am surprised that none of you mentioned Vickerstaffs ! The faggot shop. This might have been the bakery/café mentioned here,,,, but I thought it was a butchers. That was my introduction to faggots,,,, & i've never had better since.

Any of you recall someone taking a bear into the Windsor Castle - be about '67/68.

As mentioned in our P.Ms I vaguely remember the faggot place but I couldn't have named it.

As for Bears , "The Earl of Chesterfield" just up Carlton Hill a bit from the "Windsor" was nicknamed the 'Bruno' pronounced 'bru know' not ' brew no ' after a fellow who used to stay there on his way to Goose Fair with his dancing bear. It used to be tethered up outside over night . (Long long before my time!! or even BIPS)

At the Elwes arms ( Top of Greenhill rise) in the early 70's a bear had escaped from a house nearby (Trickets family of scrap yard fame) and they were away somewhere and couldn't be contacted (Allegedly) it was seen wandering around outside the pub and the landlord locked everyone in (There's a first!!) So the police were called who duly called in the Army who sent a marksman from the local T.A. to dispatch said miscreant with a .303 to the head (He was my mates dad a Sgt Baines)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a head master at Cavo called Joe Smith . He retired the year it became Comprehensive (72ish) and was succeeded by Micheal Hutchinson. Joe Smith (the butcher) lives just up the road from my

This is Carlton Square as I first remember it

Yep - that was my pet bear - called Humbug. Although I thought it was Pownalls' scrap merchant,,,, but you are probably right.

I got Humbug from the Newmarket pub on Parliament Street. Apparently the pet shop on Trinity Walk had sold them,,,, but they had sold out by the time that I got there. They told me about the one at the Newmarket, so I went round just to see it - and ended up buying it.

As it was mid day, I had to take it back to work with me (we were doing up some houses on Burgess Street [Porchester Road]}. The kids there thought it was great,,,,,,, but eventually I got the sack !

My new wife wasn’t too impressed either !

As I say, I used to take him all over the place - the Windsor just being one of them

I had moved from Nottingham by the time of the story - but my Parents sent me the Post, with the story in it.

I also read that the neighbours were upset that the bear had been killed, as they knew it to be friendly.

What a sad sad end to a friendly & tame pet.

You're probably right about it being Pownalls I was just guessing and they were the first scrap people who came to mind

Found this today it's the shops above the bakery thats the old route af Foxhill road in front of you Bazzer

oldcarltonstuff001.jpg

Wow - thanks BS,

do you know I can't remember those shops at all !

Is that Foxhill Road with the white car parked (with a No Through Road sign) ?

If it is then Vickerstaffs is just out of shot to the right,,,, with the bike shop etc. If I remember right, they were set back a bit.

Thanks for that - i'll keep a copy. Just saved the images from Bygones that you posted on another thread. Incidentally, I have a few old Bygones here if I can find 'em. I'll have a look through them to see if there is anything that this forum might be interested in - tho' I assume anything I come across will already be known by this geat & knowledgeable bunch. I wish i'd found it sooner !

Well done to you all.

BAZ

Thats correct , the roads course was altered when we had that proper white Christmas (About 1971) and that piece was left as a dead end .

Rex Robinsons was the cycle shop you refer to. The shop on the corner was the Habidasherie, Hanams hard ware store was in that block too.

There was a head master at Cavo called Joe Smith . He retired the year it became Comprehensive (72ish) and was succeeded by Micheal Hutchinson.

Joe Smith (the butcher) lives just up the road from my mum. (I've got a photo of him too but you wouldn't recognise him, I barely do , and it's only 15/ 20 years since I last saw him.!!!!!!!)

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

I was at Cavo school left in 1958 there was at the time a headmaster called Mr Smith, he also used to be the headmaster at the infants school which was In Mapperley, think the road was called, Plains Road.

It is so long since I have been back to Nottingham that reading all the past letters on the forum has resurrected a lot of memories

• 1 year later...

HI THERE THE CAFE YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT WOULD NOT BE TRUDIES WOULD IT. THIS WAS ON CARLTON HILL NEAR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH THIS USED TO BE A GREAT MEETING PLACE IN THE SIXTIES FOR THE BIKERS VERY SMALL WITH A JUKE BOXTRUDY USED TO SPEND ALL HER TIME IN THE BACK ONLY COMMING OUT TO SEE IF ANYONE WANTED A DRINK YOU COULD SIT IN THERE ALL NIGHT WITH ONE DRINK AND SHE WOULD NEVER BOTHER YOU SOME OF THE PEOPLE I REMEMBER ARE MICK HEALEY DEAD LOSS DISCO FAME LES PORTER JOE SHAW VIC WOOLEY AND MANY MORE I CARNT REMEMBER THE NAMES OF. I AM STILL IN TOUCH WITH MICK HE DID THE MUSIC FOR A REUNION AT THE ROSE AND CROWN FOR ME AT THE END OF LAST YEAR. IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE ANY OF THE OTHER BIKERS AGAIN. IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED THERE WILL BE ANOTHER BIKERS REUNION AT THE WHITE HART LENTON ON JUNE 26TH 2010 FOR MORE INFO LOOK OUT FOR MORE POSTS SOON

BARBARA PIGGOTT NEE CLENENTS

Found this today it's the shops above the bakery thats the old route af Foxhill road in front of you Bazzer

oldcarltonstuff001.jpg

• Upvote 1

THE TWO SHOPS ON THE CORNER WERE THE CARLTON DETACHMENT OFF THE REDCROSS BEFORE THEY WERE PULLD DOWN I WAS A MEMBER FROM 1963 TO 1972 MRS HARISON LATER CLEMENTS NO RELATION WAS COMMANDANT NURSE BARNETTE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE NURSING TRAINING ANYONE A MEMBER AT THAT TIME REMEMBER ME AND MY MATE LESLIE DENNOON FROM THEM DAYS.

