OK, if you've got a few minutes to spare - can you tell me what shops and stuff were in the Vicki way back in the 70s.

I think it beagan in about '70 - I remember the footings looking about 50 feet deep!

I also remember the flats and for some reason I have a memory of them being closed after someone was attacked in one of those long corridors - but I'm sure that must be a false memory

I remember that heat came from a big incinerator in West Bridgford but a) wasn't very good b) was very expensive c) produced no end of pollution

I remember that if I walked in off the Milton Steet/lower Parliament Steet entrance Cecil Gees was on the right and if I walked in off the entrance up on mansfield road Habitat was on the left, but all my other memories have gone! Getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Also there was a pub at the back - on Glasshouse street? - Huntingdon Street? - where (in '82) I exchanged clothes with a young lady one saturday afternoon and borrowed two oranges from the bar-top to improve my shape. (we had all had a couple of beers) It all went very well and we were having a great laugh when I happened to notice that one of the other punters was my new boss from the EMEB sitting with his jaw on the floor in total disbelief. (he'd only ever seen me in my pinstripe three-piece before) Well, what could I do, except flash my oranges at him. This may be one of the reasons why I never did very well at the EMEB. Does anyone remeber the name of the pub in question?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the front entrance says INTU, does the side exit say OUTOF?

An interesting article in the Nottingham Post today shows photos of the Victoria Centre construction. http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Nottingham-s-Victoria-Centre-years-pictures/pictures-25712

In related news lets hope the latest plans for Broadmarsh Shopping Center go ahead

That pub on Glasshouse Street was The White Hart, Charlie. It became known as 'Owd Boots' for a few years but now has it's former name again I think. There was also a pub inside the Vic Centre near that same side entrance. Can't remember the name but 'The Princess' seems to ring a bell for some reason.

Other places in the centre were (and are) Jessops and Boots of course. At the Parliament Street entrance on the right as you walked in was The Milton's Head pub which has been discussed elsewhere on here.

the heating for the victoria center and most of st anns were heated from the incineratot on london road which burnt most of the waste from nottingham and surrounding areas , it was run by notts county council untill it was taken over by wastenotts . my husband was in the weighbridge for about 15 years untill he retired

The District Heating System.

This was an horendous system. The heat use was metered by some form of vial of liquid evaporating.

Old age pensioners who could not afford to run it would use electric fires, which also evaporated the liquid. So they would still be charged.

I remember that if I walked in off the Milton Steet/lower Parliament Steet entrance Cecil Gees was on the right and if I walked in off the entrance up on mansfield road Habitat was on the left, ...

I think there was also a "Mothercare" in that general vicinity - I have no idea how, or why, I know that!

There was a Burtons Mens wear on the upper level, Mothercare, W H Smith, Pork Farms shop, Samuels Jewellers, Fox's Music - just some that come to mind.

The District Heating system is still in use - it feeds the Viccy Centre and the Nottm Trent. If you go into the Red car park there is a door into the old railway tunnel and the pipes come into the centre there. Large rats down there though!

At the far end, as you walked through a narrower part to get to the bus station, wasn't there a supermarket on the right? Also a Bird's shop upstairs, and a wool shop just as you crossed the footbridge over Parliament St.

My memories of Vic centre are seeing Emmet's clock for the first time, what a wonder, [1972?]and being on an escalator which came to an abrupt stop, making everyone sway forward. Then to find it was my youngest getting on with his dad behind me, who had pressed the emergency button as he got on! Bless his little cotton socks.

katyjay said:

At the far end, as you walked through a narrower part to get to the bus station, wasn't there a supermarket on the right?

I think the entrance to the bus station was upstairs and the supermarket that was downstairs was called 'Scan'

The District Heating System.

This was an horendous system. The heat use was metered by some form of vial of liquid evaporating.

Old age pensioners who could not afford to run it would use electric fires, which also evaporated the liquid. So they would still be charged.

