• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the front entrance says INTU, does the side exit say OUTOF?

An interesting article in the Nottingham Post today shows photos of the Victoria Centre construction. http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Nottingham-s-Victoria-Centre-years-pictures/pictures-25712

In related news lets hope the latest plans for Broadmarsh Shopping Center go ahead

2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Road-marking going on at the time, possibly changing the road layout as you took the photo CliffTon. 

.....although it's changed again since then, because these days all traffic coming down Mansfield Road has to turn right into Shakespeare Street to go the complicated way round.

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

Was the pub Blueberry's then? 

No, but I remember it when it was Blueberry's. I went in that place quite often in the late 70s - mid 80s.

In 1978 it was still The Regent; became Blueberry's around 81 or 82; became Ledger's around 85 - 86; and I've lost track of its names and never been in it since those days.

As regards,The Mansfield Arms-started out under that name from 1894- 1973,it then became The Regent,this lasted until 1983.

Traded under the name Blueberry's from 1983-1988-renamed Ledgers  then for a time it was Bensons,and now Keogh's.

My mates Dad ran it..Leonard, Irish fella..he went onto run The Wilberforce..which had a strange spirits law.

Ivor Thirst..neon was on the gable end of Mansfield Arms.

When Lynda La Plante's Widows was on the box there was a search in the TV series for dead criminal Harry's ledgers containing info on ' jobs'

Got off the 18 one morning some bright spark had sprayed HARRYS in front of Ledgers.

You are awful..but i like you!

If you look carefully the shadow of the Stationmaster.. next to that is my late Dads shadow.. He took a snap from the other side.

Gee is the fella that took the snap.

Remember the day so well..half an hour previously I had my hand under a rubber flap of a Roneo Copier.. and photocopied my handprint... 1967.. done in the Design Centre ( Sandfield House ).

Then we tore down to Arkwright St to catch more mayhem...my Brother and i are on some published photos there also.

I always feel pangs of sadness when i walk around that area( Mum/Dad etc..).

22 hours ago, iandawson said:

If you view the link our Michael Booth put up in post .1 little old me is in photo .6..this picture made the front page of The Evening Journal in 1967.

For anyone who can't be bothered to go back to the top.......

victoria_zpsnwem740k.jpg

The building you can see through the open doors is the Golden Key, the Shipstones pub next door to the Moulin Rouge.

moulin_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Right here's one for Hippo or Fly and TBI..in about 1966..I would have been 5!!..a group came to the Moulin Rouge called The Cavemen?.. dressed in fur over beat type suits..as a kid i was terrified.. the screaming was so loud.

The owner was divorced and her Son..Gary was a mate..he was a bit lonely..we saw Batman..15 times.."Shark Repellant" in his cape!!

• 2 months later...

This last weekend when I was in Nottingham with some of our family, we went to the Victoria Centre as I wanted to show our grandchildren the water clock.  My son had already told his little lad (our 6 year old grandson) that the water made the clock work, but when we got to it, the little lad immediately noticed that the stream of water was missing the 'paddles?' on the wheel that was turning.  He decided that it must therefore be an electric clock and not a water clock ..... "out of the mouths of babes".  He still threw a coin in the water and made a wish which he later said was that "Father Christmas will tell daddy some winning lottery numbers!"   

• Upvote 4

I had no idea the Emmet water fountain was still there. I remember walking through the Victoria centre on an almost daily basis many years ago and the clock was always playing that irritating piece by a Scarlatti or one of their contemporaries! 

Just realised the music was written by Rameau!

• Upvote 1