE OTHER OR IT WOULD GET NICK BY PEOPLE FROM OTHER CLASSES LOOKING IN YOUR DESK , SO NO PRIVACY EITHER.

• 1 month later...

I went to St Pauls '55 to '60 Mr Richards Headmaster Miss Eaton, Miss Johnson and Mrs Burley were three of the teachers I recall, Mrs Burley lived on Cavendish Road between Buxton and Cromford Avenues. Mrs Burleys husband Ivan was transport manager at Trent Concrete I believe.

Rex Robinsons was called Genders when me mam bought me my first bike.

There was Knightons double fronted shop next to the Windsor who sold wallpapers and pots and pans.

Hannams was on the corner of Gladstone Street and Carlton Hill and could have been the inspiration for the 2 ronnies fork handles sketch, you could even buy replacement suitcase handles there.

The paper shop next to St Pauls belonged to Budds at the time I was at St Pauls.

The playing field for the school was behind the Church and the football pitch must have sloped about 5 degrees from one side to the other.

I was at St Pauls from '66 to '72.

Mrs Burley retired in around '69. She had one of those unique smells that I'll take with me to the grave. Not a horrible smell at all. It was more Flowery and sweet. When you had a cuddle, (Which was one of those things you didn't really need in those days (Not like nowadays)) You got this forever lasting 'Nice Smell'

On her retirement I got my Mum to cut me some of my Dads roses for me to give as a gift for her. It wasn't till the following year that my Mum found out that it was actually just my idea of being kind, and not another persons idea !!!

• Upvote 1

And yes Budds had the Newsagents next door.

Although I didn't frequent it ,as I approached the school from the Foxhill Road direction !

• Upvote 1

Budds was the nearest peashooter stockist!

There used to be a skittle alley at the back of the Windsor and the local pigeon club used to meet there on a Friday night, George Browns dad Tom used to collect the baskets of pigeons and take them to Victoria railway station in his van to join the what seemed like thousands of other pigeons on their way to start their long flights home.

I went with him once to take the Carlton clubs birds to Harrogate to be liberated, bet the pigeons got home first.

Used to see one chap who lived up Coningswath Road walking down to the Windsor with his wooden box with the recorder in to check whether his birds had got back first.

I think the pigeon club later moved to next to the Blacks Head and the pigeons went via road in a purpose built artic trailer which had liberation doors all down the side.

We sometimes had our bottle of pop and packet of crisps in the back yard of the Blacks Head but usually it was The Bruno which was my dads local.

I have a vague reccolection of "Budds" having a 'break in' . Must have been around '69 , old man Budd had the biggest black eye I'd ever seen. Mrs Budd always had a fag hanging out the corner of her mouth and was always coughing her guts up all the time !

Do you remember the Donkey in the field at the back of 'The Windsor' ?

• 2 years later...

I remember Budds newsagents becuase I married Tony their youngest son, Dorothy Budd did always have a fag hanging out of her mouth as well as coughing her head off,her husband 'Bert was great ,nothing was too much for him, he had the black eye because he got beaten up when he discovered someone robbing the shop one night. Tony and I got married at St Pauls church and had the reception across the road at the Windsor pub