My old man found a way to get around those evaporative vials, he sellotaped them up for most of the charge period, removing the tape about two days before the guy came to check the heat usage.

That pub on Glasshouse Street was The White Hart, Charlie. It became known as 'Owd Boots' for a few years but now has it's former name again I think. There was also a pub inside the Vic Centre near that same side entrance. Can't remember the name but 'The Princess' seems to ring a bell for some reason.

Other places in the centre were (and are) Jessops and Boots of course. At the Parliament Street entrance on the right as you walked in was The Milton's Head pub which has been discussed elsewhere on here.

Wasn't there two pubs on Glasshouse street Stu?? The White Hart on the corner and one further down towards St Anns Road or whatever that section of road was called along the market.

The Boozer upstairs had a name similar to the 'Bench and Bar' for a period I know it was not called that but it was certainly close

The Boozer upstairs had a name similar to the 'Bench and Bar' for a period I know it was not called that but it was certainly close

The upstairs boozer (it overlooked Parliament St) was The Milton's Head. that part of the VC is now occupied by Jessops.

It will , never, ever until Hell freezes over be J**n L***s.

Have a strong opinion about that one do we Bamber? !rotfl!

The upstairs boozer (it overlooked Parliament St) was The Milton's Head. that part of the VC is now occupied by Jessops.

Are you sure it is occupied by Jessops bamber? I thought it was where the first floor of Boots is? Just past Currys.

Jessops overlooks Milton Street surely? I stand to be corrected of course, as the grey matter is becoming susceptible to death by alcohol. :biggrin:

Was it not called 'The New Miltons' or summat Bamber?

Wasn't there two pubs on Glasshouse street Stu?? The White Hart on the corner and one further down towards St Anns Road or whatever that section of road was called along the market.

There still actually is a pub right next to The White Hart, it's called 'The New Foresters'.

Map

It's a pub mainly used by the gay community, specifically women. Although being next to The White Hart it's address is St. Anns Street.

When you say the market, do you mean the original Victoria Market that faced the old Trent bus depot on Huntingdon St.? I don't actually remember another pub down Glasshouse Street but I may be wrong there.

The Milton's Head is an interesting one. I used to drink in there. It had a downstairs bar and an upper one too that looked down onto Parliament Street. Inside it was very much a typical Home Ales pub of the time with all that green velour seating etc. Walking into the Vic Centre it was on the right hand side with an entrance just inside the centre. It could also be entered upstairs just before walking over the bridge over Parliament Street if I recall correctly.

I always knew it as 'The Milton's Head', but that 'New Milton's tag seems to ring a bell. I believe there was a Milton's Head in the area close by prior to the Victoria Centre being built. This may offer an explanation?

I always knew it as 'The Milton's Head', but that 'New Milton's tag seems to ring a bell. I believe there was a Milton's Head in the area close by prior to the Victoria Centre being built. This may offer an explanation?

Yes indeed, the "Miltons Head" was on Parliament Street, just around the corner from Milton Street/Mansfield Road. It was demolished when they built the VC. It was an old, shabby pub by then - I only went in it once and memory is of a very dark, depressing place - I think it was a Shippo's pub at that point. I also think the one in the VC was officially the "New Miltons Head" - but I could be wrong!

I don't actually remember another pub down Glasshouse Street but I may be wrong there.

There used to be a pub on the corner of Glasshouse Street and Rick Street up until around 1970 but I can't recall the name.

Mrs Frank's brother used to have a room/flat on Rick Street just a few doors away. Never went in as I was much too young ;)

Yeah they needed summat to drink out of

Now that little lot had me laughing out loud at 9:30 on a saturday morning!

When I was last up there they were OK - but that would be in about '75. Thing was, if you were pissed and got on the wrong lift and out on the wrong corridor there was no way to know - as I recall. You could then spend days walking around trying to figure out where you were and where it was in relation to where you wanted to be!