When I very first moved to Notts, I lived in digs at the bottom of Carlton Hill - on the left just before the traffic lights.

The digs were upstairs and downsatirs was a cafe run by a blonde-haired lady. Shre fed us regularly and well on good grub!

Can anyone remember the cafe and what it was called?

can anyone remember other deatils about the other shops - I htink there was a bicycle shop!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a head master at Cavo called Joe Smith . He retired the year it became Comprehensive (72ish) and was succeeded by Micheal Hutchinson. Joe Smith (the butcher) lives just up the road from my

This is Carlton Square as I first remember it

The bike shop was Rex Robinsons, Next door was a bakery on the other side was the 'Windsor Castle' pub, Going back up the hill was a Habidasherie (on the other side of the old Foxhill road exit onto Carlton Hill) run by a dippy woman who always sported a 'Cupids Bow' on her top lip . My mum nicknamed her "Lizzy Drippin" cos every time mum sent us in there for bits and bobs (My mum was a very good seamstress) she never had it ,so it was a journey 'down town' Next door up from her was an off licence and a butchers and then it was the school buildings (Scout hut upstairs) going down from the pub there was a news agents on the bottom corner, but I can't remember a cafe at all sorry.

Beefsteak - is there anything you don't know!

It must have been the bakery, becasue it was next door to the bike shop! maybe it became a cafe or turned into a bakery. I think it would have been in autumn 69 when I was there. Tea was always somehting with loads of mashed potato and gravy! Checked plastic tablecloths and a young girl, daughter of the landlady who was usually in one of the lads rooms upstairs - i was never one of the lucky ones!

I remember the pub, now that you mention it and the endless bus-ride to and from town!

I wish I'd know Lizzy drippin' - sounds like my kind of lady!

Yes I think the bakery may have had seats in there as well , on the other side of the road (more towards the 'square') was a flower shop and where the petrol station is now was 'Reeneys' dry cleaners. Just around the corner on Station road was a blacksmiths (Just before my time) I remember the derelict building being there though. Then on Carlton Square itself there was the 'Post office' and the chemists

Sorry I didn't go else where other than the Poacher and the Theatre so I didn't get to speak to any one Re Stu,

A proper 'Greasy spoon' it was too (Used to do a real generous portion of chips to take away) next door to the barbers, then another 'offie' run by an old lady who didn't understand decimal currency, we used to go in and buy a 1p box of matches with a 2p coin and she gave us change for 10p every time (We were rotten bast*rds) then a couple of houses then Gent's butchers (Their son ,Nick was a playmate of mine , he is also known to Mick2me as Murdock off of the C.B.) opposite side of the road was 'Buntys' sweet shop ,great on a boring Sunday afternoon ,because she was open and mum or dad used to give us enough to buy 2 oz of 'tuffys' next door back towards carlton square was a ladies hairdresser, then,the other side of Primrose street was a petrol station which later became a car showroom Further back towards 'the square' was A road haulage firm called Steads (Now the site of Steads close) next door to that was 'Tarrys' newsagents where we got our papers from (Run buy a bloke called Pete Spurr)

There used to be a Tarrys newsagent on Kirkwhite st near Bridgeway hall. This would have been demolished around 70/71. I wonder if this is connected to Tarrys in Carlton. Roger Tarry lived there with his older sister Jane and a younger brother.

Pete Spurr (who was running it in the late 50s early 60s )was the owner, after some one named Tarry so it could be the same person

• 7 months later...
The bike shop was Rex Robinsons, Next door was a bakery on the other side was the 'Windsor Castle' pub, Going back up the hill was a Habidasherie (on the other side of the old Foxhill road exit onto Carlton Hill) run by a dippy woman who always sported a 'Cupids Bow' on her top lip . My mum nicknamed her "Lizzy Drippin" cos every time mum sent us in there for bits and bobs (My mum was a very good seamstress) she never had it ,so it was a journey 'down town' Next door up from her was an off licence and a butchers and then it was the school buildings (Scout hut upstairs) going down from the pub there was a news agents on the bottom corner, but I can't remember a cafe at all sorry.

