Can anyone remember a row of 4 old houses which stood back from the road,opposite the catholic club?i was born in the house next to the orchard and left when I got married in 72,I have not been able to find a picture of the houses,They were later turned into a nursing home,but later demolished and replaced by flats.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a head master at Cavo called Joe Smith . He retired the year it became Comprehensive (72ish) and was succeeded by Micheal Hutchinson. Joe Smith (the butcher) lives just up the road from my

This is Carlton Square as I first remember it

Can anyone remember a row of 4 old houses which stood back from the road,opposite the catholic club?i was born in the house next to the orchard and left when I got married in 72,I have not been able to find a picture of the houses,They were later turned into a nursing home,but later demolished and replaced by flats.

if I remember rightly my ex brother in laws grandma lived in one of those little houses (come cottages) I'll ask him next time I speak to him. Must be 45+ years ago.

Where exactly were these old houses ? Can you give an idea of the location? Where is / was the Catholic Club?

I remember the row of houses they stood high and back from the main road i believe they stretched from the Nags head pub up to the orchard, I remember a mrs Tunnercliffe who lived there. Further up pass the orchard was another row of houses opposite Kirks beeroff which had steps leading up to them I was there when a little lad ran from the steps and was run over and sadly killed, I believe was the son of a Mrs. whittiker. it must have been about 1950.

In 1969 we moved from Sneinton and went to live on Southcliffe Road, Carlton, I was thirteen and got my first paid employment as a paperboy working for the Budds. Nice people, who, if my memory is correct lived at 3 Southlea Road. I also did the occasional meat delivery on a Saturday morning for the butcher at the shop near to Rex Robinsons (do not recall the butchers name) Rode a traditional butchers bike with the basket on the front, just like Granville's on Open All Hours.

Where exactly were these old houses ? Can you give an idea of the location? Where is / was the Catholic Club?

Hi Cliff Ton,the houses were opposite the catholic church,and were at the side of the nags head pub,chesterfield street runs alongside the pub.i think the catholic club could now be a gym but not sure about this.The old houses stood back from the road with steps and a path leading up to them,I think they could have been called Carlton Villas but not certain about this,ours was number 114 ,there were 4houses.

I remember the row of houses they stood high and back from the main road i believe they stretched from the Nags head pub up to the orchard, I remember a mrs Tunnercliffe who lived there. Further up pass the orchard was another row of houses opposite Kirks beeroff which had steps leading up to them I was there when a little lad ran from the steps and was run over and sadly killed, I believe was the son of a Mrs. whittiker. it must have been about 1950.

karlton,mrs tunnecliffe was my grandma,she lived next door but one to us with her husband Fred and daughter(my auntie)Jean.My grannies sister lil page lived in kirks buildings in a lovely little cottage.I can't remember the other houses up steps unless they are newish ones that are still there?

Cliff Ton,thanks for the map,Don't know when main street became Carlton hill ,I have an identity card that gives my address as main street which has always puzzled me as I only remember it being Carlton hill .

Crankpig 85#

thanks for that, I lived in Kirks buildings but I don't recall lil page it was such a lon time ago I lived there from 1941 to about 1952 A few names come to mind Daykin, Ludlow, Night, Kings, forman, Newton lived next door Thorley the other side.

Dunlevy owned our cottage.

karlton,87#

I can remember my gran mentioning a Sid daykin, Our houses were owned by mr Harrod,I think they were funeral directors and lived up mount pleasant near bottom of Carlton hill,their son Gerald took over the business,he lived on station road.Gerald died about 2years ago,the business was taken over by lymms who have a place on church street.I do wish I had a pic of my birthplace,maybe someone will come up with one.

May be a good time to have another look at this image of a bus outing of Carlton grannies probably late 40s / early 50s that includes some of the names mentioned above .

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/9017666279_78d9072270_b.jpg

Anybody remember the Brooks family. George (Senior) was, I think, secretary of the local pigeon racing club. His mate owned "Cologne" the pigeon who won the Dicken Medal. His wife was Mary, and they had 3 sons, Ken, Allan and George; and a daughter, Betty. They used to live almost opposite North's timber yard, above Brooks Cottages, which I believe one of the earlier family built.

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap , think the scariest looking is the lady standing far left......and she was my Aunty Ethel !!

( she was actually a great-aunt).

Funny , only saw her a handful of times but I still remember the disappointment the only time she gave me anything was when she reached into her purse and gave me threepence !

• 3 weeks later...

May be a good time to have another look at this image of a bus outing of Carlton grannies probably late 40s / early 50s that includes some of the names mentioned above .

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/9017666279_78d9072270_b.jpg

Front row left between the two ladies with glasses could be Annie daykin of kirks bldgs. husband was Harry and daughter Reenie. and a son Harry.

• Upvote 1

AfferGorrit #91

I remember some of the Brooks family of Brookwood Crescent Tont, Chuck, and Kieth. I believe they were builders.

The trouble with the Brooks's was there were so many of them. My grandad, George was a builder, and I believe there was a connection to other Brooks's who were also builders - perhaps those from Brookwood Crescent.

My Aunt Betty had 2 kids, the son having been married and living down south for many years - so there must be another Betty Brooks somewhere in the mix!

I tried to do a family tree once. My Mum's side were relatively (no pun intended!) easy, but the Brooks's were bloody awful! There seemed to have been a whole community of them living at the top end of Carlton Hill and It was very difficult to pin down who was related to whom.

I must try again when I have a couple of years to spare!

AfferGorrit. #98

This maybe helpful.

My husbands mother Betty Brooks married John Campbell,they had Ken,Ron,Mavis,Melvin,Colin,Cynthia,and a sister who's name I can't recall,also a daughter who died as a baby I think her name was Julia.So quite a big family.Sadly they have all died now.I can remember my husband telling me that his father(mr Campbell)came from Liverpool ,but sadly he died when my husband was 11 years old.

• 4 months later...

Charley Glenn, there's a blast from the past, I remember a lot of them (all old boys too, ) Billy Hibbert, with the Port wine birthmark on his face, used to scare the life out of us kids with it too, Cyril Mann, little bloke, but he was stong as an Ox!! There used to be a Blacksmith in Carlton Square as a teenager he picked the anvil up and put it on the floor , he made the poor old Blacksmith pay him 10 Park Drive to put it back on his stone bench as he couldn't lift it himself!! Hughie Brittles, he was opposite Charlety Glenn, Bev Marriot (He would have lived just up from you) and ofcourse my Dad George Sheppard.

I think Billy Hibbert is my Dad's (96 years old) Uncle Bill. Also, I think my great-grandfather Joseph Hibbert, a coalminer, was living with his wife Mary Perry, next door to her father Joseph Perry in Kirks Buildings in 1881. A few generations of Hibberts lived in this part of Carlton, but not me. I'd be pleased if anybody could shed any light on our history and my Dad still has a few interesting stories to tell about his childhood there.