Various old shops, now gone.

In the thread I referred to earlier   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/8345-sign-of-four-magic-emporium-derby-rd-nottingham/?  there were several photos which showed all the Sign of Four locations which have been mentioned. At the moment those photos are missing due to the Photobucket ransomware, but I'll replace them in the next day or so.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before self-service.  When there was a sales assistant in the middle of the counter at M & S.  

Posted Images

Nottstalgia "Motorcycle shops in old broad marsh" thread. Don't know how to do the link tricks.

Richmond House canal st opposite narrow boat pub was a Hooleys cars then bikes. One of the posters pals slid his bike through the window.

Edit:

Poster, OLDACE.

Shop Opposite bowling green pub before it was renamed Narrow boat.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sitvals had some tat in later years. I remember buying a picture from there, and the bleddy frame kept falling apart. 

'Hard as Nails' and some masking tape soon sorted that out !

• 3 weeks later...

Horspools were great bakers (cue largo from New World Symphony!) and as a lad in the late 50`s when we moved to Rudd, it was my job early on a Saturday morning to walk up the village to buy a large loaf from Horspools. The shop was at the front of the bakehouse and at that time in the morning the bread was still warm and the aroma of freshly baked bread was mouthwatering. The loaf was wrapped in soft tissue paper but by the time I got back home I regret to say that getting on for half of that golden crust had somehow disappeared!

Regarding Ashmores, I always thought that it was fascinating to have to walk uphill inside a shop to get to the back.

• Like 1

The loaf was wrapped in soft tissue paper but by the time I got back home I regret to say that getting on for half of that golden crust had somehow disappeared!

Strange how that happens to bread. Never happened with sliced bread, though.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, DaveN said:

I think it's where the Acorn Care Home is now.

The firm I once worked for had a warehouse there until the went "Under"  !!smile2

Demolished to make way.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Surprised S&P were willing to get a copy of The Ginger Man, considering it was banned for obscenity in a number of places and the somewhat puritan attitude they seemed to have (almost as bad as WHS).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got kitted out for tech school at S&P, Parker cartridge fountain pen, propelling pencil and leads, set squares, compass, dividers, protractor, scale rule and something I have still got, a Thornton Comprehensive slide rule.

• Like 1
On 6/28/2018 at 2:24 AM, IAN123. said:

sugg-sports-king-street-branch-nottinghaSuggs Sports on a1960 King Street.

Note Sheltons above.

There is reference to Suggs in a NS Beecrofts thread. (A bit of memory mining here and maybe some inevitable duplication)

Beecrofts had a shop on Pelham street which, it is reported, later became Suggs toys and sports gear. I can't remember exact location on Pelham st of the shop but it may have been ex-Beecrofts, but I've a feeling it may have been higher up opposite the Thurland. I remember buying toys in the early 50s from Suggs of Pelham st and their peculiar motto: 'See U Get Good Service.'

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Grand photo Ian, not only Commercial Square around which a lot of my childhood revolved, but on your photo it's raining!! 

I have a photo of the building in 1875 when it was occupied by a chemists, Huskinsons, who also offered dentistry facilities!

• Like 1

We once had a shopfitting job on at B & P, to get all the brick rammle out from the 1st floor we contructed a chute & I parked my wagon on the road with the chute on the back, that canopy was strong enough to walk on ! Near to where rhat J4 van is parked.

About 1970-71 ish !

All weekend work I remember, luvely jubbly

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Before McDonalds.67045.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgWigfalls, Early Learning Centre and Millets on a deserted but sunny Exchange Walk.

When I worked in the city centre, I was walking past that Wigfalls when two scrotes ran out with a portable telly. I followed them up Exchange Walk and managed to attract the attention of a copper in Slab Square. They were followed into another shop and arrested. The Wigfalls shop manager, who actually knew who I was, never even said ta.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Sorry Ian, can't provide much help with that, I was never into ( read couldn't afford ) model railway stuff. Attenborough Models was up Arky near Blacknells bikes though. It's been mentioned on Nottstalgia before if you search.   

• Like 1