As you kow Carlton so well Beefsteak - is this where you grew up? I lived off Carlton Hill [second ave - on the hill part] from 1976- 1984. So which secondary school did you go to? Was it posh Carlton le willows or was it Frank Wheldon? Mine was Frank Wheldon which I have to add is worse now than it was when I was there [pretty dire even then].

I went to Frankies between 72 and 77

Born and bred on Cavendish Road 1961-1995

Didnt Frank Weldons get burned down?

When Windsor Castle caugth Fire, I heard about it and went down to Carlton Square to see what the damage was?

I went to Frankies between 72 and 77

Born and bred on Cavendish Road 1961-1995

You're older than me - I did't leave until 1984. What house were you in ? I was in wollaton. How did you rate the school? Was Mr Arram there when you were - the mad history teacher?

As you looked over the forum I lived right on the brow of one of those hills across [second ave] and what hills they are in carlton....We nearly bought a house on Cavendish road about 13 years ago. It was right next to a small factory unit [called rolls I believe] the house was almost at turning point of school road. In the end we decided not to as at the back was some sort of kids home!!!

What end did you live at?and do you have any younger siblings?

I lived at the bottom end near the police station. My younger brother was there from about 78 - 84 . I was in Newstead to start with and then in Clumber (Which had just opened) for my last year.) Arram was there but I never had him fortunately!!!

It burnt down in about 99 I was over here then so it wasn't me !!)

I lived at the bottom end near the police station. My younger brother was there from about 78 - 84 . I was in Newstead to start with and then in Clumber (Which had just opened) for my last year.) Arram was there but I never had him fortunately!!!

It burnt down in about 99 I was over here then so it wasn't me !!)

I wonder if I can remember your younger brother? What was his name? I remember a Richard France who lived down that end of Cavendish road [opposite the cemetry] He was in my best mates brothers year possibly left 1981?

Mr Arram was an absolute nutter for a history teacher - so was Mr. Stray - he used to flick us with a elastic band. Do you remember the Markilles[french teachers]? I really hated that school and couldn't wait to leave. Best thing that was to happen was for it to burn down.... You should see the league tables [absolute crap] I think it got worse when they shut Manvers down and ended up with the lot from there.

Don't know what most people on this site think but state schools i Notts are pants [hence we have paid crippling school fees in the private sector] unless you live in west bridgeford...

Lol no more school fees come Sept. husbands company are paying them over there what a relief!!!

By the way which junior school did you go to? I went to Carlton central from year5...

Hi all. I was born in 1952 at the top end of cavendish road past the cavo pub on the opposite side of the road. I went to westdale lane infants and junior school and cavo school as it was then! I left there late 1967. I lived on cavendish road till 1973,then moved to netherfield,where i still live today. My hubby was born on gladstone street,off foxhill road in 1946. He was the youngest of 4 lads. He went to st pauls school and later chandos street boys school in netherfield.

I went to St Pauls (Now Tescos) too.

Richards sister, Jane, was a year or two younger than me and lived at the top of Worth Street about 20 doors up from me. I lived by the police station .

My brother was born in 67 so that may help you work out his times there better than I can. His name is Chris.

As for the Markillies. He stank (as did his office ) of that stinky pipe tobacco and she was an ignorant pig.

I never suffered the ignominity of being taught by Aram or Stray but I did have Mason and he was a Tw*t (You can think that says twit if you like) I hated him after he once held me upside down in class so everything fell out of my pockets (Money sweets etc ) which were quickly hoovered up by so called class 'mates' I also lost a shoe which was only returned (After being fetched off the dining hall roof) at the end of the day. Wan**r!!. I got my own back in '86 when I saw him in the "Inn For A Penny" I was having a pint with 'Our Kid' not long after I had had my head shaved for charity, He started to speak to Chris (Whom he had also taught) and then ,suddenly realised who this 6 foot 2 inch bald monster was towering over him and snarling, and he promptly drank his drink sharpish and left with his tail between his legs. My brother told me later that he could see the colour drain from his cheeks as he started to shake.

