Because if I'm upstairs it's easiest. Then I cut past the little market stalls and down Clumber St.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the front entrance says INTU, does the side exit say OUTOF?

An interesting article in the Nottingham Post today shows photos of the Victoria Centre construction. http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Nottingham-s-Victoria-Centre-years-pictures/pictures-25712

In related news lets hope the latest plans for Broadmarsh Shopping Center go ahead

I know TBI, but I try to avoid fat plebs with double buggies, doddering old bu66ers who always tend to stop dead in front of me and smelly sods. Sorry, but I hate today's society.

• Upvote 1

I do know what you mean FLY2, it's like the slogan from that horrible ex-rag News of the World, ' all human life is here '.

Walkng down Clumber St and looking around reminds me how fortunate I am.....and at least I'm not treading in shit.

• Upvote 1

Yes, all human life is there. The trouble is, there's a lot of unhuman life there too.

There probably has, and the victims needed fumigating no doubt.

Hello Folks. I've been following the Vic Centre/Broadmarsh developments for a while with some "insider" knowledge!

Firstly, the image of the Broadmarsh is the original proposal and when (if?) it ever goes ahead Intu are planning a much reduced scheme. You can't blame them, the original 300 shops, covered streets leading almost up to the station was unfeasible once the recession hit, and personally I don't think Nottm could sustain it. All well and good - anything to improve the eyesore of the present Broadmarsh. And exactly what are the lovely features which will be destroyed according to those on this thread? The grotty, empty and decaying former shops all around the Carrington Street/Canal Street junction??!

More worring is Intu's grip on city development now it owns both centres, it is in control of the city centre's development to it's own time-frame. They have announced that once the initial phase of the Vic Centre is done next year they will move on to Broadmarsh and then eventually back to extend the Vic to the north... economic conditions willing... by about 2020. Meantime, Nottingham is left without a decent shopping centre of any size.
MM

Welcome to Nottstalgia MM. Maybe you've posted before but I missed it. In my opinion Victoria Centre is much improved, so far, it is looking slightly more like a mall in America, bright and airy. I don't think Nottingham needs 2 big malls. Knock Broadmarsh down completely ....... but don't know what should be built in its place.

• Upvote 1

P.S. In reply to all the comments on the delightful new front of the Vic Centre (NOT!) Intu was prohibited from changing the original concrete building, all they were allowed to do by planning was add a facade over it. So blame the Council instead!

(No, I don't work for Intu by the way! Just know people in the field and have followed the case.)

But will the Emmett clock come back now it's a space for fashion shows?? Hmmmmm.....

Not a fan of the 1970s looking perspex and formica makeover of the centre but Intu can't be blamed for the condition of the steps. According to an Evening Post article in April the building and steps at that end of the bridge belong to a Liverpool property management company. Demolish the bridge it's an eyesore anyway.

• Upvote 2

I was in the Victoria Centre yesterday and it's so different now. My son-in-law owns a company that's done a lot of the electrical work there. I haven't been in for ages but found the place clean, bright and a good place to shop. I must add that I never use the main entrance as I use the lift from the car park. There seemed to be a lot of new business in the Centre and a lot of work being done on unfinished premises. Everywhere seemed clean and fresh. Another thing that pleased me was the Emmit Water clock. From reading some posts on here I thought that it was stuck in a corner with minimal seating. Although I would prefer it in it's original position I found that it was in a good, spacious place with plenty of seating for viewing the beautiful clock. In my opinion they've done a great job with the Victoria Centre and when all the work is finished it'll be even better. :)

• Upvote 3

It really hurts me to say this but if you want a nice light and airy shopping center without the rubbish you get in the Vic center either human or otherwise go 20 odd miles down the road to D*rby's Intu center, very nice and friendly,clean ,good places to eat with clean tables and when I was there there were no chav offspring running riot,sorry to mention the "D" word

Rog

I thoroughly agree Rog, also Meadowhall is better than what we have here.

Now then, does the number 17 go as far as Sheffield?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Victoria Centre was bright and airy and the Engineer and the crew did a great job on the water clock,I walked over the footbridge and took photo's facing up and down Parliament St.from the bridge itself.Intu have forgotten this area, the original brown 70' s tiles have peeling emulsion on them; wires and trunking can be seen- the wee wee stairs were dreadful!! What did amaze me was people queueing at Gregg's and a Halloween shop upstairs... another con??...I thought with us celebrating November 5th,we left this to the USA?? A money spinner or a slow erosion of our culture.... maybe both!!

• 2 months later...

The District Heating system is still in use - it feeds the Viccy Centre and the Nottm Trent. If you go into the Red car park there is a door into the old railway tunnel and the pipes come into the centre there. Large rats down there though!

The doors were open but there's no one in?

WP_000131_zpscc2e5db8.jpgWP_000135_zpsa38e8645.jpgWP_000129_zpsedd1bf40.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • 11 months later...

Witnessed the demolition of the station and Taylor Woodrow's building of Victoria Centre.

There were a number of booths near the side entrance to the downstairs market. John Winfield ran the paper shop one,there was a heel bar and a hippy type jewellery booth.

Next to Western Jean Company was a boys outfitters called Orange Hand.

I had a girlfriend that worked in Wimpys.. wasn't it near Miss Selfridge then?

Hippo mentioned Loons in an earlier post.. I'll Leave It was a shop for those.

Scan,Lord John,Etam,Peter Lord,Chelsea Girl ,Cecil Gee,Jeff's were a few that lasted..the pink and turquoise refit in the late 80's killed it for me...what was that food court all about?

I took this is 2005 and it's surprising how much has changed in just over 10 years.

The entrance to Vic Centre has been completely changed and remodelled; the road & traffic layout is different; on the left up Mansfield Road, York House has been demolished; and the photo was taken from Trinity Square car park which is no longer there.

vic05_zpsq2ag2lj6.jpg

• Upvote 5