Various old shops, now gone.

There was a Burtons tailors at the junction of Friar Lane and the Market Square. I bought a smashing suit there in around 1990. (I've still got that one too , it don't fit mind!!)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before self-service.  When there was a sales assistant in the middle of the counter at M & S.  

Posted Images

It was still there in 1981. went with my late dad when he went to have a suit made to measure. He told the tailor i was his girlfriend........i nearly sunk thru the floor, i was 21 he was about 63!!! I soon put them in the picture!! Bless him

• 1 year later...
The one in the Old Market Square, same premises that became a Halfords cycle store?

I think the Market Square MacFisheries was next door to Halfords. This shows Halfords being the unit immediately next to NatWest http://www.pictureth...008594&prevUrl= so MacF was to the right of Halfords (unless Halfords expanded into two shop units)

Started work in an office on Friar Lane in 1963 and as office junior one my jobs was to get over to Mac fisheries to buy the catering size tin of Nescafe. As mentioned earlier, it was closed following some problems with lack of cleanliness but whether this was just the South Parade shop or the whole business I am unaware.

Christine, Farmers was on the corner of Exchange Walk, the opposite corner was and still is National Westminster

Bank, [as it was called then]. The only Farmer's store I remember if this is the right one, sold fabric as you

walked in the corner door, ladies clothing in the rest of the store.

Christine, Farmers was on the corner of Exchange Walk, the opposite corner was and still is National Westminster

Bank, [as it was called then]. The only Farmer's store I remember if this is the right one, sold fabric as you

walked in the corner door, ladies clothing in the rest of the store.

I guess this is the place, between Exchange Walk and the Flying Horse http://www.pictureth...002421&prevUrl=

:) Hi Kath, you're right about the bank being on the corner, opposite Farmers; realised this later. The problem was, I had a recollection of there being a huge space at the side of MacFisheries - this probably would have been parking space for those working on South Parade. :)

:) Forgot to mention 'Farmers'. You're right Kath - with your remarkable memory - the shop sold material and clothes and minor goods such as toiletries.

I recall the impact of 'Op Art' during the 60's; I bought a coat: orange and green squares from Farmers. The coat always felt rigid, I tried desperately to 'wear it in' - coats were expensive back then - but it always felt uncomfortable.

Farmers had narrow, windy staircases and was absolutely packed Saturdays in the 60's - you had to squeeze past the shoppers. :)

That bank at the top of Exchange Walk was where my parents had their account - NatWest, previously National Provincial and originally Smith's Bank. When my mum died in 2000 and I had to wind up her affairs I was intrigued to see that it was still referred to in official NatWest terminology as "Smith's Branch".

:) Hi Cliff Ton thanks for the photograph of Farmers; wonderful architecture - almost Italianate. Did you spot 'the ghost' in the road - looks like horses. :)

Agreed! If you didn't know that photo was Nottingham, it could almost pass for somewhere like Venice (ok, pushing it a bit)

That bank at the top of Exchange Walk was where my parents had their account - NatWest, previously National Provincial and originally Smith's Bank. When my mum died in 2000 and I had to wind up her affairs I was intrigued to see that it was still referred to in official NatWest terminology as "Smith's Branch".

That was also my bank for a while, and I remember the Smith's bit was even part of the branch address printed on my cheques

• 3 months later...

I'm not 100% sure but I think they had a bit in the Fish Market in the Victoria Centre. I used to deliver to a couple of stalls in there and it rings a bell (Maybe I am just recalling seeing their own delivery vehicle also making drops to customers in there.

• 1 year later...