BARBARA PIGGOTT NEE CLEMENTS

Welcome Barbara, look forward to your Carlton memories.

Hi Barbara its Kat thanks for telling me about this place i remember the shops really well Taylors the sweet shop Vickerstaffs the cake shop there was a bike shop and a butchers as well, further up there was Thompsons the beer off and general store and across the road there was a newsagent called Hills i also seem to remember a very old lady who used to own a chip shop and she used to cook them in a big black cauldren those chips tasted so good thumbsup

I was very young when she had the chippy, and of course she became a 'Witch' to us , with her big cauldron.!!!

The shop on the other side of the road was an "Offie" later owned by the Purdy family who also had the Newsagents at the junction of Cavendish road and Carlton Hill, with "Budds" Newsagents immediately after St Pauls School . Rex Robinsons was the bike shop (He actually had a son named Robert) I believe he relocated to a little way down Burton Road.

Welcome Barbara, look forward to your Carlton memories.

Hiya mick

you will find i have got lots of memories from all round Nottingham have got a very good memory for people and places. But as a newbie I am still ploughing through the site and busy telling other people we know about this great site hence the message from Kat who was an old school friend from Carlton Girls School who I met again last year for the first time in over 40years and we now see each other most weeks. We should start a topic up on this school Kat and see who else pops up out of the old woodwork.

Bye the way I know that Kat is trying hard to find out any info on the history of KIRKS BUILDINGS Carlton H ill were her grandmother lived anybody out there got anything that could help her she would be very greatful as she keeps hiting brickwalls at the moment

There used to be a cafe on station road just after the post office, opposite the telecom building at that time, im talking late 70s and 80s.

Run by ERNIIE KNOWLS AND HIS WIFE. Ernie was a master baker Made me my wedding cake with just 4 weeks notice good job it was a cristmas wedding as he was already making his christmas cakes and was able to use two of these and it really was a butiful cake. We used the bottom tier for our first sons 1st birthday 5 years later it was still mouth waterink cake even after being kept in clingfilm baco foil and kept in a tin for five years. Ernie always told me he would make me my wedding cake when I got married. But I was going out with his younger son trevor at the time but thats another story. no he was not a rocker.

A proper 'Greasy spoon' it was too (Used to do a real generous portion of chips to take away) next door to the barbers, then another 'offie' run by an old lady who didn't understand decimal currency, we used to go in and buy a 1p box of matches with a 2p coin and she gave us change for 10p every time (We were rotten bast*rds) then a couple of houses then Gent's butchers (Their son ,Nick was a playmate of mine , he is also known to Mick2me as Murdock off of the C.B.) opposite side of the road was 'Buntys' sweet shop ,great on a boring Sunday afternoon ,because she was open and mum or dad used to give us enough to buy 2 oz of 'tuffys' next door back towards carlton square was a ladies hairdresser, then,the other side of Primrose street was a petrol station which later became a car showroom Further back towards 'the square' was A road haulage firm called Steads (Now the site of Steads close) next door to that was 'Tarrys' newsagents where we got our papers from (Run buy a bloke called Pete Spurr)

MET UP WITH BUNTIES SON STEPHEN JUST LAST WEEK WAS TAKLING ABOUT THE SHOP HE HAD A TWIN BROTHER PETE . WHO WAS A ROCKER AND I KNEW HIM BETTER THAN STEVE BUT THEY BOTH USED TO HELP IN THE SHOP. I USED TO GO IN THERE EVERY DAY ON MY WAY TO SCHOOL CARLTON GIRLS JUST OPPOSIT THE FIRE STATION ON STATION RD. ALWAYS BROUGHT A TUBE OF SMARTIES. I COULD PUT THESE IN MY BLOUSE POCKET AND SNEAK THEM OUT WHEN I WAS HUNGRY OR BORED.

ONCE GOT 500 LINES FROM THE HEAD MISTRESS MISS JONES ,I MUST NOT RIDE ON MOTORBIKES IN MY SCHOOL UNIFORM. THIS WAS AFTER SHE HAD SEEN ME GETTING ONTO MY BROTHERS FRIENDS MOTORBIKE THE NIGHT BEFORE WHEN HE GAVE ME LIFT UP HOME TO CAVENDISH RD WE LIVED ABOUT HALF WAY UP NEAR THE POST OFFICE BEFORE CONNINGWORTH RD. THIS OFCOURSE WAS BEFORE THE LAW MAKING IT COMPUSARY TO WEAR HELMETS.

Barbara can you remember how the firemen used to watch us girls play netball in the bottom playground? because we had to do PE in our navy knickers and white blouses they all used to come out and have a good look and some of the girls were well made up topo as well lol !rotfl!

Righty oh Babs, I lived on Cavendish road for 30 odd years but I'm quite a bit younger than you. (nearer the bottom than you) I knew the Richardsons who lived up your way by the way but they would have been a lot younger than you too, sorry!!

But, here's the rub, I have a memory of (When my dad had his allotment up your way) of a bloke with a motorcycle and side car up near you , the side car consisting of a coffin !!! I may be wrong but I think his sirname was Freeman.