My favourite teacher was Terry Hobson (Before your time) who taught Biology and integrated science, he could always make a lesson interesting, my worst would be Banford (Head of Rufford house) To give you a clue as to how bad he was , he taught my sister (Who was a real swat) 'O' level French and she failed (Only one person in her year, who had been taught by him, passed and they were part French anyway, and only got a D) I was taught German in mysecond year , by him, and learnt nothing , so little in fact that I dropped it completely. I then had the misfortune of him teaching me 'C.S.E.' French for my last two years and I managed a 5 (You get that for putting your name at the top of the paper)

On the whole I don't think it was a bad school (Then again I never had another to compare it to) I came out reading writing and with an 'O' level in Maths, Physics and Geography.

I too was born in 1967 - I can't remember boys very well [after all it was 20 odd years ago] so what is Chris's surname? I too didn't like Mr Mason - he really fancied himself - not helped by some silly girls in my year fancying him, in fact one girl was nannying for him after school. I had Mr Banford as my french teacher when I was doing o level french and yes he was so bad most of us got put back into cses - and funnily enough the one girl who did do well was half spanish [pretty similar language]. I went on a french exchange with him [not that we bothered learning much french during our time there] We had a nickname for him which was cobhead as he had freckles on his nut just like a seeded roll!!! Yes the Markilles were terrible teachers!!! Did you know that Mr Arram owns some shopping cetre at Matlock? God knows how he afforded that. In our history lesson [ if you could call it that] he used to point out the window with a golf club in his hand and say that the nuclear bomb was going to come across the outside grass area and be quite sincere about it.

For 2 whole years all that we did was take dictation at high speed about the first world war. In our o level exam only a couple of people passed the rest were ungraded. I was mad as before we had him I had really enjoyed history lessons but we had't studied for any of the questios on the exam. I would have a few choice words for him if I ever met him... along with a few others. I scraped 5 o levels when I had been taking 8 - so yes it was a crap school.My most hated teachers were the p e ones [after your time] all they did was stand and chat and bawl at us.... and 2 of them were smokers!!!!! How fit were they???? I too had german with george Michaels sister [before we knew it] funnily enough she was always keen to know what pop groups we liked - obviously not Wham!!! She got found out after I left!!! As I don't live in Carlto anymore

I wonder what the new building is like?? I have heard that the ski slope is no more...

I think the ski slope went years ago.

My P.E. teachers that I can remember

Ameroso

Doig (Who pi55ed some boys off once so much so that they pushed his car into the swimming pool)

Bailey

Lucas

Lynham

I can't remember the names of any of the women except Miss Eckersley who was head of Clumber when I was there , used to be a P.E. teacher but got Arthritis bad and retrained .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi beefy. Sorry not been on for a while. We are in the process of trying to sell the house so have been busy trying to have a clear out! Only just seen your message about going in the inn for a penny in 1986. We used to go in there at the same time. Can you remember tony and jean who were managers at the time? tony had a very distinctive laugh. They used to have car shows outside the front of the pub and in the car park at the back in the summer months. We had a mki capri at the time! They had a lot of american cars there as well as another friend of ours (neville) owned redhill garage where he sold american cars. Chrissy. x

I think I can picture you , you are bound to remember me . I had my head shaved with Tony for the Shippo's Christmas Charity (I had mine done during a lock in after time!!! and raised nearly as much money from the few people "Locked in" than Tony had from weeks of sponsorship!!)

I also compered Tony's haircut 50p a snip to all comers.!!

I forgot to get some pictures of the school on my recent visit , I will try again next time

• 4 weeks later...

am surprised that none of you mentioned Vickerstaffs ! The faggot shop. This might have been the bakery/cafe mentioned here,,,, but I thought it was a butchers. That was my introduction to faggots,,,, & i've never had better since.

Any of you recall someone taking a bear into the Windsor Castle - be about '67/68.

Talking of Carlton Hill & surrounding areas,,,,,,

does anyone know of a pair of sisters that used to live down Station Road - Val & Jackie - about 1965/6 ?

They were on the left (going towards Netherfield) just past a newsagents & just before the cinema (on the right). Almost opposite Marhill Road I think !

One of them married my best mate - who I have just learned has died,,,, & I can't contact anyone about it.